Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes Dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Brakes Dragging?

Are the front wheels on the F-Body intended to spin freely without drag? Mine have always dragged. I don't actually think it's the brakes tho. I seem to remember the hubs not spinning freely last time I did the brakes (5-6 years ago). In that time, the brakes have never given me any trouble. Curious what others have experienced. Short video clip below.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4889.TRIM.MOV (4.16 MB, 29 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 08:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

When you bring the car to a stop, the pads clamp down. At this point, there is nothing to separate them from the rotors except air pressure when the car starts moving and getting up to speed.

So, it's normal that when you jack any car like this, you'll feel the pads drag unless you manually spread them from the rotor.

Even once you have the brakes free, the hubs will not spin like a top. They stand up to a lot of force, so they will feel a little tough. You want the hubs to spin consistently/smoothly. You should not feel any inconsistency, grinding, or hear any popcorn sounds. The hubs will also spin more freely when you have a heavy weight on them, like the wheel.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
When you bring the car to a stop, the pads clamp down. At this point, there is nothing to separate them from the rotors except air pressure when the car starts moving and getting up to speed.

So, it's normal that when you jack any car like this, you'll feel the pads drag unless you manually spread them from the rotor.

Even once you have the brakes free, the hubs will not spin like a top. They stand up to a lot of force, so they will feel a little tough. You want the hubs to spin consistently/smoothly. You should not feel any inconsistency, grinding, or hear any popcorn sounds. The hubs will also spin more freely when you have a heavy weight on them, like the wheel.
Oooh, oooh, that's called inertia!! I read that somewhere, lol!! Post is pretty much spot on man, as long as the hub isn't too tough to spin. Should be able to spin it with the twist of a wrist.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the thorough answer. I’ve had several vehicles that had front wheels that spun more freely than these. I suppose I like the hubs and brakes to be tight as opposed to loose.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Thanks for the thorough answer. I’ve had several vehicles that had front wheels that spun more freely than these. I suppose I like the hubs and brakes to be tight as opposed to loose.
I know what you mean. I suspect that they may have been smaller brakes/pads.

We just had another thread where a member was commenting about the honkin' huge rotors we have on the front of the F-Bodies. With a large weight bias towards the front, we have beefy brakes in the front. I suspect that you'll find the rears a lot easier to turn. (In comparison, those brakes and pads are much smaller.)
Old 01-13-2020, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Considering that the rears are connected to axles and and diff and a driveshaft, the rears will certainly feel much different to spin than the fronts, even out of gear. Obvi you can't compare them directly.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
Considering that the rears are connected to axles and and diff and a driveshaft, the rears will certainly feel much different to spin than the fronts, even out of gear. Obvi you can't compare them directly.
In the frame of reference the OP is discussing, the diff lets the wheel spin freely, so we really just feel the brakes and bearings.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

In the frame of reference the OP is discussing, the diff lets the wheel spin freely, so we really just feel the brakes and bearings.
FWIW, the rears do spin a bit more freely than the fronts.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If I did that on my car I'd get 2-3 rotations. I'd check if your calipers are frozen and clean/lube the sliding pins.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by _JB_
If I did that on my car I'd get 2-3 rotations. I'd check if your calipers are frozen and clean/lube the sliding pins.
If your wheel rotates freely, I would take that as a sign the pins aren't lubricated properly or they are binding. (And the front brakes aren't clamping properly.)
Old 01-18-2020, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If your wheel rotates freely, I would take that as a sign the pins aren't lubricated properly or they are binding. (And the front brakes aren't clamping properly.)
I agree, if wheels spin freely like a bicycle then something is wrong. However both of my front wheels will spin a little with the same amount of force the OP posted. The OPs only spin about foot and stop, I think something is dragging too much.

Last edited by _JB_; 01-18-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 99 Z28 front wheels drag too. I walked into a shop sometime back and there was a modern corvette on a lift, spun the front wheel and it acted like there were no brakes on it at all. I have done everything to free up the brakes on my front end but nothing has worked. It still does it when I disconnected the brake line to the caliper. And it still does it when now I have removed the ABS. Must be a 4th gen Camaro trait.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by rayrat
My 99 Z28 front wheels drag too. I walked into a shop sometime back and there was a modern corvette on a lift, spun the front wheel and it acted like there were no brakes on it at all. I have done everything to free up the brakes on my front end but nothing has worked.
Please read the start of the thread. You wouldn't know the conditions of the Corvette and it's brake clamping before it got on that lift.

Must be a 4th gen Camaro trait.
This won't do anything. You have to physically move the piston. Eliminating hydraulic pressure doesn't do that. (There's no pressure when the car is at rest, anyway.) When we drive the car, friction and air pressure (in the absence of hydraulic pressure) moves the piston back.

If you drive the car, (or any car) put it into neutral, and coast to a stop (not pressing the brake) and then put it up in the air - the wheel will move freely.

Must be a 4th gen Camaro trait.
These are characteristics of the caliper design. Modern calipers come a part easier and I haven't seen this design on a new car in years. It's pretty wonky and temperamental. Then this effect gets coupled with a seized slider pin, for example - the effects are bad.

Quick Reply: Brakes Dragging?