Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper panhard rod, whats its purpose and can it be removed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 04:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upper panhard rod, whats its purpose and can it be removed?

I was thinking or removing it for weight savings, but I didnt know if it could be. I have both lower and upper still on the car with the lower one being an adjustable chromly one with one side have a spherical rod end and the other with a poly bushing. I dont drive the car much, just a few times out of the month, usually on weekends to meet ups and such. But other than that, most of its use is at the strip. Would I be ok removing this? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
I was thinking or removing it for weight savings, but I didnt know if it could be. Would I be ok removing this? Thanks.
Uh, no.

The upper panhard rod provides structural support for the rear chassis. If you've already invested the money in an aftermarket (lower) panhard rod for improved handling, you might want to get an aftermarket upper for improved rigidity. Granatelli and DMS both make these products, and they might even be lighter than stock, I'm not sure about that.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:37 PM

Mine are lighter...5 lbs..

Originally Posted by John95Z28
Uh, no.

The upper panhard rod provides structural support for the rear chassis. If you've already invested the money in an aftermarket (lower) panhard rod for improved handling, you might want to get an aftermarket upper for improved rigidity. Granatelli and DMS both make these products, and they might even be lighter than stock, I'm not sure about that.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he meant an after market upper PHB. I would not suggest removing it, nor have I found a need to upgrade it (though I did bend one on my 3rd gen once. That is very rare however).
Old 06-07-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would look good under the car though!

You know, for when Midas puts it up on the lift for inspection ans see all the colors.

Just messin
Old 06-08-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

This has been discussed before. IMO removing the upper PHR is a BAD idea. As stated above it is a triangulating structural member for the PHR mount. Removing it could seriously jeopardize the strength of your PHR attachment on the body side.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BMR has this one :

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-body...tm#panhardrods

It is designed to relocate the panhard rod for true duals, but it upgrades the upper panhard rod as well.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That BMR piece looks nice, but I dont know if its worth $200! There was no option where you could choose between mild steel and chromoly, so I wonder if its any lighter than the stock piece. The only reason for me bringing this whole issue up, was for weight savings. So if its not any lighter than the stock piece, then I dont plan on spending $200 here. But none the less, its nice looking.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For much less than $200 you could get one of those dry cell batteries and really save some weight.

Quick Reply: Upper panhard rod, whats its purpose and can it be removed?