LS1Tech Editor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 7 Mods to Make the 4th Generation Camaro/Firebird Handle Better

7 Mods to Make the 4th Generation Camaro/Firebird Handle Better
by Bassem Girgis
Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn't expect much from the article so the bar was low. Even still please explain how you justify bump stops being on that list.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Generic click bait
Old 03-02-2017, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
I didn't expect much from the article so the bar was low. Even still please explain how you justify bump stops being on that list.
I'm not sure they deserve to be on the list, but they are important. If you're running your car hard enough to compress the back axle into the bump stop a good rubber one will make a big difference when compared to poly or no bump stop. Strano and UMI spent a good bit of time on that.

Not sure I agree with motor mounts though...
Old 03-02-2017, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Run the car stiff enough and it's never a problem. As long as the bump stop is still there for the one time you hit a massive bump at speed who cares?

I don't have any bump stops in the front and stock in the rear. Have not hit them at all
Old 03-02-2017, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Not a great article. It didn't say the items were in order of importance, but shocks should be #1. Tires could be item #2 in order of importance. A panhard bar is an OK improvement, but the article should talk about Watts links, as an actual better handling item. The list included bump stops, dumb IMO, but could have talked about adjustable torque arm, if you are going to lower the car. And motor mounts, are also a bottom of the list kind of item. To be complete, the article could have said STB's are not worth it, or are highly debated, so don't spend money on them first. Overall it was just too simplistic. Sounds like it was written by an f-bod newb. There's far too much good info out here already that could be pointed to.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Run the car stiff enough and it's never a problem. As long as the bump stop is still there for the one time you hit a massive bump at speed who cares?

I don't have any bump stops in the front and stock in the rear. Have not hit them at all
I run 600lb springs front and 200lb in the back, still hit my bump stops sometimes. You should probably call Porsche and let them know they set up the GT3 wrong.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I edited that and contributed to it. Sorry It was not up to your standards, but it was meant to be a basic guide to a beginner who just picked up a tired F-body and wants to improve it. Sure, motor mounts are not going to make a huge difference in the handling, but if you are starting with a tired 20 year old car with lots of miles on it the originals probably need changing, and they are going to help you put the power down. Yes, of course, a watts linkage is better than a panhard bar at laterally locating the rear of the car, but my point was that the stock bar is 1) flexible and 2) non-adjustable, and both of those things are a problem if you lower the car, start cornering hard, and want to put the power down. I'm sorry I did not dedicate a slide to telling people not to bother with strut tower braces, but then I didn't dedicate a slide to telling them not to bother with subframe connectors, or filling their tires with nitrogen either. As far as favoring one brand/vendor over any other, I must admit I was lazy. Here in the forums you guys are always swearing by the Strano springs with Koni shock combo, and I just picked a bunch of other links from them as well. As far as tires being #2 on the list, "...but just tires alone will amplify just how worn out everything else is."

As far as bump stops go, you all seem to be hashing that out all by yourselves.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I think bumpstops are critically important and I won't run without them.

And even with high rate rear springs like say 275, my car, when it had them showed definite signs of using them. And I prefer to think of them as bump rubbers as opposed to bumpstops. I hate hard, unforgiving, non progressive stops, which is why I don't tend to use them.

As for the rest, it was a pretty basic article but touched the high points. And fwiw, I had nothing to do with any of it other than I've been around here a long time, making a lot of happy setups and that was translated in that article. I don't think anything in there was wrong.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think bumpstops are critically important and I won't run without them.

And even with high rate rear springs like say 275, my car, when it had them showed definite signs of using them. And I prefer to think of them as bump rubbers as opposed to bumpstops. I hate hard, unforgiving, non progressive stops, which is why I don't tend to use them.

As for the rest, it was a pretty basic article but touched the high points. And fwiw, I had nothing to do with any of it other than I've been around here a long time, making a lot of happy setups and that was translated in that article. I don't think anything in there was wrong.
I feel like half of my posts on this forum should include the trollface

And your rear spring rate is exactly half of mine
Old 03-02-2017, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I run 600lb springs front and 200lb in the back, still hit my bump stops sometimes. You should probably call Porsche and let them know they set up the GT3 wrong.
Try upping them to 1200/550. You won't hit them any more

Last edited by landstuhltaylor; 03-02-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On a side note, thanks for writing an article and putting yourself out there. This is a tough crowd and I admire anyone willing to give it a shot.

ramey

Originally Posted by parkwood60
Hey Guys,

I edited that and contributed to it. Sorry It was not up to your standards, but it was meant to be a basic guide to a beginner who just picked up a tired F-body and wants to improve it. Sure, motor mounts are not going to make a huge difference in the handling, but if you are starting with a tired 20 year old car with lots of miles on it the originals probably need changing, and they are going to help you put the power down. Yes, of course, a watts linkage is better than a panhard bar at laterally locating the rear of the car, but my point was that the stock bar is 1) flexible and 2) non-adjustable, and both of those things are a problem if you lower the car, start cornering hard, and want to put the power down. I'm sorry I did not dedicate a slide to telling people not to bother with strut tower braces, but then I didn't dedicate a slide to telling them not to bother with subframe connectors, or filling their tires with nitrogen either. As far as favoring one brand/vendor over any other, I must admit I was lazy. Here in the forums you guys are always swearing by the Strano springs with Koni shock combo, and I just picked a bunch of other links from them as well. As far as tires being #2 on the list, "...but just tires alone will amplify just how worn out everything else is."

As far as bump stops go, you all seem to be hashing that out all by yourselves.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I feel like half of my posts on this forum should include the trollface

And your rear spring rate is exactly half of mine
They probably should.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well there are total of 7 types.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool. Thanks for including UMI!

Quick Reply: 7 Mods to Make the 4th Generation Camaro/Firebird Handle Better