Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

springs/shocks for 2001 Camaro SS Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs/shocks for 2001 Camaro SS Convertible

I'm looking to change the shocks and springs on my 2001 Camaro Z28 SS (convertible), mostly because it scrapes over any bump (it seems to be scraping the pipe that is just before the catalytic converter) - even if I come to a complete stop on top of a speed bump. I just got the car earlier this year. One of the things that were done to it was lowering it. I've identified the (front) springs as H&R 50732. I'm not sure what shocks are on it yet.
I have been reading many threads on the subject, but after looking up the springs that are currently on the car, I learned that the convertible uses different springs in the very least, because the description says not to use those spring with convertibles. This leads to my first questions:
What are the stock spring rates (and length) for the convertible?
Are the shocks different from the coupe too?
Any other differences I should know about for this job?

I'm leaning towards getting a full set of Koni Str.t shocks (front and rear). I've read a couple people saying that these actually raise the car a little. Is this true? And if so, should I get lowering springs to use with these shocks to get a stock ride height?

If the Koni Str.t shocks don't affect ride height at all, what are my stock ride height spring options?
Are the QA1 springs stock height springs, and can they be used with other shocks at all?
I'm guessing that coilover springs (such as strange hypercoils) are different and not compatible with non-coilover setups...

Sorry about so many questions (I'm sure I'll have more). I just feel its best to just ask (after reading so many articles/posts, then finding out the vert might be different).

Thank you.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey!

I have a 2002 camaro z28 convertible (ss clone) that i did a complete suspension overhaul on. Link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...ld-ragtop.html

Before suspension I had poorly made true duals on car which didn’t scrape at stock height but it did after lowering.
Its not the suspension equipments fault , almost every fbody dual exhaust pipes barely fit after it’s lowered.
I changed my exhaust and it doesn’t scrape anymore.

I went with koni STR.t and bmr 1.25” lowering springs.
Car drives and handled great, but I still don’t like how the front air damn plastics scrape on semi steep driveways so I ll
be switching back to stock springs.

I dont beleive spring rates are different for coupe vs convertible car since the convertible is marginally heavier than a TTop car(depending on options).
Old 12-28-2018, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I suggest you contact Sam Strano and he can set you up with what you need. I have Koni Strt's with Strano springs on my 99 z28 vert. Stock exhaust now does scrape on high speed bumps and front airdam does scrape on steep driveways, but I'm cool with that. From what I've read, if you go with stock spring height, Bilstiens are the better choice.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:38 PM
Teching In

The main reason that I'm considering the Koni Str.t over the SLP Bilstein is the $100 difference in price. Both brands are highly regarded from what I've read across the forums. I'm considering going with the Bilsteins, but my budget is only $500-$600, and I need the springs too. What other parts am I going to need for this job? The Bilstein HD shocks need a number of parts. Do the SLP ones need those parts to, or are they included? It looks like the Konis include some of that stuff. I'll be sure to contact Sam and see what he can tell me. Thank you.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
...I still don’t like how the front air damn plastics scrape on semi steep driveways so I ll
be switching back to stock springs.
I have stock height aftermarket springs on my car and the front air dam still scrapes the pavement even on a mild decline. You have to practice with pulling out on an angle, one wheel on the pavement the other on the exit from a lot for both front and rear wheels. It helps to minimize the scraping if not eliminate it altogether. I would love to raise the car a little more but then you immediately run into the problem of fender gap. Maybe bigger wheels would solve the problem, I used to run 18 inch Z06 wheels that I sold with my first car and I don't remember the car scraping after I had those wheels put on. I prefer my 17 inch wheels now and I have plans in the future to use 17 inch Corvette "Saw blades" so perhaps the custom shop by then can come up with an idea to remedy this problem. Has anyone noticed a lot of the newer cars with front aerodynamic dams getting tore up because they too hit the pavement?! I am so glad my bird is a tad aerodynamically dirty and only has the air dam for the radiator scraping!

