Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem with Brake bleed after caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problem with Brake bleed after caliper rebuild

I have a 02 trans am, hawk that I just replaced in the front, new calipers and repair kit (rubbers). I have been bleeding and bleeding using, mighty vac, by myself, and with a helper someone pumping the pedal and holding down while I crack the bleeder. Even went out and bought rear speed bleeders for the rear and didn't see where they helped at all.
Without the car running, but key on I can pump the pedal 2 times and it seems pretty good. Bled it this way also. But it doesn't seem to hold.
With the car running everything is worse. Soon as I touch the pedal, it goes to the floor and takes about 10 pumps to get a half way pedal. Had the wife pump 20 times each brake, starting with the passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, then driver front and no luck.
The mighty vac works good, but based on what I read, I was getting air from my hook up pieces. With the wife pumping I see NO air at all.
I see no leaks coming from the new bleeders when their tight. Going to double check on where the bleeders are suppose to be as far as on top or bottom. I'm also going to try to gravity bleed mine over the next few hours.
What can my problem be?

Last edited by sleepinghawk; 11-27-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Launching!

I am guessing there is still air in the lines.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks stan, yea and I did alot of reading and it seems I have the driver side caliper on the passenger, cause my bleeder is pointing down on both the front. From what I read, they point up Have to tinker with it tomorrow I guess.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Car have traction control?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Car have traction control?
Yes it does.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Yes it does.
Some people have had issues bleeding their brakes due to TCS, search the internet for gm brake bleeding with tcs...or this forum. YMMV
Old 11-27-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I have 3 good threads I found. 1st talks about that, and how to activate it or what not. 2nd was about air, and more air. 3rd was about having the calipers on the wrong side which points the bleeders down! Which like I said, that's exactly what I have done. Based on what I read, it was this one guy's problem. His problem was just like mine, when the key was on vs when the car was running or not running. Just have to wait till tomorrow to go out and do the switch a roo! Any other ideas? I can only hope this solves it and it's not what you're saying.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Thanks stan, yea and I did alot of reading and it seems I have the driver side caliper on the passenger, cause my bleeder is pointing down on both the front. From what I read, they point up Have to tinker with it tomorrow I guess.
Bet that is you're issue, with the bleeders down air will have a hard time escaping.

Let us know if the switch fixes your brakes.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well sure enough like bufmatmuslepants had said back in 2013...Make sure when you installed the calipers the bleeders are on TOP, when I bought my rear the rear calipers were on the wrong side and I bled and bled and bled till I figured it out, swapped calipers to the other sides, and BAM perfect petal.

I had put mine on the wrong side. Soon as I switched them I let them gravity bleed like another guy said and it worked great. Thanks for your in put Stan1911. Yours also 99'CajunFirehawk157. Really did'nt want that problem.

Quick Reply: Problem with Brake bleed after caliper rebuild