Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28bryan
This sounds like a good deal to me.
+1
Not really familiar with BMR products but maybe they can do some kind of update to match their newer k-members so this doesn't happen again?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Dang that thing got busted up...
Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Dang that thing got busted up...
Happened backing up. I had heard a popping noise the last couple of times i drove it. Thoght a ball joint or something was starting to go bad. Not this..
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coppertone
I don't think it was ever disputed that it wasn't a BMR part. The bit about needing proof of purchase is because most companies only offer warranty or special service to the original buyer. (non-transferable warranties)
Most companies....

Ive had several companies just ask for a name, address and the broken piece. Those are companies with GREAT costumer service. It shows though, the company i speak of has been in business for 20 years+ now.

A company can simply whip their *** with things like this but it goes beyond that, a smart business man will attempt to work with you to keep you ( the customer) happy. At the end of the day its your product thats broken in the hands of a potential returning customer, what would you do? Atleast they're working with OP which is cool. But personally it just looks like they are not concerned about how their customers feel.

Originally Posted by djfury05
Agreed.. BMR dropped the ball big time here.. the amount of business potentially lost from this thread alone is worth way more than the price of a single k-member.

Ding ding ding.

Last edited by adamantium; 05-29-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Micah41091
Happened backing up. I had heard a popping noise the last couple of times i drove it. Thoght a ball joint or something was starting to go bad. Not this..
Them reverse wheelies...will get ya every time..
Old 05-29-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Junkie

It probably just caught your attention while backing up and had been breaking slowly over time from normal daily driving. A lot of lateral shock is absorbed through the k-member. Vertical movement is softened through the suspension.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by adamantium
Most companies....

Ive had several companies just ask for a name, address and the broken piece. Those are companies with GREAT costumer service. It shows though, the company i speak of has been in business for 20 years+ now.

A company can simply whip their *** with things like this but it goes beyond that, a smart business man will attempt to work with you to keep you ( the customer) happy. At the end of the day its your product thats broken in the hands of a potential returning customer, what would you do? Atleast they're working with OP which is cool. But personally it just looks like they are not concerned about how their customers feel.

Ding ding ding.
Not concerned? They've been emailing OP and posting on this forum sympathizing with the situation and offering multiple solutions. That's tons more than lots of companies would do. It's quite simple: This issue hasn't been resolved because, 1. OP can't prove he was the original purchaser, 2. OP wants no solution short of a free replacement.

I can't say I disagree with what OP wants, but you have to be realistic here. As one poster said, we aren't dealing with Craftsman wrenches here.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here.

To everyone saying this should be recalled and replaced... BMR isn't an OEM company held the same standards as GM. It's aftermarket "off-road use" only part. That means there are no implied or stated warranties required and definitely no recall notices. BMR may choose to warranty a part at their discretion, but that's it.

Yes, is it bad that the k-member could annihilate the car if it breaks. But, by buying a part that is exempt from governed automotive standards, you are also exempt from the protection such law grants you. Remember, GM only does recalls if "compelled" whether through "voluntary" means or other. But the point is, x number of incidents have to occur and be reported to the NHTSA and then investigated. And then, once verified through the investigation, the NHSTA provides GM with a list of solutions. One is a recall and the other is reengineering of the faulty part. Without this, it's very likely GM, Toyota, et al would just sweep it under the rug.

Take the 20% BMR offered and get another K-member or buy a new GM piece.

Last edited by JakeFusion; 05-29-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here.

To everyone saying this should be recalled and replaced... BMR isn't an OEM company held the same standards as GM. It's aftermarket "off-road use" only part. That means there are no implied or stated warranties required and definitely no recall notices. BMR may choose to warranty a part at their discretion, but that's it.

Yes, is it bad that the k-member could annihilate the car if it breaks. But, by buying a part that is exempt from governed automotive standards, you are also exempt from the protection such law grants you. Remember, GM only does recalls if "compelled" whether through "voluntary" means or other. But the point is, x number of incidents have to occur and be reported to the NHTSA and then investigated. And then, once verified through the investigate, the NHSTA provides GM with a list of solutions. One is a recall and the other is reengineering of the faulty part. Without this, it's very likely GM, Toyota, et al would just sweep it under the rug.

Take the 20% BMR offered and get another K-member or buy a new GM piece.
you sir are wrong and do not know what you are talking about. This is from the K members description from Bmr "This additional weight reduction allows us to use larger diameter tubing and thicker mounting plates for additional strength over the competition. This means that you can use the K-member for street use, road race, autocross, or drag strip use." With that being said it is not an "off-road use" only item. Its still a non ware item that is the most crucial suspension part under the car that should have never broke! and could potentially be very harmful, dangerous, or deadly from breaking in the right situations.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Coppertone
Not concerned? They've been emailing OP and posting on this forum sympathizing with the situation and offering multiple solutions. That's tons more than lots of companies would do. It's quite simple: This issue hasn't been resolved because, 1. OP can't prove he was the original purchaser, 2. OP wants no solution short of a free replacement.

