Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing Adjustable PHB Question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Adjustable PHB Question.

So I bought this pan hard bar.

https://www.foundersperformance.com/...rod-rod-style/

Its installed however I can't seem to tighten the Jam nut on the passenger side here's a couple pics:

The other side tightened up just fine.

Any ideas on how to get this tightened?

TIA
Old 07-28-2017, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a little confused, how is it not tightening? Does it just slip when you try putting effort into turning it once it gets against the bar?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Theres no room in the bracket to get a wrench on it. All I have that big is an adjustable wrench. Might just need to go buy an open end wrench that will fit it.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Can basically do it backwards to what you are doing now? Remove the bar, tighten that hard to reach side and then install and tighten the other side while on the car?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Dang not a lot of room to work with, would think an open end wrench is needed.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Can basically do it backwards to what you are doing now? Remove the bar, tighten that hard to reach side and then install and tighten the other side while on the car?
I tried that. I left the drivers side on dropped the passenger side tightened the jam nut, but then I couldn't get the holes to line up, to get the bar reinstalled.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Dang not a lot of room to work with, would think an open end wrench is needed.
There's very little room in there, I'm hoping the open end fits.

It was one of those things, car jacked up part way out of the garage, so with no one home, and no helper. No way to quickly run out and get one, to give it a try. So had to put it away for the day, and will try to tighten it up tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Is your bar double adjustable or single adjustable?

If double adjustable adjust the driver side last. Tighten the nut on the passenger side first, install the bolt, next adjust and install the driver side and lock it down.

https://www.foundersperformance.com/...rod-rod-style/

If single adjustable flip the bar from left to right and adjust from the driver side. I am not aware that there is a rule that states that the adjustment side has to be on the passenger side. Because when you adjust you are essentially moving the rear from right to left or left to right so it doesn't matter what side you adjust from because you are either pushing or pulling by screwing the rod end in or out.

I didn't have to flip my single adjustable bar because I had a UMI panhard bar kit which leaves enough room to get a wrench on the nut.

I have since removed the single adjustable and installed a Founders double adjustable bar.

OR:

The upper panhard brace is a static (fixed) length from hole to hole.

I would remove the upper panhard brace and lift it upward dependent upon how much room you have to the exhaust pipe, adjust the length of the panhard bar so even left to right. Then reinstall the upper panhard brace.

It's a pain, if it (upper panhard brace) hasn't previously been removed - bolts and screws will be rusting. PB Blaster is your friend - apply wait - then remove.

The simple solution is to flip the bar and adjust from the driver's side if you have a single adjustable bar.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
I tried that. I left the drivers side on dropped the passenger side tightened the jam nut, but then I couldn't get the holes to line up, to get the bar reinstalled.

There's very little room in there, I'm hoping the open end fits.

It was one of those things, car jacked up part way out of the garage, so with no one home, and no helper. No way to quickly run out and get one, to give it a try. So had to put it away for the day, and will try to tighten it up tomorrow.
If I recall I started my adjustment by comparing the single adjustable bar to my stock bar - line the holes up. Next install the bar.

However it's possible the rear end shifted left to right or right to left so now the bar holes don't match up. I recall I used a very large screwdriver to help align the driver side hole -essentially moving the rear end left to right.

I assume the car frame is on jack stands leaving the rear end hanging freely. If not and the car is jacked up using the pumpkin of the rearend - then the rear end won't move as easily but you can still swing the rear end back and forth - but not as safe - dangerous in fact.

Put the car on jack stands under the frame. Then use the jack gently under the rear end to shift the rear end left or right to match up the holes.

The function of an after market panhard bar is for strength but also to align the rear end.

So if the frame stock position is tweaked a little bit (some rearends are way off left to right or right to left) then with a single adjustable bar this is one method I used to tweak just a little bit right or left the using the jack. And you will have to do this perhaps more that one time to align the rear end because with each adjustment, you should load the rear end meaning you have to take it off of the jack stands and set it one the ground to measure alignment.

But hard to do when alone (I'm 71), so it's another reason why I switched from a single adjustable bar to a double adjustable on the car bar. With a double adjustable on the car bar you line up the holes, insert the bolts thru the rod ends and then screw (turn) the center piece (the bar) to move the rear end left or right to align it.

I've switched rear ends three times. It's get's easier each time you do it. But always use jack stands just in case the car shifts or the jack moves. Be safe.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 07-30-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Put a wrench on the jam nut to hold it and turn the hex on the bar to tighten them together. If you can't get a wrench on the hex of the bar, flip it around and install it the other way so you can get better access to it. How far is your car lowered? That looks unusually close to the upper support

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Put a wrench on the jam nut to hold it and turn the hex on the bar to tighten them together. If you can't get a wrench on the hex of the bar, flip it around and install it the other way so you can get better access to it. How far is your car lowered? That looks unusually close to the upper support

Agree.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Put a wrench on the jam nut to hold it and turn the hex on the bar to tighten them together. If you can't get a wrench on the hex of the bar, flip it around and install it the other way so you can get better access to it. How far is your car lowered? That looks unusually close to the upper support.
I agree!!

HOWEVER, to the OP, get the bar adjusted to the length you need it to be, then jack the car up, under the side of the car "jacking point", so the axle drops down enough that the panhard bar drops enough, so you can get the wrench on the hex nut.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't had a chance to get back to it. Its not lowered, I don't believe. I didnt lower it. Previous owner may have? It was jacked up by the axle and supported on jack stand out by the hubs. When those pics were taken.

Quick Reply: Installing Adjustable PHB Question.