Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Getting a 4th Gen to Hook Nails!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a 4th Gen to Hook Nails!

I have a 1999 Camaro SS, with a LQ4 swap! The setup is stock block, milled 799 heads with BTR dual valve springs and a BTR stage 4 cam, a 90mm throttle body, and long tubes. The drivetrain setup is a built th400 with a RMVB with a transbrake, paired to a 12 bolt rear end with 3.73s. The tire/rim setup is a 15×10 racestar, wrapped with 28X11.50-15 Mickey Thompson et street R bias ply. It has a torque arm, subframe connectors, panhard bar, and a adjustable strunt with a lowering spring. What can I do, to make the car hook hard? I want it to hook so hard it will give me whiplash! Looking for the "best bang for your buck" parts.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with a good double adjustable shocks such as Vikings and then if your rear does not have them I would also consider lca relocation brackets coupled with what you already have would be a good start.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

^^^ that.
You didn't mention the torque convertor stall rating.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
^^^ that.
You didn't mention the torque convertor stall rating.
sorry its a Yank 3600 stall
Old 09-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I would start with a good double adjustable shocks such as Vikings and then if your rear does not have them I would also consider lca relocation brackets coupled with what you already have would be a good start.
I have heard good things about the Vikings. Also everyone seems to be mentioning the LCA's. So ill start with that, and see how she goes.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phazzy
I have heard good things about the Vikings. Also everyone seems to be mentioning the LCA's. So ill start with that, and see how she goes.
Bang for the buck you cant beat the Vikings give us a shout when you are ready to order them I didn't notice that you did not mention having the rear Lca's I would also get a good set of them also. https://midwestchassis.com/products/...ble-adjustable

https://midwestchassis.com/products/...ace-adjustable
Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Let's start with the basics. What lowering springs and shocks are on the car now? Does your rear end have multiple attachment points for the LCA? If not, a relocation bracket to correct your lower control arm angle would be very beneficial along with a lower control arm. Is the torque arm a tunnel mount style or a full length mounted to the trans crossmember?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Let's start with the basics. What lowering springs and shocks are on the car now? Does your rear end have multiple attachment points for the LCA? If not, a relocation bracket to correct your lower control arm angle would be very beneficial along with a lower control arm. Is the torque arm a tunnel mount style or a full length mounted to the trans crossmember?
Sam Strano Parts, and no Relocation brakets yet. The torque arm is bolted to a tubular relocation mount. (Beside the transmission)
Old 10-12-2017, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If your primary focus is on straight line traction, then relocation brackets are a must for a lowered car. Also, the front springs may be a hold up depending on what brand shocks. If they are Koni's for example, they will limit your ability to launch the car hard. The rears will be fine however. His rates are right in the ideal range for the back of one of these cars.
Also, does your torque arm mount on the crossmember have multiple mounting provisions? What position is it in now?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
If your primary focus is on straight line traction, then relocation brackets are a must for a lowered car. Also, the front springs may be a hold up depending on what brand shocks. If they are Koni's for example, they will limit your ability to launch the car hard. The rears will be fine however. His rates are right in the ideal range for the back of one of these cars.
Also, does your torque arm mount on the crossmember have multiple mounting provisions? What position is it in now?
If I go with Vikings, should I go with coilovers on all 4 corners, or should I go with coils in the front and just a double adjustable shock in the rear with the current spring I have now? Also what doing rates should I look for on a street/strip application?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phazzy
If I go with Vikings, should I go with coilovers on all 4 corners, or should I go with coils in the front and just a double adjustable shock in the rear with the current spring I have now? Also what doing rates should I look for on a street/strip application?
If a 4-corner coil-over is in your budget there is no disadvantage to them if it is not then the kit with the coil-over front and the smooth body rears will work fine but i would not use the lowering spring if you plan on drag racing the car.

Quick Reply: Getting a 4th Gen to Hook Nails!