Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Some cool things from UMI this weekend and a big win!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Some cool things from UMI this weekend and a big win!

Hello All,

I have some cool information to share with everyone regarding product development and our partnership with Sam Strano and Strano Performance parts.

As you will see below our win this weekend at the Northeast Muscle Car Challenge held at Pitt Race was in our 5th gen. However this means movement in the right direction for UMI and Strano as you will learn below. I also know that this suspension section is more oriented towards the 4th gen but I feel this fits in best here with this group. Please read on.

This weekend marked a great victory with UMI and Strano. Sam Strano was put into the UMI 5th gen to compete in a 3 day event, one day of road course and two days of autocross using three different autocross courses. The "Grand Champion" is the best times of the road race and three autocross tracks added together. There is also two categories, late model and early model. I won't go into all the details to keep this from getting to long but the results are:

2nd place Grand Champion in late model (Congrats to Bryan Johnson for the win, what a battle!)

1st place late model autocross.

Sam was able to have the fastest autocross time on two out of the three courses out of all the cars, late and early. The first course Sam was only behind by one tenth.

This marks a great victory for UMI and Strano. Our 2010 Camaro is virtually stock, stock LS3 with only headers as a power adder. 10" wheels on 275 RE71R's. The car does have a secret suspension set up that was put together by Ramey at UMI and Sam Strano.

What does this mean for the 4th gen world? Well first UMI is learning all the time and applying our knowledge to all our vehicles. Second Sam Strano is the man and one heck of a driver, his advice is taking us to the top and moving us in the right direction which we are applying to the 93-02. Third, the shock valving on the 5th is gen is extremely similar to the 4th gen using the same rear shocks as the 4th gen. This means the valving we have developed with Sam is working out very nicely. Fifth, Sam took our 4th gen for two laps around the autocross track and in just two laps was able to catch his fast time in the 5th gen. I am almost convinced that if Sam was driving the UMI 4th gen he could have won even bigger....

I would like to say a big thanks to Sam Strano for taking time out of his schedule and his business to work with us. Please remember Sam is an authorized dealer from UMI and his knowledge is second to none. Call him for your handling needs, you won't be sorry.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no way to "like" a post on here, so take some forum smileys.

I've used both Sam (Stranoparts) and UMI extensively in my AutoX 4th-gen and have had great results with both!

(Some day you'll get me on a set of those awesome coilovers, too!)(Although for the love of god make sure the install and adjustment instructions are in depth and detailed. Don't take a page out of Koni's book!)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I want to thank Ryan and the gang @ UMI for having the faith in me to do this sort of stuff. I agree about the 4th gen, and I am on the lookout for one myself, again. But this time I think a Pontiac....

I also appreciate Ryan mentioning the part about being a dealer for them. It's really how I make my living. There is no added pricing from me on UMI parts what so ever, and everyone benefits, Ryan sells parts, I sell some parts, and the customer gets my advice (which I can't give away to non-customers).

Here's the best part. This entire thing is it's infancy and we are already shocking people, and people with a LOT more grunt too. At one point I was behind the overall winner on track, I got on the gas first, and floored too and he just pulled away. So when we ended up 3.5 back the road course I wasn't shocked. I knew I'd make some up autocrossing as that is what I specialize in and the power isn't a problem there, at least to same extent.

Here's the one thing to remember: Not everyone who sells parts is actually using them, or proving them out to be fast in a competitive environment. I saw some new "road race" stuff today from one company and they do nothing like this. In short, talk is cheap.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This whole thing is snowballing. Our engineering team is pumped. The whole company is buzzing.

This road race stuff is wicked hard on parts, both prototype as well as tried-and-true. All of this makes our parts better for the customer.

I'm proud of the UMI team and excited to have Sam on board as our friend/teammate/consultant.

ramey
Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I've said it on facebook and even here, I'm happy that yall are working together. This is injecting some excitement in the 4th gen auto-x/road race crowd and it's nice to see support from a company like this.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Excited for the outcome of parts we might see.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a winning combo.

I just started on using UMI products, but can see more in my future
Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

No better advertising than winning races using parts you manufactured. Great job!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now if only ya'll made 2nd gen parts. I had a full UMI/strano set up on my 4th gen but have to look to competitors for my 2nd gen project
Old 08-25-2016, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M4N14C
No better advertising than winning races using parts you manufactured. Great job!
Agreed
Old 08-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UMI---

Tried to PM you for a minor issue and your box is full so I can not send.

Will try email, but just an FYI
Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad to hear you guys kicked butt! I think Sam could get FTD at AX in a Model T Ford some days ;-) Hope to see you in a nice Firebird/TA soon.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Now if only ya'll made 2nd gen parts. I had a full UMI/strano set up on my 4th gen but have to look to competitors for my 2nd gen project
While you don't see them on my website, I do have 2nd gen stuff. PLEASE CALL ME. I just don't have time to focus on it so it kind of gets lost in the shuffle. When UMI has stuff I'll carry it. But I have other things like Detroit Speed, Ridetech, Hotchkis, and more.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 413 Likes on 331 Posts

Nice job!
Old 08-26-2016, 07:10 AM
FormerVendor

Currently in the design stages as we speak....Shouldn't be long until we release a full line for 2nd Gen.

Craig
Old 08-26-2016, 07:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hardtrailz
UMI---

Tried to PM you for a minor issue and your box is full so I can not send.

Will try email, but just an FYI
Not sure why you couldn't, inbox has plenty of room.

Did you get in touch with anybody here at the shop?

Craig
Old 08-26-2016, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

It might have been my box, it was full for a few days. Try UMI Sales or e-mail craig@umiperformance.com.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

As Craig mentioned we have some cool stuff for the 2nd gens coming out very soon. We have some prototype stuff on our car now. stay tuned.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to know. Will hold off on the front suspension for the time being then.

Quick Reply: Some cool things from UMI this weekend and a big win!