I can't say I disagree with what OP wants, but you have to be realistic here. As one poster said, we aren't dealing with Craftsman wrenches here.
We've only had 4 or 5 emails back and forth. the last I sent them wasn't even replied to and I haven't been offered multiple solutions just 2. I gave them the information the k member was bought under and they no longer have those records because there system has been updated. that is not my fault. All records should have been backed up before throwing out an old system and having countless customers now left in the dark. But I am glad you agree with what I want. I just wish everyone could see it from my shoes and my point of view.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you sir are wrong and do not know what you are talking about. This is from the K members description from Bmr "This additional weight reduction allows us to use larger diameter tubing and thicker mounting plates for additional strength over the competition. This means that you can use the K-member for street use, road race, autocross, or drag strip use." With that being said it is not an "off-road use" only item. Its still a non ware item that is the most crucial suspension part under the car that should have never broke! and could potentially be very harmful, dangerous, or deadly from breaking in the right situations.
Funny that you NEGLECT to mention the other information on their site regarding their product:

Originally Posted by BMR website
Warranty
BMR product applications are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of (2) two years from the date of sale to the original purchaser.
If you want to uphold BMR to their claims regarding their product, YOU MUST ALSO OBSERVE THEIR WARRANTY PERIOD, which has EXPIRED.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

We've only had 4 or 5 emails back and forth. the last I sent them wasn't even replied to and I haven't been offered multiple solutions just 2. I gave them the information the k member was bought under and they no longer have those records because there system has been updated. that is not my fault. All records should have been backed up before throwing out an old system and having countless customers now left in the dark. But I am glad you agree with what I want. I just wish everyone could see it from my shoes and my point of view.
I'm just saying that 4 or 5 emails and posting on a forum is a ****-ton more than other vendors would give regarding an 8 year old part. I totally see if from your shoes, but, I also see it from BMR's shoes.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The reason I never replied to your last e-mail is because all it consisted of was the most recent pictures you posted here. Sending me more pictures isn't going to change what we are going to be able to do for you. Unless you can proivide proof that you are the original purchaser or proof of purchase than we are not going to be able to do more than we have offered. The information you gave us did not lead back to anything, you gave me the name John Clay but I have no such name in our system so there is nothing I can do with that. We are more than willing to work with you and have shown that but you are unable to provide us with any information that we need to be able to make a full warranty claim.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Funny that you NEGLECT to mention the other information on their site regarding their product:

If you want to uphold BMR to their claims regarding their product, YOU MUST ALSO OBSERVE THEIR WARRANTY PERIOD, which has EXPIRED.
Funny that on there description on there site or rpmspeed they dont mention a warranty period maybe you should do your homework before you put your foot in your mouth again.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
The reason I never replied to your last e-mail is because all it consisted of was the most recent pictures you posted here. Sending me more pictures isn't going to change what we are going to be able to do for you. Unless you can proivide proof that you are the original purchaser or proof of purchase than we are not going to be able to do more than we have offered. The information you gave us did not lead back to anything, you gave me the name John Clay but I have no such name in our system so there is nothing I can do with that. We are more than willing to work with you and have shown that but you are unable to provide us with any information that we need to be able to make a full warranty claim.
Then what about your old system? no longer have ways to look at that or review any previous customers? That doesn't mean we should be left in the dark. A single person to keep track of receipts over years<A company keeping track of customers.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Micah, come on man. I want you to get a new part for free but be real. What if my stock K-member has a weld that shears and I go to my local dealership and show them and ask for a free replacement. What do you think they would tell me?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is from their CURRENT product page. Yes the new one is beefed up vs the old one. Obviously we can't go back in time and see the website for the product back when your model was the current one, but I would suspect it has a disclaimer on it like all the others of the time. I know it is just speculation, but I don't think applying current product specs to an old model is exactly accurate.

Funny that on there description on there site or rpmspeed they dont mention a warranty period maybe you should do your homework before you put your foot in your mouth again.
He didn't pull that out of thin air, that warranty is posted right on their site on the warranty and terms page like most every other vendor has.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=disclaimer

And another interesting part there:

Purchaser understands and recognizes that racing parts, equipment and services by or manufactured and/or sold by BMR, are subject to varied conditions due to the manner in which they are to be installed and used. The acceptability and suitability of any part sold or manufactured by BMR for a particular application is solely the purchaser's decision. BMR makes no warranties whatsoever, expressed or implied, or or written, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY. The right to make changes in the design or add to or improve on their product without incurring any obligation to install the same on products previously manufactured is expressly reserved. Buyer agrees to indemnify and hold Seller harmless from any claim, action or demand arising out of or incident to Buyer's installation or use of products purchased from BMR.
So BMR in fact is going above and beyond, and putting some of their terms aside to help. They easily could have pointed to the terms and said sorry no exceptions, but they are making an exception for you as it is.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually we do have our warranty information on our website and we also send out a copy of our terms and conditions with every part we ship out which clearly states what our warranty is.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Sparky summed it up with the quote from BMR's website. Micah, anything they are willing to do is going above and beyond what they have to do. Be thankful for that.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to chime in (and I'll admit, I have not read ALL 9 pages, but a large chunk)...

IMO, BMR has done the right thing here. They offered a decent discount on a new one. If I read it correctly, they also offered the repair (re-weld) the original damaged one at no cost. While, yeah, it'd be stupendous if they just threw a new one at the guy, I think their remediation options are appropriate and indicative of a stand-up company.

While I can understand how these things can happen (loss of receipt, someone else buying for OP) and sympathize with the OP (I mean, it's been 8 years, who keeps receipts that long), the OP purchased the item through someone else and seems to have no supporting documentation of the purchase. Additionally, BMR has gone as far as searching their systems to actually find documents supporting the original purchase, which they have unable to do.

So, again, I think what they are doing is more than appropriate. Would be it badass to give him a new one in the name of goodwill? Sure. Should the pitchfork-wielding mob show up at their doorstep because they aren't? No, not at all.

$.02 deposited.

Quick Reply: Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?