Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front lower control arm removal and install

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front lower control arm removal and install

I have been searching for some info on removing and re installing the stock
front lower control arms on a 2000 pontiac t/a. I have not found any step by step instructions.
If you guys know of one can you send me a link or some step by step instructions I would appreciate it.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's not to bad, pretty straight forward. I did mine to install my tubular lowers. One pain i ran into was the rear bolt got cocked in the stock bushing and I couldn't get it out without air tools. I had no air tools, so I had to get it towed to a garage that buttoned up the drivers side for me. Passenger side was a breeze and I had it done in about 1.5 hrs.

Just take your time and you'll figure it out I'll bet.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The part that looks hard is the rear of the lower control arm.How do you get the rear bolt out? I still would like some step by step info.Anyone?

Last edited by transwiz; 12-28-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The rear bolt goes up into the under carriage. If you're lucky it'll pop right out. I had to cut it out since the rust seized it to the bushing.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It would be easer for me since I have never done it if Somebody could walk me thru this step by step.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you removing just the front lower control arm, or the whole front suspension? If just the lower control arm, you could probably get away with undoing the sway bar endlink, then the two shock bolts, ball joint, and two bushing bolts for the control arm (one is horizontal, the other vertical.) You may run in with a few issues along the way though, usually it's not just as simple as a few bolts and it's off. Especially that piece of suspension, that houses the most roadblocks for these cars.

I can give more details if needed. I just did this a few months ago
Old 01-10-2016, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't know if you know this but the 2 bushing bolts are made very nicely from GM. Google part number 10164163 and you should find a bolt with a tab on it that keeps it from spinning when you undo the nut from the bottom. I may be reiterating info that you already know though
Old 03-07-2016, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I should order these bolts as well. I still am only very lightly into tearing down my suspension. I'm waiting to get some tools in. Does anybody know the part number of the nut that goes to the bolt? Or will anyone from the hardware store work?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

According to GM Parts Direct website, the two bolts are different part numbers:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat

Front LCA bolt 10229835
Rear LCA bolt 10164163

But my question still remains about the nut since the illustrated parts breakdown does not show the nuts. Will any nut that can screw on the bolt suffice? I haven't gotten to the point where I am dropping the LCA yet (still wrestling with the ball joints). So I do not know if I can reuse the nuts after cleaning them up or not.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should be able to reuse the bolts, the only way you can't reuse them is if they are frozen to the bushing itself and that usually requires cutting and other shenanigans. If you need them (the bolts on the vertical bushing) I have 2 of them you can have that I got from GMPartsDirect that I never used. Doesn't come with the nut however, which you should be able to use any parts store nut

Quick Reply: front lower control arm removal and install