Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shocks for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best shocks for daily driver?

Hey guys, I know this is a common topic and I have used the search but I'm really just looking for a clew answer. I have been looking to get a set of Bilsteins HDs because people say they are good.

I use the stock springs and stock front suspension right now, my rears are some cheap KYBs. Again it's just for a daily driver so I'm looking to get as smooth a ride as possible and any help will be great!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got koni yellow single adjustable and bmr lowering springs.
I put my koni's on the firmest setting because it isn't my DD, and I feel like it helps with keeping my long-tubes from scraping.

I will throw in my vote for koni's if you can find a good sale. I have never driven them on their softer settings, but firm is certainly...firm!
I just really like the adjustability. Want a nice balance between comfort and firmness, you can do that. If you want your car to feel firm and uncompromising, they can do that too!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be fine with the hd's. Koni also just released a budget shock too.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

u interested in a set of lowering springs I called a new set of bmr springs
Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mattygritt
I have been looking to get a set of Bilsteins HDs because people say they are good ... it's just for a daily driver so I'm looking to get as smooth a ride as possible and any help will be great!
You have it right. Bilsteins. Best riding shock out there and great for a DD. Keep your stock springs also for max comfort.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Okay thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Bilsteins do ride great for their price. Very good for a hassle free daily driver application. The new Koni Str.t is a great budget option also. But, are nearly impossible to get your hands on without a long wait. The Koni Sports are a great all around option and are adjustable to fit your driving style. We are currently running a very good sale on Konis with our lowering springs
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another vote for the Bilstein. I have them in my Camaro, and also a set in my Trailblazer, and love the ride of both vehicles.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Teching In

I am actually going through the same decision right now. Today I just noticed Koni has 25% off when logging into this forum.

I also want a very good ride with my stock suspension components. I wouldn't mind a hint of stiffness in the corners though. I'm staying with non-adjustable shocks to minimize cost and I don't plan on racing anyhow.

I had planned on getting the Bilstein HDs until I now see that Koni has the STR.T shocks which look to be direct competitors. These new ones entice me, but mostly just because of the Koni name. Bilstein actually has a lot more data on their website backing their design, so it makes me lean that way.

So if you don't mind me asking, which side would you guys lean between Koni STR.T or Bilstein HD's?
If anyone has tried the Koni STR.T, please pipe in this thread as I am eager to hear some first-hand reviews!

(I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I think we both could benefit from the feedback)
Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can put the money out,the Koni's single adjustables are the best. They are better than the bilstein shocks. Better ride and so forth. If your on a tight budget get the Bilstein's. I was not that impressed with the Bilsteins,felt like the stock shocks to me.I would get the Koni's on sale if you can.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transwiz
If you can put the money out,the Koni's single adjustables are the best. They are better than the bilstein shocks. Better ride and so forth. If your on a tight budget get the Bilstein's. I was not that impressed with the Bilsteins,felt like the stock shocks to me.I would get the Koni's on sale if you can.
Im a cheap bastard, but I saved up a bit and got the koni's. It is worth the bit of extra cash by far!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

My experience with Koni shocks in general - not just f-bodies - is that they are harsher riding than Bilsteins. My expectation thus would be that the new Koni STR.T shocks might be stiffer than Bilsteins and rougher riding. Nothing more than an educated guess at this point ... not many reports are in on these new shocks.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Bilsteins are a great all around shock. Got a compliment just the other day for how well my car rode from an older gentleman.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I really like both the Bilstein shocks and the Koni shocks for a daily driven car. I would say that if you are mainly concerned with handling and have the budget the Koni shocks are the best option. If you don't have the budget for the Koni shocks than the Bilstein shocks are definitely a good, more affordable option that don't perform quite as well in the handling department.

Now the valving for the Koni shocks is definitely stiffer than the Bilstein shocks and that is an issue for a few people out there but almost everybody that has the Koni shocks are very happy with both their ride and performance. I have had two different sets of Koni shocks on different 4th gens I have owned and I always thought that they gave it a nice, tight ride.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It really does come down to what you want. The koni's make my car feel tiny and nimble, but they are pretty harsh.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I really like both the Bilstein shocks and the Koni shocks for a daily driven car. I would say that if you are mainly concerned with handling and have the budget the Koni shocks are the best option. If you don't have the budget for the Koni shocks than the Bilstein shocks are definitely a good, more affordable option that don't perform quite as well in the handling department.

Now the valving for the Koni shocks is definitely stiffer than the Bilstein shocks and that is an issue for a few people out there but almost everybody that has the Koni shocks are very happy with both their ride and performance. I have had two different sets of Koni shocks on different 4th gens I have owned and I always thought that they gave it a nice, tight ride.
That's kind of scaring me..... was planning on going with your Koni/Lowering Spring setup. Of course I want the car to handle well, but the roads can be pretty godam rough around here.

Is there much of a difference between the firm and soft setting on these things?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
That's kind of scaring me..... was planning on going with your Koni/Lowering Spring setup. Of course I want the car to handle well, but the roads can be pretty godam rough around here.

Is there much of a difference between the firm and soft setting on these things?
As far as the Koni shocks go we have really only gotten 2-3 complaints since we started selling them so they are really only too harsh for a very few people. Personally I really liked them and would definitely recommend them.

There is a pretty good difference between the soft and firm settings on the Koni shocks but most people tend to run them on the softer side.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have Koni SA rears and Str.t fronts, the ride is noticeably stiffer for daily driving. The car feels planted and stable for sure. The only thing I don't like is the car hates being jolted. Cracks in the road really shake the car, while waves or dips feel smooth as silk.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6

The difference in ride is not that much IMO, but thats because you are adjusting rebound only. However the difference in handling, feel, stability, and turn-in changes quite a bit.
If you are worried that lowering springs are going to be too stiff for your roads try the Koni SA's on the front lower perch and do the HH mod in the rear. You will get a slight drop but a huge handling increase because of the konis, you definitely don't need lowering springs to handle well.
The following users liked this post:
s2000442 (09-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Best shocks for daily driver?