Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suggestions on rear street srip shock

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Suggestions on rear street srip shock

Hey guys I have a 98 ss, all bolt ons an yank 4000 converter can you give me some good suggestions on budget shocks for the rear.. Its a weekend car an I'd like to do strip few times a year
Old 08-03-2017, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Vikings are probably one of the best bang for the bucks right now
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Okay great are they adjustable
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

And who do recommend buying them from
Old 08-03-2017, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

What are your thoughts on kyb adjustable gas shock ? I'm only asking because I can get them for 80 a piece at advance auto lol would they be fine for a street strip shock or am I just wasting money?
Attached Thumbnails Suggestions on rear street srip shock-screenshot_2017-08-03-09-55-21.png  
Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 98camaropower
What are your thoughts on kyb adjustable gas shock ? I'm only asking because I can get them for 80 a piece at advance auto lol would they be fine for a street strip shock or am I just wasting money?
Don't waste your time or money on those. I have heard nothing but horror stories about them

Depending on your budget there are really 3 tried and true options;

The cheapest is the good old competition engineering 3 way adjustables. Not a whole lot of room for adjustment, but they have worked on basic combos for years

The next is the Strange single adjustable. The give you some more precise control over rebound, but compression valving is fixed. They are good peices for a moderate powered car

The best for the money is the Viking double adjustable. Wide range of adjustability on both the compression and rebound, excellent quality and the cheapest double adjustable shock on the market.

We carry both the Strange and Viking components here. I have run both and had great service from either. It all comes down to your budget, power level and usage as to which will fit your needs the best

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-03-2017, 09:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like mentioned above. Viking is a great way to go for the money and offers much more tuning capability than what that adjustable KYB offers.

Aaron @ Scoggin Dickey Parts Center
Email:Aaron387@sdparts.com
Phone: 1-800-456-0211 Ext: 324
Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome thanks for the advice looks like I will check out my strange and viking an see what kind of deals I can make.. thanks again
Old 08-03-2017, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you know what competition engineering shock I need for rear? Does bmr sell them?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

For the average street strip guy that just wants to improve upon what they have but not break the bank the Comp Eng rear shocks will do the trick. We have helped multiple customers over the years with very similar to what you have 60' in the 1.4 with these shocks.

Comp Eng Shocks

ll though if the budget allows you to go a little further the Viking smooth body rear double adjustable shocks work great and for the price it isn't worth with messing with the single adjustable shocks from other manufacturers. ALl though we still sell those and have for years.

For only $32 more a shock you can get these and they are double adjustable.

We do offer the Strange single adjustable as well and for years where the go to shock.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Not recommending the KYBs' mentioned in post #5,just passing on my experience with them.
I picked up a set of rear KYB adjustables at Summit in their 'demo' items sale,too good of a price to pass up even though I didn't need them. Tried them for about a year when I thought my QA1 double adjustable were starting to fail. They were good,adjustable from very soft to very stiff,provided a good ride. The QA1s' turned out they were still good,just that I had gotten too used to them,took off the KYBs' and went back to the QA1's. The KYBs' just then were stored in the garage.
Last year got a call from a friend who was racing his Camaro at National Trails in Columbus and broke a rear shock,wondering if I had anything useable to pick up on his way from Columbus to Norwalk/Summit Raceway Park for the next event. I gave him the KYBs' and he ran them at Norwalk. He said they were great and performed as good as the expensive shock(s) he had on. The strip runs were the same.
So for me they provided a good comfortable ride(after adjustments) and for him they provided a good drag shock.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

So just to follow up I ordered comp engineering rear shocks I plan on setting them at 50/50 an see how these guys rip should do the trick my guess is I am around 330 to the wheels or so..

Quick Reply: Suggestions on rear street srip shock