Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best Upper and Lower A Arms for track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Upper and Lower A Arms for track?

Whats up guys. Im looking to really dial in my suspension this summer by upgrading my upper and lower a arms. The car is my daily driver and I will be doing autocross and track events this summer. I was wondering what you guy think my best bet is for upper and lower a arms for my application. Car is currently on koni adjustable shocks with bmr lowering springs 550lb springs front 160lb springs rear with lower control and w/ relocation brackets and a umi watts link. Also has umi upgraded sway bars and bushings. Also whats the best alignment to run for a track event? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running the UMI boxed lower control arms and adjustable upper A-arms for over a year now and they are great. More responsive handling than stock and lighter.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could continue the UMI trend and use our boxed lowers and adjustable uppers. We use them in the Corner Max kits and they're race proven on road courses, auto-x courses and everything in between.

We use 6-7 deg caster, around 2 camber and various toe-out for various applications.

I'm always happy to discuss at 814-343-6315 or ramey@umiperformance.com

rw
Old 04-10-2019, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You might still be able to get the Cortex Radial-X SLA kit. I received the attached quote in late 2017.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

I did not see any 4th gen stuff on the cortex web site.......
Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Go with UMI stuff, what you want is what they've been developing recently.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
I did not see any 4th gen stuff on the cortex web site.......
They don't advertise it due to only having made one f-body kit in the past. Install photos are on the FRRAX site. You have to contact Filip directly to confirm they still can make the kit.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

fraxx does not play nice if you are not a member.......and they dont seem to want to answer emails if you want to be a member

if you have access could you post the pics here ?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

fraxx does not play nice if you are not a member.......and they dont seem to want to answer emails if you want to be a member

Of course...

Old 04-11-2019, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Daaaamn! I always wondered why no one makes aluminum suspension for our cars, given that Corvettes come with it from the factory. Those uprights look slick--and very expensive. The arms look like steel, but still probably much lighter than the stamped factory pieces, and way more adjustable. Edit: Just noticed the upper A-arm is relocated about 1 foot lower
Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

the alum spindle sure is a work of art........wish i had the money..............
Old 04-12-2019, 03:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Cost aside, Filip didn't outright say whether this design was strong enough for DD use. It does significantly change the motion ratio, so my Penskes would need to be revalved to work well with the SLA kit.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
You could continue the UMI trend and use our boxed lowers and adjustable uppers. We use them in the Corner Max kits and they're race proven on road courses, auto-x courses and everything in between.

We use 6-7 deg caster, around 2 camber and various toe-out for various applications.

I'm always happy to discuss at 814-343-6315 or ramey@umiperformance.com

rw
Does the high caster keep better negative camber in turns? Only 2 static camber seems a little low. I assume you also have your upper arm mounts on this setup for roll center adjustment
Old 04-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Banned

We street drive the UMI '99 so we don't like to dial in a huge amount of static camber. The #cornermax products in this case have the roll center height adjusted on the k-member as well as on the upper mounts so the camber gain is quicker than stock. Seems to work pretty a-ok.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We street drive the UMI '99 so we don't like to dial in a huge amount of static camber. The #cornermax products in this case have the roll center height adjusted on the k-member as well as on the upper mounts so the camber gain is quicker than stock. Seems to work pretty a-ok.
I have about 2.6-2.7 camber and 5.1-5.2 caster now and still slightly wearing outside faster in the front. If I dialed camber back (which would give more caster) as well as throw on some of you upper mounts, do you think that could actually give me more camber in turns? I'm also thinking about the k member but that won't happen unless I drop the motor which may not be for a while.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Banned

Do you mean take camber out and then add caster?

Our upper mounts can lower the upper a-arm and increase camber gain (by raising roll center). That can give better tire wear by adding dynamic camber. Caster gives camber during turning so adding caster can help also...

ramey
Old 04-15-2019, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you mean take camber out and then add caster?

Our upper mounts can lower the upper a-arm and increase camber gain (by raising roll center). That can give better tire wear by adding dynamic camber. Caster gives camber during turning so adding caster can help also...

ramey
Yea that's what I mean. But I was also saying by bringing my camber from 2.7 down to 2.0, that will also add some caster because of the control arm design.It is currently maxed out with slots grinded so no more to add.

I've been thinking about the upper arms since they were announced, mine is lowered a couple inches and I know that puts the roll center below ground. I just can't decide if I want stock style since one day I might go with bearing top mount. I already have Koni's and coil over sleeves, but they are getting old, only a matter of time before they need replacing. I'm sure if I buy the stock style mounts, the shocks will blow or start leaking a week after!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

From the FRRAX admin on 5/26:

I opened up registrations last night and set it to require my manual approval. The registration email says to email me for access. I had one person do that already today. I’ll see how this goes and hope it helps. Tell the guys in ls1tech that registration is open. 😉
Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
I have about 2.6-2.7 camber and 5.1-5.2 caster now and still slightly wearing outside faster in the front. If I dialed camber back (which would give more caster) as well as throw on some of you upper mounts, do you think that could actually give me more camber in turns? I'm also thinking about the k member but that won't happen unless I drop the motor which may not be for a while.
Stock arms still then? Even with just upper arms and un-slotted lowers you should be able to get about -3 for camber ~6 for caster. Tire wear is very close to even but I would probably run -3.2 camber if I could get it.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

-3.0 degrees of camber? Won't that kill the inside of the tires quickly?

Also, I've heard 2 terms I've never heard before. Static and dynamic camber.