Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Monroe strut nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by springer_4
Two things: First I'm going with the BMR'S and Monroe's can't afford anything else right now, 2nd if you need a rearend we have one at the shop sitting around. It was taken from a 99 TA 6Speed, so it's a 3:42. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Located in Toledo right of the turnpike
pm sent
Old 06-23-2014, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by springer_4
Two things: First I'm going with the BMR'S and Monroe's can't afford anything else right now, 2nd if you need a rearend we have one at the shop sitting around. It was taken from a 99 TA 6Speed, so it's a 3:42. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Located in Toledo right of the turnpike
Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
if you can't afford better then WAIT, monroes aren't very good at stock height to start with, if you go lowered it's gonna suck *** and once you look at the total cost for all 4 your not much cheaper then a set of Bilsteins from WS6store.
This.

Be patient, wait, and do it right, once... Rather than spend money and time installing substandard dampers now, only to have to spend more money and more time installing proper dampers a little later.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So true. Wait a couple more months to afford the better parts the first time around. Far less expensive in the long run. I've learned that the hard way... cheaping out now usually costs more later.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Had a Monroe go kaboom in a week. I put quik struts on my other cars and they where great on my firebird yeah sucked. Took them back as far as rear end ? 2 grand plus is a large large sum of cash to shell into a rear right now. Plus I don't really go hard on my car. Waited years to get one and got one
Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Ok update. Took the car to Henderson Industries in westlake,OH had the owner drive the car he said yep I think I know what that is. Drove it up the drive on lift and took a look. Pinion still leaking. Now, this rear end is supposed to be warrantied by the dealer but when they installed everything when I bought it they over torqued the pinion or something which then led to the bearings going bad. Gears are still good. But rebuild with 4.10 gears and everything 1000.00 bucks warrantied for life. Called the dealer explained this was there fault. Proceeded if they do not my attorney will be contacting them. Looks like they are going to be covering the bill
Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ratech solid pinion spacer. Be sure to get one.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

This shop specializes in only transmissions and rear ends. They only use high end components and the warranty you cant beat. He said he has seen a lot of these f bodies come in with chewed rear ends and knows exactly how to rebuild them down to the T(go figure)lol. But he suggested 4.10s in the rear because I'd be able to utilize my 6th gear as well also adds some fun to the car. His brother has a 2001 ws6 and did the same set up. But good call on the post about the bearings. They are shot. Started as a howl at 60mph then a loud howl now its even at low speeds loud as hell . If only the dealership had paid more attention to detail from the get go.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Ok looks like I'm rebuilding this now with a friend. So 4.10 gears new bearing kit. So what else is recommended ? What type of fluid and what type of other components am i going to need. I can't do 2 grand on a rear end till next summer so.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did my pinion seal myself because of all the horror stories about them being done wrong.

Basically remove the yoke with an impact and use a screw driver to evenly remove the old seal. My new seal still ended up leaking so I did the seal a second time and used two of the spring circles on the inner rubber of the yoke seal. It completely eliminated any leaks and has been problem free. (there is a small circular spring inside the rubber inner gasket, I slid one off the old pinion seal onto the new one. That is the only area mine was leaking from as evident by the mass amount of gear oil on the under side of the car. It has been 8k miles since I did mine and I have had zero leaks or issues)

When re installing the nut on the yoke I got so much gear oil and crap on there all my markings came off. Re apply the yoke nut with a ratchet not the air gun, tighten it to 35ft lbs if I remember correctly and you are good to go

The problem with shops is they use the impact gun to install the yoke nut and then the wrench. At that point they have already damaged the bearing and are just torquing down on the remnants of it.

I should have posted the how to when you said you had problems but you were already taking it back. I did mine in two hours and most of that was messing around trying to get the old one out

I would just recommend buying a used rear end. You and your buddy aren't going to get it right and it's going to cost more in the long run. 4.10's are always noisy unless done to exact specs and you would then need a re tune

Last edited by chrysler kid; 06-25-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy is a mechanic and said the same thing as you said about the impacts. His boss has a trans am and rebuilt his and is going to give us a hand on getting it right. My question is what oil does everyone use. I have to pick up all the parts tomorrow at summit. And want to make sure I get everything in one shot . And pinion spacer I saw somebody mentioned.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think a rule of thumb is impacts are good for removing stuff, but don't use it to install stuff for exactly this reason.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

So true I used my impact on my lug nuts on my old car and didn't realize I accidentally turned the throttle up and snapped a stud. Their great to have but I've learned to love my snap on digital torque wrench
Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Update time.... got the Ratech bearing kit from summit with the pinion spacer, 2 quarts of Lucas 75/90 gear oil and red line additives and a new rear cover nice and chrome and pretty. Well the magnet was caked with shavings and bearing parts. Figured mine as well do 3.73 gears too even though the 3.42 gears where fine. Well install went well car is quiet and I must say the bearings where destroyed. Going to take it easy on the car for a few days make sure all goes well
Old 06-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Figured I'd post this up here too
Old 07-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Good call on the pinion seal now I get tp spend a day doing that pinion trick because mine is leaking. So I will be try salvaging the old seals and see if I can fix this leak
Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BD3511
Good call on the pinion seal now I get tp spend a day doing that pinion trick because mine is leaking. So I will be try salvaging the old seals and see if I can fix this leak
Yeah first time I did it all the fluid came out that night on the floor. Using two of those spring things on one seal did the trick
Old 07-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

I know lowering doesnt change the pinion angle too too much but couldn't that Cause a leak ? Or could the yoke be toast ? Cause I will be swapping my panhard bar to adjustable and picked up the adjustable torque arm. And relocation brackets
Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL @ monroe shocks!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrwilliams95z28
LOL @ monroe shocks!
Live and Learn . In my case the hard way. Always had luck in the past with them but this being my first lowered car. I learned real fast.

Quick Reply: Front Monroe strut nightmare