Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bought some used Konis.. A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought some used Konis.. A few questions

Found some rear adjustable (8241) yellow Konis on craigslist that were pulled from a car that was parted out. Not sure of miles, and they're not the prettiest but for $75 for the pair, it can't be much worse than my stock ones at 75k miles.

I was going to put them in a bit ago, but noticed

1. I don't have either adjustment **** (was planning on just using a wrench if that'll work)

2. The shaft doesn't 'return' instantly like I thought shocks were supposed to. Maybe this is normal, I don't know, but after I left them outside in the garage for a bit and came back, they seemed to be slowing returning.

Maybe it's because they're cold in the garage? (~30-40 degrees) If not, and they're toast, I was thinking I could just find a place to re-valve them for me (no idea how much that costs)

*******The first picture shows the shaft in.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

What pushed the rod out is gas pressure. If they didn't move they'd be de-gassed and that's not ideal. They are, that's good. They are cold which makes the oil thick and the seals stiff, which slows the speed they extend. But they adjust rebound, which is how fast they extend.... more rebound damping = slower which to some degree is what you want.

I don't know if they are good or broken by looking at them. They are likely ok if the adjusters turn and stop as they should.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Like sam said, if the adjusters stop and don't spin forever then they are likely good. If they don't then junk them and buy new ones. Rebuilding konis cost $115 + parts and the rear shocks can be bought new for about $200 per. If they were fronts that would be another story.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Less than $200 per. I'm @ $184.99 each right now. And *IF* Koni does their Shock Value sale again, well they'll be even less. PLEASE NOTE I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT IS HAPPENING AT THIS TIME. And there are even less costly options, the 3rd gen rears are currently $130 each.

Definitely does not pay to rebuild them.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Is turning it clockwise more or less 'rebound'?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

clockwise is less.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
clockwise is less.
What's the trick to turning the flat adjuster (without the ****)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Less than $200 per. I'm @ $184.99 each right now. And *IF* Koni does their Shock Value sale again, well they'll be even less. PLEASE NOTE I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT IS HAPPENING AT THIS TIME. And there are even less costly options, the 3rd gen rears are currently $130 each.

Definitely does not pay to rebuild them.
The 3rd gen rears work on our car? Whats the overall difference between the two?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

External adjustability with the 4th gens. If you plan to set at full soft and leave it there, the third gens are fine.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fracture
What's the trick to turning the flat adjuster (without the ****)
Vice grips?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
The 3rd gen rears work on our car? Whats the overall difference between the two?
There are some valving differences, the bottom nut isn't the same (meaning you have to get a nut for a 4th gen). The 3rd gen's cost less because they are not adjustable on the car, easily anyway. And have less adjustment range.

Other people have taken to selling them, but I was the one that found they worked (I won National Championships with them on the rear in fact) and first offered them as a slightly more cost-effective, if not as flexible, an option.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Vice grips?
I tried that but didn't want to force anything. Is the whole rod that's supposed to spin when you adjust it, or is a wrench needed to hold the top yellow nut in place and spin the small flat piece? If so, that didn't want to budge (or should I install, then adjust?)
Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fracture
I tried that but didn't want to force anything. Is the whole rod that's supposed to spin when you adjust it, or is a wrench needed to hold the top yellow nut in place and spin the small flat piece? If so, that didn't want to budge (or should I install, then adjust?)
Yes... only the small flat piece should spin.

Here a link for the adjuster if you want to purchase one http://www.koni-na.com/apparel.cfm?level=1.

And short vid to see what part is adjustable

Last edited by fixinitup; 01-29-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: add link
Old 01-29-2014, 02:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

These are some of the reasons new isn't always bad. Known good shocks, the adjustment ****, and instructions all come with them.

I can't hold them, I can't feel how the adjusters are, I don't know what to tell you unfortunately. There is a stop that is pretty solid at the soft end, less solid but there at the stiff end. Turn the adjuster, hold the shock shaft so it doesn't spin. If it won't turn either way, well you have a problem. It might not turn one way if it's already full soft or full stiff.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Doesn't Koni have lifetime warranty? Would they not warranty them if they are shot? Or do you need a receipt showing that YOU were the original purchaser?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

only to the original owner.... you aren't him.

Quick Reply: Bought some used Konis.. A few questions