Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just ordered lowering springs.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004 | 07:08 PM
STF Veteran

Default Just ordered lowering springs.....

I just got the approval from my financial advisor (wife) to buy a set of springs to lower my car. I have heard that I will need to get some lower control arm relocation brackets or I will spin like hell at the track.
Can someone give me the details on the whole truth? Help me understand why I do or don't need them.
Old 06-21-2004 | 06:11 AM
STF Veteran

One other question. Are the weld in brackets better than the bolt on brackets? I would like to buy the bolt on in case I need to sell my car one day.
Old 06-21-2004 | 09:25 AM
STF Veteran

Yet another question. Will I need to replace my struts when I change my springs?
Old 06-21-2004 | 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll chime in, I didnt get the brackets or lower control arms no problems with traction yet. Some people also recommend getting an adj pan hard bar to recenter your rear wheels, no problems with mine either so I didnt get it yet. I did get a 21mm rear sway. As far as shocks I would definitly get the front ones at least, that way you wont have to mess with that again. So if wanna wait on a few things or get them slowly it can be done.
Old 06-21-2004 | 11:58 AM
STF Veteran

What kind of shocks should I get? I can't pay $400 for 2 shocks right now. Would a set of new stock SS shocks be ok?
Old 06-21-2004 | 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
What kind of shocks should I get? I can't pay $400 for 2 shocks right now. Would a set of new stock SS shocks be ok?
Save teh money on the stock shocks towards a set of decent shocks later on. Also, many times the nut on top of the front shocks is rusted so badly that you'll destroy the shock getting it apart. I'd order the springs and save pennies for shocks and change them together (do the rears too). But that is just a suggestion.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2004 | 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Default Shocks-cheap but excellent.

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Do not get the french stock shocks and struts. They are too soft. The KYB AGX is only about 79 for the back and 85 for the front. I had them put on last year and they are awesome. Be advised that if you install lowering springs and KYBs or Konis(which I wanted but couldn't aford it at the time), your ride will be stiff. Really stiff. I have the KYBs agxs and Eibach Sportlines and my 2000 SS is very low. Good luck. Kevin from Las Vegas.
Old 06-22-2004 | 02:17 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by ChoiceCam00
Do not get the french stock shocks and struts. They are too soft. The KYB AGX is only about 79 for the back and 85 for the front. I had them put on last year and they are awesome. Be advised that if you install lowering springs and KYBs or Konis(which I wanted but couldn't aford it at the time), your ride will be stiff. Really stiff. I have the KYBs agxs and Eibach Sportlines and my 2000 SS is very low. Good luck. Kevin from Las Vegas.
What about BMR springs and QA1 (HAL) front shocks? Will the ride be overly firm?
Old 06-22-2004 | 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had BMR springs first, and it did ride pretty firm. If you are on a good highway, they are OK but when you start getting into some rough spots in the road, they are rough. I ended up sending my BMR's back and getting a refund because my car sat very uneven. It was as bad as 3/4 of an inch from side to side. I ended up going with DMS and they ride nearly like stock. When the BMR's were on, you could push down on the front end and hardly be able to bounce the car, my DMS springs are different. Just my 2 cents!

Quick Reply: Just ordered lowering springs.....