Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4th Gen F Body Rear End Double Adjustables

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th Gen F Body Rear End Double Adjustables

Guys,

Are there any resources on here or somewhere on the interwebs I have not yet found that assist you in setting up a rear end on a 4th gen f-body with all double adjustable stuff? LCA, PHB, Torque Arm, Coil Overs.... all UMI double adjustable stuff.

I have my plumb bob and tape measure ready, I just need to do some reading and I have not yet found a good source of information yet. Knowing what an acceptable amount of alignment would be nice too. I feel like I am going to go crazy trying to adjust out a 1/16". Being OCD doesn't help either. lol
Old 02-25-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 375 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkerbuster
Guys,

Are there any resources on here or somewhere on the interwebs I have not yet found that assist you in setting up a rear end on a 4th gen f-body with all double adjustable stuff? LCA, PHB, Torque Arm, Coil Overs.... all UMI double adjustable stuff.

I have my plumb bob and tape measure ready, I just need to do some reading and I have not yet found a good source of information yet. Knowing what an acceptable amount of alignment would be nice too. I feel like I am going to go crazy trying to adjust out a 1/16". Being OCD doesn't help either. lol
Dont sweat it man. I already spent an entire summer adjusting. there is no magic setting. Just measure both sides equal and go for it. Make sure the tq arm is pivoting at the perfect length and call it a day.

Not exxagerating. I spent a entire summer adjusting things for no change.

Car runs 7's now with a half *** eye balled rear end setup. Works better then when I tried hard.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

After speaking with a few people, I think the best starting point will be (besides setting ride height with coilovers) adjusting the torque arm to get stock wheel base of 101.1". Then set pinion angle. I should have done this first, because I think my LCA's are fighting my torque arm right now getting bound up.

Last edited by bunkerbuster; 03-01-2018 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Stupid phone
Old 03-05-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

If you're starting from scratch first thing you do is setup your wheelbase which is 101.1" if I remember right. Have your lcas and torque arm in and adjust each side to proper wheelbase by adjusting your lcas.

Next comes the panhard hard adjustment to make sure the rear end is centered. But still check wheelbase after your panhard bar adjustment.

Next set set your ride height how you want it.... but you still need to keep your wheelbase checked if you're going low.

Then lastly set your pinion angle angle and your lca angle.

Be patient. Take your time. Check and recheck the measurements.

I pulled out my stock rear tear end last year and replaced it with an S60 along with bmr double adjustable everything with Viking coilovers. I spent a lot of time making sure my measurements were right and rechecked it. I was 1/32" off the wheelbase according to my measurements. I also did the front end as well. When I took it to an alignment shop the mechanic showed me I hit the wheelbase base and centering of the rear end perfectly. He only had to adjust the caster and camber up front.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkerbuster
After speaking with a few people, I think the best starting point will be (besides setting ride height with coilovers) adjusting the torque arm to get stock wheel base of 101.1". Then set pinion angle. I should have done this first, because I think my LCA's are fighting my torque arm right now getting bound up.
Adjust your lcas for wheelbase not the torque arm. Your lcas will fight your torque arm and won't move your rear end. Adjust the lcas and the torque arm will just slide fwd or back in its bushing up at the front mounting point.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhshnh

Adjust your lcas for wheelbase not the torque arm. Your lcas will fight your torque arm and won't move your rear end. Adjust the lcas and the torque arm will just slide fwd or back in its bushing up at the front mounting point.
THAT is correct.

After you get everything installed, and roughly in adjustment, get the car on an alignment rack. Any variation of the rear "thrust line", can then be fine tuned out, by tweaking the rear LCAs.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I'll try out the order of operations above. Something else that is an issue is when I set my car down from being lifted, the suspension will not fully relax until I roll the car out of my garage. Since my car isn't tuned and had a fresh motor rebuild, I'm gonna put wax paper and trans fluid between the tires and my shop floor to ensure the tires can spread apart and fully relax the suspension. (The tires are 285 all the way around, so it doesn't slide laterally very well)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear was .02° out to the right on the alignment rack even though I put my adjustable lower control arms in evenly. It took one flat of a turn to make it perfect. If you want it perfect, get it close and find a very competent person that knows how to do an alignment not just bring the car "within spec".
Old 04-08-2018, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Norbit2
My rear was .02° out to the right on the alignment rack even though I put my adjustable lower control arms in evenly. It took one flat of a turn to make it perfect. If you want it perfect, get it close and find a very competent person that knows how to do an alignment not just bring the car "within spec".
And that's exactly was I was referring to, in my previous post. The "double adjustable" LCAs allow you to do that fine tuning...........