Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering feels loose or disconnected?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default steering feels loose or disconnected?

99 camaro. 50k miles. Feels like it's disconnected. Theres some wiggle in the steering wheel while driving if I want. Just feels sloppy I suppose. Everything still works and it turns it's just like driving an old car (I know it is)
Old 08-14-2016, 04:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

Do you have a question?
Old 08-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea he's probably asking what could cause this...
Old 08-14-2016, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Budget Deficit
Yea he's probably asking what could cause this...
That would be correct! Something is worn or loose I am leaning towards worn. Just don't know what?
Old 08-15-2016, 06:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Moving to Suspension and Brakes.

The list I'd start off with is:
- Bad ball joints/tie rod ends
- Loose coupling at the rack
- Loose/bad universal joints along the steering shaft in the engine bay

The later two are the bigger pains and we have a number of threads on them in the steering and suspension section.

Example: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-steering.html
Old 08-15-2016, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Also bushings
Old 08-15-2016, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
99 camaro. 50k miles. Feels like it's disconnected. Theres some wiggle in the steering wheel while driving if I want. Just feels sloppy I suppose. Everything still works and it turns it's just like driving an old car (I know it is)
Hard to imagine that there's much worn out at that low a mileage. I had 150k on the clock before I started replacing parts. Doesn't mean that you don't have some worn tie rod ends. Tires can make it feel that way. Only way to know is to start checking components, from the steering intermediate shaft, rack, tie tod ends, ball joints.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check the coupler that goes from the steering column to the rack, I've seen the bolt be loose on a buddies car which caused this issue.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It also could be from driving newer cars and then going back to something 15 years old. when I got my vert 6 years ago I swore there was something wrong, took it to my front end guy and he said everything was in perfect shape (52k miles). Now 6 years later, I had the front realigned after putting on lowering springs and the front end still got a good bill of health (65k).
Old 08-16-2016, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ driving between a Ford Flex and then into a sports car, the sports car you about have to use two hands to crank the steering wheel. It feels as if there are bricks attached to the steering wheel because it feels so heavy, but it sure feels tight and connected to the road.

On a side note, my ball joints were fine at 175k, the only thing really worn at that mileage for me were the outer tie rods and the vertical bushing for the front lower control arms. Everything else was in good enough shape that it didn't need to be replaced. Also a decent alignment might help, that is if your current alignment is out of whack then it might help to get an alignment
Old 08-16-2016, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Those are some great points about it being a matter of perception. It happened to me a few weeks ago. I had to drive a Buick Verano with 12k on the clock about 30 miles. I had been wondering the same thing about my TA ... until I got back in her. Even with 300k on the clock, and knowing that all the parts are fine, I was quite happy and accepting that it is what it is ... and it's pretty damn good!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

find a GOOD front end guy. I use some old school mechanics at a frame shop. Have him check alignment and health of front end.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Save the manuals!

I remember when I bought this car - many of my friends were purchasing German cars because they drove fundamentally differently. Our cars felt like we were balancing them on the edge of a knife and... they still do. The German cars were much more planted and robotic.

Fast forward to today, in the age of drones and auto-piloted cars -> The US manufacturers have adopted German techniques, use German models as benchmarks for the segments, and even fly their cars to Germany to test on the Autobahn. The US cars now feel the same.

So, even with a perfectly tuned or stock system, I would expect that we'd still feel major differences comparing our cars to later models.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Part of it is likely perception since my other two cars are a 2013 and a 2014 but I really don't remember it feeling this way. I've always felt connected to this car like it was part of me but I'm not feeling it right now. I'll start digging I suppose. I know the tires are getting up there in age but the rack has maybe 20k miles on it. I have also only put around 1k miles on this car in the last 4 -5yrs (life got in the way) I have all new poly bushings for the front end I have yet to install so that may help as well. Just wasn't sure if there was a known issue with these like the LT1 cars had that rubber bushing thing. But now that I want to start driving it once a week I want to make sure it's on point.

Quick Reply: steering feels loose or disconnected?