Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pro Fab K member owners....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pro Fab K member owners....

I received my Pro Fab mild steel K member today...finally. My K member has integrated motor mounts built onto it, similiar to BMR's setup. This is not how they are pictured on their website....have they made a design change? These integrated mounts do not have enough clearance built into them to clear the stock clamshell motor mounts. Anyone else have this problem? It is too late to call them. I can clearance the pedestal to fit the clamshell if I have to. Just want to see if anyone else got one of these LS1 K members with integrated mounts??

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-08-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

must be new... mine didn't have any integrated mounts...

noticed your sig also... Since 6-15, that's like 2 weeks... whoopptie dooo
Old 07-08-2004, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by angst911
must be new... mine didn't have any integrated mounts...

noticed your sig also... Since 6-15, that's like 2 weeks... whoopptie dooo
Yes, they shipped it out Monday and got it today....3 weeks. It is the fact that I was told it was "shipping today" since June 21st. I called them several(4 or 5 times) and that is what I was told....never really knew when I would actually see it.

I am happy with the product now that I have it. I just want to know if anyone else has the integrated mounts. There is no way a stock clamshell will fit, it will have to be clearanced(grinder). I am test fitting it with the engine on a hoist in the driveway, so nothing else is interfering.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

strange... give them a call tomorow:
1-812-392-3431 tech line

I ordered mine through Nasty Performance.. I knew I was going to have to wait on mine though...
Old 07-09-2004, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by chino_man279
I received my Pro Fab mild steel K member today...finally. My K member has integrated motor mounts built onto it, similiar to BMR's setup. This is not how they are pictured on their website....have they made a design change? These integrated mounts do not have enough clearance built into them to clear the stock clamshell motor mounts. Anyone else have this problem? It is too late to call them. I can clearance the pedestal to fit the clamshell if I have to. Just want to see if anyone else got one of these LS1 K members with integrated mounts??

Thanks,
Joe
Damn....I have one on the way that I ordered on 6/22. Can you post some pictures of the problem area?

Thanks

John
Old 07-09-2004, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Update: For those interested

I called Pro Fab this morning to get the scoop on my K member. I did receive the correct K member with the integrated mounts on it. I seem to be the first one to run into trouble with getting the clamshell to fit. So, I clearanced the integrated, pedestal, mounts to fit the clamshell. I had to cut off about 3/4" of material from the side of the mount that faces the motor...~1hr with a cutoff wheel to do both the driver and passenger side. I got this all done and go to fit the motor and it does not fit. The pedestals on the K member are too close together!! I bolted one side to the k member and the other side is about 1/2" off.

Just to make sure, I took it all back apart again. I tried to mount everything up on a spare block that I have sitting here. Again, I had no luck. So, I changed from the poly mounts back to the factory rubber mounts. Pretty sure this would not make a difference, but I have seen crazier things happen with these cars. Big surprise, same results.

By this time it is about 5 PM, I hurry up and call Pro Fab again hoping they are in. I get ahold of them and he(cannot recall name at this time) said he would ship another one out to me on Monday. I will post back up with the outcome of this ordeal. They seem to have great customer service(I called at least 5 or 6 times today) and a quality product...in terms of welding quality and tubing size, etc....

Joe
Old 07-09-2004, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

John, I can post up some pictures of what I clearanced when I find my smart card reader. The clearancing is not a big deal though. One side of the "U" that holds the clamshell is triangulated and the other side(motor side) has 1.5" flat stock on it. I cut the flat stock down to .75". I figure it is not a big deal...seeing how BMR does not have reinforcements on the "U" as far as a I can tell.

Joe

Originally Posted by JNorris
Damn....I have one on the way that I ordered on 6/22. Can you post some pictures of the problem area?

Thanks

John
Old 07-12-2004, 02:44 PM

Joe,

Any updates on your problems?

John
Old 07-12-2004, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

No updates....Pro Fab called me and had found the issue with the K members. I guess there were a couple of them made wrong and he is fixing them. He is also contacting individuals who received the defective ones. I should have my new one in a few days. I will post back up then....

Pro Fab contacted me today to indicate the problems....I have to admit their customer service gets mad props from me. They are coming through with this issue without any hassle what so ever. Great Job Pro Fab!

I am still trying to get pictures up of how mine had to be clearanced(hopefully not needed with new one). My computer went down Saturday and I had to reformat/rebuild it. I am almost complete with it, so pictures will be up soon hopefully.

Joe
Old 07-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

TTT... Has anyone else tried to install the new style K-member. I have purchased one also. I haven't been contacted by Pro Fab but I sure don't want to get started installing it if it isn't going to work.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Default k MEMBER

SEND BACK THE K MEMBER . WE HAVE APROX 10 K MEMBERS THAT HAS THE MOUNT INSTALLED WRONG . IF YOU NEED YOUR CAR DRIVING i WOULD NOT TAKE IT APART TO CHECK IF YOURS HAS THE BAD MOUNTS. JUST SEND IT BACK I WILL TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU AND ANY SHIPPING COST.

Quick Reply: Pro Fab K member owners....