Originally Posted by xny1989
...From what I've read, if you go with stock spring height, Bilstiens are the better choice.
Originally Posted by Link500X
The main reason that I'm considering the Koni Str.t over the SLP Bilstein is the $100 difference in price. Both brands are highly regarded from what I've read across the forums. I'm considering going with the Bilsteins, but my budget is only $500-$600, and I need the springs too. What other parts am I going to need for this job? The Bilstein HD shocks need a number of parts. Do the SLP ones need those parts to, or are they included? It looks like the Konis include some of that stuff. I'll be sure to contact Sam and see what he can tell me. Thank you.
I am using Bilstein shocks made for stock ride height springs on my car. In my experience, YOU WILL LIKELY REGRET HOW STIFF THEY ARE! If you hit a pot hole be prepared to be jarred like a S.O.B. Even light dips in the road are uncomfortable and sometimes scary. I suggest you try to get softer shock absorbers and I would LOVE to read those suggestions as well! Somehow I am thinking I am stuck with the cheaper Monroe shocks. I don't need adjustable shocks or anything fancy, just very smooth and soft dampening for my springs, as close to feeling like you are riding on a cloud as you can get on the cheap with my suspension and under-body mods.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm leaning towards getting a full set of Koni Str.t shocks (front and rear). I've read a couple people saying that these actually raise the car a little. Is this true? And if so, should I get lowering springs to use with these shocks to get a stock ride height?
Honestly, this problem can be easily remedied with 18 inch wheels to fill in the fender gap a little bit. Assuming you don't wish to do that, you can cut off some of the new stock height springs to lower the car to the aesthetic ride height you are looking for! Custom shops do it all the time! When I had my Bilstein shocks put on they certainly raised the car from what I remember but again my rear shocks were totally shot at that point and my car's front end dipped a little which was pleasant to look at and gave it some attitude with such a stance. I will have all those issues dialed in when the car gets it's overhaul job in the future.

If the Koni Str.t shocks don't affect ride height at all, what are my stock ride height spring options?
Are the QA1 springs stock height springs, and can they be used with other shocks at all?
I'm guessing that coilover springs (such as strange hypercoils) are different and not compatible with non-coilover setups...

Sorry about so many questions (I'm sure I'll have more). I just feel its best to just ask (after reading so many articles/posts, then finding out the vert might be different).

Thank you.
From my understanding, the bulk of aftermarket brands are lowering springs from BMR to Bilstein to the others out there. I had to replace my springs in 2013 since they were pretty rusted at that point. I went with Summit's springs although one shop said they were not right for my car but didn't specify why. I would suggest going with Moog springs, the ones I turned down since Summit's springs were cheaper but I guess I paid for it in the end. Hey, my car is my hobby anyways and I do love driving her.

I actually looked up the Koni Str.t shocks and I was impressed, especially by a performance shop write up that I can't mention here since they are not an LS1 tech contributing vendor. I will say this, the Bilstein shocks are way too stiff, in combination with my suspension and unibody reinforcement mods. I am leery of going with Monroe, probably because I don't expect them to hold up as well as the Koni brand, but I am going to say that I would strongly urge you to go with the Koni Str.t since my experience with the Bilstein shocks these past going on six years has been brutal on both me and my poor car, rattling the panels to high holy hell!
Old 12-31-2018, 12:36 PM
FormerVendor

The QA1 springs are a barrel shaped spring with a 2 /12" ID on the bottom to allow them to sit on our coil-over hardware on our shocks. These are not a direct replacement for use with the OE front shocks. Our front coil-over kit (shocks and springs) does allow for ride height adjustment.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately coilovers are double what I can afford to spend. I'll likely go with the Koni Str.t shocks. Sam said that they are actually subcontracted by Koni to another company in Argentina, so that does worry me a little bit. The main reason for choosing the Konis (for me) is the price. They are not only cheaper, but come with more components (spring perches, dust boots and bump stops). He also said that he recommends OE springs (even if used) over Moog or TRW, as those 2 brands are taller than stock. I'd rather avoid used stuff, so will probably end up doing some math and finding another option, or usings springs that only lower 0.5" or less. Also, I do currently have staggered wheels on the car (Corvette, 19" in the back, 18" in the front). I will be swapping these out at some point in the future too, because the staggered setup messes with the ABS (probably 17s all around, maybe 18s).
Old 01-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Anybody know much about the SLP level 2 springs? Why are they rated from 1996-2000 (afaik, the car series is 98-02)? Will they work on a 2001 Camaro?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Anybody know much about the SLP level 2 springs? Why are they rated from 1996-2000 (afaik, the car series is 98-02)? Will they work on a 2001 Camaro?
I have them from slp/factory option in 01. Rears are sagging so in too am looking for new upgrade. From what I hear all 01-02 slp cars sag after time
Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could try the UMI 2061 and pair them with STR.T on Koni SPORT. Slightly firmer yet streetable rates on the UMI 2061's.