Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Mityvac vs speed bleeders

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mityvac vs speed bleeders

Part of the work I have planed is pulling off the calipers to rebuild them. There's nothing wrong with them but in order to paint them the way I want the best idea is to pull them off. At any rate, with the rebuild I was thinking of the speed bleeders. I also was thinking of buying a mityvac tool. has anyone done breaks with both and can you share your experience.

I think a mityvac is in the future no mater what as I can use to flush PS and check the cooling system, but strictly from a brake standpoint does it have an advantage over the bleeders?

And as a side not, if I wanted to completely drain my system, that's not an issue correct? I would just purge all the fluid till there was none left in the system and then fill it up and bleed as normal? Or would running it dry damage things?

TIA
Old 08-04-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Never run the system dry unless you want to spend countless hours bleeding the system, not to mention having to bench bleed the master cylinder. Just start bleeding the system as normal, let the master run down to almost empty, then top it off and keep bleeding. You will eventually flush all the old fluid out.

Never been a fan of speed bleeders, I've had some fail over time. Prefer doing it the old fashioned way. If I was going to spend money on a system to bleed, I would choose something like the Phoenix bleeder which forces fresh fluid from the calipers, up the lines, and into the master. Best way to remove air, since it likes to rise.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Heated brake fluid is nearest the caliper. By reverse bleeding, you force the worst of the fluid up into the rest of the system. Best to bleed out at the caliper.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't use the Mityvac to pull all the fluid out of the system. Granted I guess you can but that's not what it's for. You pull a vacuum on the line and let the air bubble out then the new fluid that you have in the canister gets pulled in when you release the vacuum to fill the void. Mitvac is quite nice for doing the clutch if you don't have the speed bleeder.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Both, together, is the only way I've ever succeeded at
getting a firm pedal after bleeding brakes.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used this Mityvac vacuum bleeder for several brake flushes/brake bleeding jobs and wouldn't do it any other way. It makes it very quick and easy for one person to bleed a system. I never had any issues with air in the system even after replacing all the lines on an ABS equipped vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Mityvac vs speed bleeders-mv6830.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah that looks different from mine. I just have this one

Old 08-05-2014, 01:33 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best way I've found to do it is use a syringe to empty the master reservoir, fill with new fluid, have someone pump the pedal while you work the bleeder at each caliper. It shouldn't take very long at all.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

The Mityvac that's compressor driven looks like it'd work very well.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a pressure bleeder at the master cylinder (can fabricate one from a walmart garden sprayer), open all 4 caliper bleed screws and let fluid out (simultaneously swapping in new fluid via the pressure bleeder).

If you have a bidir scantool you can also command the ABS solenoids to open/close while bleeding is progressing.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got speed bleeders and i have used the mity vac...both work well. couldn't tell the difference in pedal feel one way or the other.

i kept my old bleeder screws in case the speed bleeders fail...as has been the case for some.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:08 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28 6spd
I've used this Mityvac vacuum bleeder for several brake flushes/brake bleeding jobs and wouldn't do it any other way. It makes it very quick and easy for one person to bleed a system. I never had any issues with air in the system even after replacing all the lines on an ABS equipped vehicle.
Ditto on this thing. I've had the hand held mityvac and the air compressor assisted. This bleeder is a must have for me.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

I put all new lines in a Silverado, bleeding is easy if you have a buddy and a GM scan tool. I gravity bleed the whole system, manually bleed the master, manually bleed each hose connection, bleed at the calipers manually, preform a service bleed with the scanner, and then bleed at the calipers again manually. Took about 1/2hr

Quick Reply: Mityvac vs speed bleeders