Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

F body ABS delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F body ABS delete

Who's done an ABS delete on an f body? Considering it because its probably going to cost more to fix whatever is wrong with my abs than to just delete the whole system. Does it stop any better? Driven in the rain? Just want some feedback. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird2000
Who's done an ABS delete on an f body? Considering it because its probably going to cost more to fix whatever is wrong with my abs than to just delete the whole system. Does it stop any better? Driven in the rain? Just want some feedback. Thanks.
A lot of people do it, mostly drag racers who are deleting it for weight. And/or because it's more money to keep with a aftermarket rear end.

It'll stop the same, the rear wheels will just lock up like those old school cars and you'll slide your way to a stop.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine 2yrs ago... hands down the best mod I've done to date. I went the extra mile n cut out EVERY single wire related. Keeping car 4 ever, I hate abs to begin with. Contact Steve & SJM Manufacturing for the correct set up.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by high n dry
I did mine 2yrs ago... hands down the best mod I've done to date. I went the extra mile n cut out EVERY single wire related. Keeping car 4 ever, I hate abs to begin with. Contact Steve & SJM Manufacturing for the correct set up.
Can you elaborate as to why it was the best mod you've done?

Just seems like a really odd thing to say.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain Slow
Can you elaborate as to why it was the best mod you've done?

Just seems like a really odd thing to say.
If u'd read what I posted, u would understand what I'm saying!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

If u'd read what I posted, u would understand what I'm saying!
I read it too, why do you hate abs?

Your post doesn't say much other than you like it, I can see loosing some weight but other than that idk.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Banned

Looks better, brakes better,less weight... c'mon guys use ur head here. Is that dumbed down enough????
Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Banned

To ad: if u run abs with race rims, it sends abs to fault mode, and ur brakes will not brake proper do to the different tire diameter
Old 03-02-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Looks better, brakes better,less weight... c'mon guys use ur head here. Is that dumbed down enough????
It actually brakes worse, if you are street driving you have more of a chance at wrecking.

Track only car then yeah I can see deleting it, especially since it's more money to keep it when going to an aftermarket rear end.

It only weighs 12 lbs the module itself, hardly worth the time and effort as a weight reduction mod.

And as far as the abs light/fault code coming on with a bigger than stock wheel, you should be flashing in the "new" tire height into the tune anyway to correct the speedometer which will also fix any "abs" issue you might have.

There, is that dumbed down enough for you
Old 03-02-2016, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Ive been pleased so far. I did it for a million reasons, space under the hood, ease of bleeding the brakes, weight reduction, appearance, one less thing to repair, can run different height tires etc. Can I give you some advice? Please go panic stop your car without abs, one to make sure its adjusted right and two youll know what to expect when that day comes. You can be smart without abs, drive more carefully in the rain especially when your tires are more likely to lock up, dont follow as close.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Burken01
It actually brakes worse, if you are street driving you have more of a chance at wrecking.

Track only car then yeah I can see deleting it, especially since it's more money to keep it when going to an aftermarket rear end.

It only weighs 12 lbs the module itself, hardly worth the time and effort as a weight reduction mod.

And as far as the abs light/fault code coming on with a bigger than stock wheel, you should be flashing in the "new" tire height into the tune anyway to correct the speedometer which will also fix any "abs" issue you might have.

There, is that dumbed down enough for you
Sorry bud but youre incorrect on several accounts here. OP please disregard the above post.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Ive been pleased so far. I did it for a million reasons, space under the hood, ease of bleeding the brakes, weight reduction, appearance, one less thing to repair, can run different height tires etc. Can I give you some advice? Please go panic stop your car without abs, one to make sure its adjusted right and two youll know what to expect when that day comes. You can be smart without abs, drive more carefully in the rain especially when your tires are more likely to lock up, dont follow as close.
But that's your opinion. Some people like to keep their car working properly.

I have no need to slam on my brakes and learn to slide properly, I have abs.

So you run diffrent tire heights and don't adjust it in the PCM? Why? What's the point

Of course you can be smart without abs, you can also learn to drive slicks in the rain and drive blindfolded with one hand if you wanted to learn.

My points were all valid and my opinion backed by facts.

You are just a hothead that train wrecks threads and always have 2 cents to throw in to get your post count up

Half the stuff you post is to belittle people, it's nonsense.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry bud but youre incorrect on several accounts here. OP please disregard the above post.
You can tell the OP all day long he can learn to be safe driving in the rain without abs. I mean he did ask in the 1st posts.

Did you not read it?
Old 03-02-2016, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

But that's your opinion. Some people like to keep their car working properly.

