Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone running the BMR 1" drop A-arms?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone running the BMR 1" drop A-arms?

My T/A is dying to be lowered, but I'm not sure which way I want to go.

I had a 99 SS with bmr lowering springs and the ride was absolutely AWFUL. And that was before I got to VA. My T/A rides like a Cadillac compared to that car and the roads here still beat the s*** out of the car. So I'm trying to avoid losing any shock rate and ride quality.

I saw the BMR arms and thought that would be a good way to go, but I haven't seen anyone running them, and I just heard from someone else that they really make the ride worse. Can anyone else attest to this?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Depending on what shocks you use with our lowering springs will really make a big difference in the ride quality you have so if you used our springs with factory or cheap OEM replacement shocks than I wouldn't be too surprised about the bad ride quality.

You shouldn't notice much difference in ride quality when using our BMR 1" lowering a-arms (AA020) versus the factory lower a-arms. The fact that our a-arms utilize poly bushings and rod ends make them a little more prone to transfer noise into the chassis but generally it is very, very minimal. I honestly can't think of situation when someone was complaining about the ride quality with our lower a-arms no matter what version they had.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Depending on what shocks you use with our lowering springs will really make a big difference in the ride quality you have so if you used our springs with factory or cheap OEM replacement shocks than I wouldn't be too surprised about the bad ride quality.

You shouldn't notice much difference in ride quality when using our BMR 1" lowering a-arms (AA020) versus the factory lower a-arms. The fact that our a-arms utilize poly bushings and rod ends make them a little more prone to transfer noise into the chassis but generally it is very, very minimal. I honestly can't think of situation when someone was complaining about the ride quality with our lower a-arms no matter what version they had.
I actually bought the car with the mods already done to it, but right after I posted this I got to thinking that he never listed shocks being upgraded so I can assume that all that was done was the springs.

Honestly, I thought the same thing as well. I should also note this was from a guy who heard from another guy who may or may not have a clue what he's talking about. The one thing that I have heard with some consistency is that they tend to increase the bump steer and it is "highly recommended" that you get a kit from somewhere else that I can't currently remember.

The biggest thing here is that my only experience with a lowered car was the SS, so I'm really not sure what the best way to go is.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by thetmeister05
I actually bought the car with the mods already done to it, but right after I posted this I got to thinking that he never listed shocks being upgraded so I can assume that all that was done was the springs.

Honestly, I thought the same thing as well. I should also note this was from a guy who heard from another guy who may or may not have a clue what he's talking about. The one thing that I have heard with some consistency is that they tend to increase the bump steer and it is "highly recommended" that you get a kit from somewhere else that I can't currently remember.

The biggest thing here is that my only experience with a lowered car was the SS, so I'm really not sure what the best way to go is.
If you are only going to be running our BMR 1" drop lowering a-arms than you won't have to worry about bump steer at all but if you run them in conjunction with lowering springs that is a different story. Once you start lowering the car substantially is when you have to worry about bump steer but in your case it won't be an issue.

Generally for someone in your situation I would recommend our BMR lowering springs (SP001) along with a good set of shocks like Bilsteins or Konis. I know that you can only go off what you have experienced in the past and your previous experience with lowering springs wasn't a good one but I think it was more of an issue with mediocre shocks than the lowering springs themselves.

Maybe see if you can find someone local to you that has a good quality set of lowering springs with good shocks and see if they can take you for a ride so you can see what the car should really feel like.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
If you are only going to be running our BMR 1" drop lowering a-arms than you won't have to worry about bump steer at all but if you run them in conjunction with lowering springs that is a different story. Once you start lowering the car substantially is when you have to worry about bump steer but in your case it won't be an issue.

Generally for someone in your situation I would recommend our BMR lowering springs (SP001) along with a good set of shocks like Bilsteins or Konis. I know that you can only go off what you have experienced in the past and your previous experience with lowering springs wasn't a good one but I think it was more of an issue with mediocre shocks than the lowering springs themselves.

Maybe see if you can find someone local to you that has a good quality set of lowering springs with good shocks and see if they can take you for a ride so you can see what the car should really feel like.
And this is why I went with BMR....

Kyle, again Thank you for your help. It was a pleasure talking to you on Friday. Looking forward to the Springs.

OP- I have Bilstein Shocks and I'm getting ready to install the BMR Lowering Springs. Once I have them on, I can give you feedback on the ride quality, good, bad, or indifferent.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by CGSmith0524
And this is why I went with BMR....

Kyle, again Thank you for your help. It was a pleasure talking to you on Friday. Looking forward to the Springs.

OP- I have Bilstein Shocks and I'm getting ready to install the BMR Lowering Springs. Once I have them on, I can give you feedback on the ride quality, good, bad, or indifferent.
We definitely do our best to be as helpful as we can to everyone whether they are BMR customer or not. I am glad we were able to help you out and get you taken care of. You will have to let me know what you think of our BMR lowering springs once you get them installed.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to just pull the trigger on a set and see what happens. I haven't really found anyone in the area with the whole setup, mostly just springs on the decarbons.

Appreciate all the input, though! And I'd definitely like to hear how the ride is after the install!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the bmr lowering a arms on my b4c with bilsteins and stock springs. I have hotchkis springs with Kyb agx shocks and tubular non lowering a arms on my 02 z28. I feel ride comfort goes to the hotchkis springs, but the lowering a arms feel much better than other lowering setups I've rode in.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by thetmeister05
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to just pull the trigger on a set and see what happens. I haven't really found anyone in the area with the whole setup, mostly just springs on the decarbons.

Appreciate all the input, though! And I'd definitely like to hear how the ride is after the install!
Well let us know if there is anything we can help you out with and we would be more than happy to do whatever we can.

Quick Reply: Anyone running the BMR 1" drop A-arms?