Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Tech video - upper a-arm mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default UMI Tech video - upper a-arm mounts

Hey guys. Check out our newest tech video showing a solution to the upper a-arm mount rusting problem - with a side of high performance thrown in.

YouTube link -->

Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great video as always! I know Ramey touched on it just briefly but can you expand on the adjustable roll center and what effects it will have with the handling or the feel of the car?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Banned

Thanks!

Raising the roll center height up front puts the roll axis closer to where it should be (as does lowering the rear roll center with Watts or PHB relo).

We get incremental gains in rate of camber gain as well.

The feel is less body roll and quicker response in slaloms because the car "isn't teetering on a below ground roll center" point.

With the front RC too low and the rear RC too high the car actually tries to roll unequally front vs rear. Since that can't happen since the car is made of connected metal, bad handling ensues.

[CONDENSED VERSION - THE TEXTBOOK VERSION TAKES A LOT OF PAGES OF TYPING]
Old 01-10-2019, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I know you touched on the rust issue comparing the stock to the aftermarket mount, but is there any worry about rust forming under your bracket in the "cup" where the shock mount goes through the rubber? I would assume it can drain out of the rubber cup somehow but couldn't quite tell and haven't looked at a rubber mount in a while lol.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Banned

With the 2335 or 2336 the small top rubber biscuit is gone and there is lots of free space for water to evaporate out of the GM biscuit.

The GM biscuit has a dip in it that can (theoretically) hold water but the open top allows that to go away.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

when you say "full race" on the coilover mount, does that mean it is not recommended for daily driver cars?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Banned

Full race simply meant "you can use a rod end double shear shock". Perfectly a-ok for street use, like with our 20-600200T UMI Strano kit.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

so using the upper hole raises roll center .....which is good ?

bottom hole does......???

middle hole....stock ?
Old 01-11-2019, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 130 Posts

how do you know which holes to put the bolt into? how dos lowering affect this? when lowering your car with the factory mount does that put your roll center at a better spot or make it worse
Old 01-12-2019, 09:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The center hole is factory location. For the customer that doesn't know why, when or if they should change roll center we would recommend the stock location and come back to making changes when the tuning is needed. A lot of things are factors when making changes like this, and this is a tuning device. For a street car run stock location. The lower hole would begin to raise the roll center, it also starts to place the a-arm in its upward arc, so as the suspension loads it can improve the camber gain. This means a customer could run less static camber because the car gains more camber in travel.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
so using the upper hole raises roll center .....which is good ?

bottom hole does......???

middle hole....stock ?
The middle hole is stock.

The lower hole raises the roll center slightly which decreases body roll and increases camber gain.

You really can't go wrong choosing middle or bottom hole (i.e. it won't make the car do anything terrible).

The upper hole is seldom used but is included because some guys using Performance Trends or equivalent software and lots of research, may want to try it.

Simple summary: If you're building a handling car, use the bottom hole.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you guys experimented with a smaller front bar with this part? I'm assuming it's nowhere near enough of a change to go back to stock, but maybe something like a 33 or 34 hollow unit.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
Have you guys experimented with a smaller front bar with this part? I'm assuming it's nowhere near enough of a change to go back to stock, but maybe something like a 33 or 34 hollow unit.
We actually have. Nate and Roger tested multiple combinations at UMI Motorsports Park on some test days this fall. I remember them commenting that it was possible to get too much mechanical roll resistance when combined with the roll center height adjustment.

If you have a specific combination question you can email nate@umiperformance.com to see if they tested it. He also knows all the tendencies.

Of course there are many, many possibilities but we haven't tested them all. Yet.

ramey
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
We actually have. Nate and Roger tested multiple combinations at UMI Motorsports Park on some test days this fall. I remember them commenting that it was possible to get too much mechanical roll resistance when combined with the roll center height adjustment.

If you have a specific combination question you can email nate@umiperformance.com to see if they tested it. He also knows all the tendencies.

Of course there are many, many possibilities but we haven't tested them all. Yet.

ramey
Glad to hear you have some data on it. It's not something I can use right now, but I imagine when the car goes CP this will be a cheap upgrade to the front end as a stop-gap before cutting everything out and grabbing a circle track catalog. I'll have to look into it whenever that time comes.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Banned

Yup.

The purpose of UMI Motorsports Park, perhaps even more that hosting events, is to have a place to gather real engineering data on our cars and parts.

ramey
Old 01-13-2019, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ramey
Hmmm, so if I'm happy with my current setup (hotchkis 36.5mm hollow, 19 solid rear bars) would I need to make some adjustments if going to the lower hole on these arms?
Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
Hmmm, so if I'm happy with my current setup (hotchkis 36.5mm hollow, 19 solid rear bars) would I need to make some adjustments if going to the lower hole on these arms?
If happy I’d actually choose the stock mount location. Why mess with a good thing?

if the car currently has a tick of understeer at the limit then the lower holes may fix that. The beauty of it is, you can always adjust.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If happy I’d actually choose the stock mount location. Why mess with a good thing?

if the car currently has a tick of understeer at the limit then the lower holes may fix that. The beauty of it is, you can always adjust.
True, but I usually cant help tweaking on it anyway! What I'm thinking is the camber gain could be nice since I still daily drive, -2.7 camber kills my street tires. So if I could dial it back some with these and be even on the track, that will give me more miles out of my all seasons.

Thanks for the responses and thanks for the continued product development!