Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

STB Touching LS6 Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default STB Touching LS6 Manifold

Alright so I've seen issues with the FAST 102 having clearance issues with STBs but never and LS6 intake manifold. I just got my car back together and am running solid motor mounts, so maybe that's the issue because there is no give or worn out rubber to let the engine sag a bit? The STB definitely had at least a finger thickness of clearance to the manifold before the solid mounts went in but now it is sitting directly on the manifold. Did anyone figure out a spacer plate for a STB? I've seen one thread where a guy spaced his up with a bunch of washers but that seems like a terrible idea to me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Which STB do you have?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Which STB do you have?
Founders
Old 10-02-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I run the Founders one as well. I've heard people using the washers idea, and have never heard it to be a problem. Any reason why you're opposed to it?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Using washers as spacers would defeat the whole purpose, there will be too much deflection in those. You really need a flush surface contact onto the strut towers. The pics on Founders website seems to be very similar to the UMI brace I have, which, with (stock) LS6 intake on my LS1, stock motor mounts (never had motor out), I still get a fingers worth of clearance (about 3/4 inch).
Strano sells a spacer plate with his brake MC brace, which is the UMI mounting plate. Maybe call UMI or Founders to see if they can sell you a raw plate for a few bucks. I bet they could pull 2 from the assembly line and stick em in an envelope or small box for you.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

I run the Founders one as well. I've heard people using the washers idea, and have never heard it to be a problem. Any reason why you're opposed to it?
To me it just seems like using washers would put more stress on the bolts and a smaller area of the mounting surface since the plates on the STB is made to sit directly on the strut tower and they distribute the load over a wider area. Although, the STB touching the intake might not even be much of an issue with the solid motor mounts since the engine doesnt really flex separately from the chassis right? I might just be thinking too far into it.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
Using washers as spacers would defeat the whole purpose, there will be too much deflection in those. You really need a flush surface contact onto the strut towers. The pics on Founders website seems to be very similar to the UMI brace I have, which, with (stock) LS6 intake on my LS1, stock motor mounts (never had motor out), I still get a fingers worth of clearance (about 3/4 inch).
Strano sells a spacer plate with his brake MC brace, which is the UMI mounting plate. Maybe call UMI or Founders to see if they can sell you a raw plate for a few bucks. I bet they could pull 2 from the assembly line and stick em in an envelope or small box for you.
I've got plenty of scrap stuff laying around that I could easily make my own spacer plates by just taking the STB out and tracing the plates and holes. But every thread I've come across regarding people trying to use a full mounting plate spacer have said they dont work. I dont see why they wouldnt, might just need to enlarge the holes a bit in the STB if it doesnt line up just right being raised up. With the solid motor mounts Id be happy with 1/4" of clearance so it wouldnt even need to be spaced out much.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zachm89
To me it just seems like using washers would put more stress on the bolts and a smaller area of the mounting surface since the plates on the STB is made to sit directly on the strut tower and they distribute the load over a wider area. Although, the STB touching the intake might not even be much of an issue with the solid motor mounts since the engine doesnt really flex separately from the chassis right? I might just be thinking too far into it.
Actually you might be right. If it's just very lightly touching the intake it may be a non issue. If it were me I'd take the car for a a small easy drive and see what happens. At that rate I think you'd be fine, and if so I'd try it again but a little more spirited drive. Basically doing it in small stages and see if it's even an issue at all. Know what I mean?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Actually you might be right. If it's just very lightly touching the intake it may be a non issue. If it were me I'd take the car for a a small easy drive and see what happens. At that rate I think you'd be fine, and if so I'd try it again but a little more spirited drive. Basically doing it in small stages and see if it's even an issue at all. Know what I mean?
I've been driving the car very spirited for about a month now since getting it back together and I havent noticed any issues to speak of. It more or less just been one of those things in the back of my mind that just bugs me.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zachm89
I've been driving the car very spirited for about a month now since getting it back together and I havent noticed any issues to speak of. It more or less just been one of those things in the back of my mind that just bugs me.
Yep I hear you, and it would bug me to, but it sounds like youre fine then. Like mentioned above maybe the guys at Founders, BMR, UMI, etc....would have some ideas. I have a buddy who used some extra washers to clear his 102, and to this date he's had no issues, but that's not to say it's the smartest idea lol