Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Steering Issues

After replacing rack, tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arms, springs and shocks, rear LCA bushings (rubber) and all link kits - I really hate how the car feels. I also had it aligned.

It's very hard to turn the wheel; it wasn't that hard before this work. If I'm on the highway and I take a slight turn, I can let go of the wheel and the steering pretty much stays put. I've tried adjusting the pre-load on the rack only to create a slight vibration. I had marked it and put it back to the original adjustment.

BTW - I have Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires.... and I hate them. I have my fronts at 32 psi and the rears at 30.

I'm at a loss.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
After replacing rack, upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, - I really hate how the car feels. I also had it aligned.

It's very hard to turn the wheel; it wasn't that hard before this work.

I'm at a loss.
I also replaced these parts and wound up with very stiff steering. Its better than having the excessive play from before. I just learn to live with it.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After replacing rack, tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arms, springs and shocks, rear LCA bushings (rubber) and all link kits - I really hate how the car feels. I also had it aligned.

It's very hard to turn the wheel; it wasn't that hard before this work. If I'm on the highway and I take a slight turn, I can let go of the wheel and the steering pretty much stays put. I've tried adjusting the pre-load on the rack only to create a slight vibration. I had marked it and put it back to the original adjustment.

BTW - I have Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires.... and I hate them. I have my fronts at 32 psi and the rears at 30.

I'm at a loss.
Did you get a printout of the alignment settings? If yes, can you post them up here? If it's not aligned correctly, it can affect steering effort.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Did you get a printout of the alignment settings? If yes, can you post them up here? If it's not aligned correctly, it can affect steering effort.
I can get used to it as well ... but the tight steering coupled with erratic and twitchy steering makes for a stressful drive.... and is no fun to drive anymore.

Here are the alignment specs:

Left:
Camber: 0.00
Caster:5.9
Toe: -0.01

Right:
Camber: .3
Caster:5.1
Toe: -0.02
Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm83
I also replaced these parts and wound up with very stiff steering. Its better than having the excessive play from before. I just learn to live with it.
If you're driving along at 45 -ish ... can you take a slight curve, can you let go of your wheel and it stay?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I can get used to it as well ... but the tight steering coupled with erratic and twitchy steering makes for a stressful drive.... and is no fun to drive anymore.

Here are the alignment specs:

Left:
Camber: 0.00
Caster:5.9
Toe: -0.01

Right:
Camber: .3
Caster:5.1
Toe: -0.02

"TOE" is short for "toe-in". By convention, a positive toe number indicates "toe in", whereas a "minus" toe number on the printout, as yours is, indicates a toe out condition. I think your "toe out" is part of your problem, and usually, in order to have the car go straight on crowned roads, the right side usually has a little more caster than the left side, which is the opposite of how your car is set. The "zero" camber on the left is good, but the right side should be zero too....

If you're driving along at 45 -ish ... can you take a slight curve, can you let go of your wheel and it stay?
The wheel shouldn't stay turned left. What year is your car? Does it have a "rag joint" in the steering column? If so, check it, and see if it's deteriorated and binding....
Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

"TOE" is short for "toe-in". By convention, a positive toe number indicates "toe in", whereas a "minus" toe number on the printout, as yours is, indicates a toe out condition. I think your "toe out" is part of your problem, and usually, in order to have the car go straight on crowned roads, the right side usually has a little more caster than the left side, which is the opposite of how your car is set. The "zero" camber on the left is good, but the right side should be zero too....

The wheel shouldn't stay turned left. What year is your car? Does it have a "rag joint" in the steering column? If so, check it, and see if it's deteriorated and binding....
It's a `99 TA. I'm not sure if it has a rag joint. I didn't drive the TA today ... so I don't have it with me to check.

I too was concerned about it having toe-out.
What would the optimal settings be for the alignment on these cars? From what I've read, 4.5* seems to be good for camber on each side with 1/16" toe in for each side as well.

This is the second shop that has adjusted the front end with very similar specs. How do shops respond to the customer telling them what angles they want?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

It's a `99 TA. I'm not sure if it has a rag joint. I didn't drive the TA today ... so I don't have it with me to check.

I too was concerned about it having toe-out.
What would the optimal settings be for the alignment on these cars? From what I've read, 4.5* seems to be good for camber on each side with 1/16" toe in for each side as well.

This is the second shop that has adjusted the front end with very similar specs. How do shops respond to the customer telling them what angles they want?

If your car is a '99, I believe you have the newer style steering shaft, which went into the cars when the LS1 engine became the standard V-8. No rag joint is used on these cars.

What I strive for in alignment settings, since I'm not racing the car, is this:

Camber 0*, both sides

Caster 5.5* right side; 5* left side

Toe In 0.03* each side

1/16" toe each side, equals 1/8" total, which is a little much. The number of 4.5* that you refer to is a CASTER number. If you had 4.5* camber, the tire would be rolling on it's sidewall....
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your car is a '99, I believe you have the newer style steering shaft, which went into the cars when the LS1 engine became the standard V-8. No rag joint is used on these cars.

What I strive for in alignment settings, since I'm not racing the car, is this:

Camber 0*, both sides

Caster 5.5* right side; 5* left side

Toe In 0.03* each side

1/16" toe each side, equals 1/8" total, which is a little much. The number of 4.5* that you refer to is a CASTER number. If you had 4.5* camber, the tire would be rolling on it's sidewall....
That helps. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

No rag joint ... but you were dead on in regards to binding. What I found is that the steering coupler was indeed binding.

I loosened it at the rack and was able to actually tap it down at least 1/2".
I was starting to second guess damn near every repair that I've done to my suspension.

Now the steering is fluid, predictable.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

....Now the steering is fluid, predictable.
Good to hear!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Adjusted my toe-in

This is an old thread but I made a very positive adjustment that is worth mentioning.

Based on the alignment specs, and the car has a bad pull to the R, I adjusted my toe IN for 1/16" total. The result was asounding. No more twitching the wheel constantly to stay in my lane on the highway. Straight line tracking is perfect. Steering feels more responsive and even going over bumps feels more solid and not as harsh. It also didn't have a slight "shimmy" that I occasionally feel.

Both Firestone who aligned the TA after getting tires (a few years ago), and Kauffman tire, who aligned it after changing control arm bushings and ball joints, had similar specs. The caster is what it is and is out of range, the camber is correct, but neither shop had any toe IN.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an old thread but I made a very positive adjustment that is worth mentioning.

Based on the alignment specs, and the car has a bad pull to the R, I adjusted my toe IN for 1/16" total. The result was asounding. No more twitching the wheel constantly to stay in my lane on the highway. Straight line tracking is perfect. Steering feels more responsive and even going over bumps feels more solid and not as harsh. It also didn't have a slight "shimmy" that I occasionally feel.

Both Firestone who aligned the TA after getting tires (a few years ago), and Kauffman tire, who aligned it after changing control arm bushings and ball joints, had similar specs. The caster is what it is and is out of range, the camber is correct, but neither shop had any toe IN.
bringing up an old thread,but this is the exact same thing happening to my car.been driving me nuts.hopefully this is my problem,as it has all new suspension parts and new alignment too.thanks for posting this.

Quick Reply: Steering Issues