I have no need to slam on my brakes and learn to slide properly, I have abs.

So you run diffrent tire heights and don't adjust it in the PCM? Why? What's the point

Of course you can be smart without abs, you can also learn to drive slicks in the rain and drive blindfolded with one hand if you wanted to learn.

My points were all valid and my opinion backed by facts.

You are just a hothead that train wrecks threads and always have 2 cents to throw in to get your post count up

Half the stuff you post is to belittle people, it's nonsense.

Oh my fanclub, we must have done this before. Well where do we begin....how about this: ya cant tune out abs genius. Why do you keep blabbering that f-ing non-sense. I tune my own car, yes I adjust for tire size, (which has nothing to do with abs) but then not always, why? Because I run two different size rear tires. Actually I have 10 thats ten wheels for my car if youd like to know. I change em whenever I want and I dont need no stinkin abs making trouble for me. Now, slicks in the rain? No not unless you drive slow enough that it can evacuate water which would like 10 mph. That statement is silly, not "backed by facts" and shows youre reaching or trying to be mr smarty pants. All counter productive. "Learn to slide properly" what does that even mean sir? Do YOU read what you type. When I said learn your car brake aggressively it means try breaking to see if your rears lock up first, what it feels like right before they lock, how to adjust pedal pressure to get them to unlock and start rebraking. It's called actually learning how to drive! I can see this is going over your head, and youll come back and accuse me of being an insensitive ***** and how I derailed the poor guys thread. So for that I apologize to you, and for you not getting it.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Oh my fanclub, we must have done this before. Well where do we begin....how about this: ya cant tune out abs genius. Why do you keep blabbering that f-ing non-sense. I tune my own car, yes I adjust for tire size, (which has nothing to do with abs) but then not always, why? Because I run two different size rear tires. Actually I have 10 thats ten wheels for my car if youd like to know. I change em whenever I want and I dont need no stinkin abs making trouble for me. Now, slicks in the rain? No not unless you drive slow enough that it can evacuate water which would like 10 mph. That statement is silly, not "backed by facts" and shows youre reaching or trying to be mr smarty pants. All counter productive. "Learn to slide properly" what does that even mean sir? Do YOU read what you type. When I said learn your car brake aggressively it means try breaking to see if your rears lock up first, what it feels like right before they lock, how to adjust pedal pressure to get them to unlock and start rebraking. It's called actually learning how to drive! I can see this is going over your head, and youll come back and accuse me of being an insensitive ***** and how I derailed the poor guys thread. So for that I apologize to you, and for you not getting it.
Nobody is speaking about tuning abs out, where did you get that from?

The topic brought up by "high n dry" was that race rim/diffrent tires mess with the abs. Which implies you have abs to begin with or else this piece of info wouldn't apply to you.

But can be corrected in the pcm

Panic stopping, aggressive stopping, high chance of lockup in the rain. Yeah these are all situations of sliding and you can't fix that with adjusting pressures, that only fixes the mechanical side of it. There's still a thing called "panicking" and a kid jumping out in front of you which are sometimes out of our hands and the limits of our ability.

It sounds like it's his daily driver so be careful what you tell the guy

I won't insult you, you'll just drag me down to your level and beat me with experience!

Later
Old 03-02-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well this is very obviously what im referring to. PCM and abs shouldnt be in the same sentence, they have nothing to do with each other. You cannot tune the abs module either.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP is like....WTF....these guys are nutz, I'm out
Old 03-02-2016, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

I just did the SJM ABS Delete W/Line lock this past weekend. One it looks a hell of a lot better if the Engine is out and you can run the brakelines downwards. Maybe I'm must use to ABS, not sure I'm liking it for the past few days. If I decide to put the ABS back on I'll sell you my whole SJM setup Cheap.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ls1tech rocks!!!

OP is this your daily driver? I'm thinking about doing this too but mine isn't a DD. It never sees rain. That's the only thing I would be concerned with is rain unless its really not that bad to adjust. Its when you would have to slam on the brakes in the rain I would question.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Well this is very obviously what im referring to. PCM and abs shouldnt be in the same sentence, they have nothing to do with each other. You cannot tune the abs module either.
Ok, I see what you are talking about.

I meant that running different tire sizes don't necessarily mean you lose abs, I run bigger rears vs my fronts and still have abs.

I guess the real answer can get technical on how big you choose to go in the rear vs the front.

But you don't have to get chaotic, I mean we're having a conversation in here.

Try treating people with respect

Quick Reply: F body ABS delete