Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need front and rear coil overs....who makes them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need front and rear coil overs....who makes them?

I currently run Qa1 shocks and hotchkis springs and swaybars. The car gets drag raced only a couple times a year, the rest of the time it is autocrossed.

I want to get some stiffer springs but don't want the car slammed in the weeds either. The QA1 shocks are OK, but I think I would be better off with some better ones. I would like to get a set of coil overs in the rear or at least springs with the adjustable lower perch. Who makes these and does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks
Brad
Old 07-15-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Ground Control makes a coil-over setup. You choice of spring rates and fully adjustable ride height. The match up well with Koni SA/DA or Revalved Bilstein's in the front and Bilstein HD's in the rear.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Who carries Gound Control?
Thanks
Old 07-15-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Ground Control... www.ground-control.com

I'm not sure which sponsors sell it.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

LMPerformance has em, theyre a sponsor, but the one that they have only comes with the pro kit.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also look very closely at LG Motorsports coil overs.

Do your homework ...
Old 07-29-2004, 01:36 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitch, where do you reccomend I start looking for info on the LGM coil overs.

I want to go with a coil over setup, and I've already searched on the LS1tech threads I could find. Do you have any oppinions or links to other F body sites where info might be easier to come by?

Rob
Old 07-29-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody had both the ground control kit and the LGM? any comparisons and opinions on the shocks the come with them?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ground control kit is not a rear coilover. It has a threaded perch for the spring mounting location and works great. I still fear putting the loads of supporting the chassis through the rear shock mounts, but I've never heard of a failure with the LG kit, so maybe I'm paranoid. Sam Strano has the Ground Control stuff, or call LG and speak to Lou. The LG kit is not cheap (about $1600 as I remember), but I've heard great things about it and the ground control stuff is also "legendary". Your goals and wallet will be your guide.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:33 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Goals, well everything on the car must be "the best." Other than that, going fast, and being able to handle the corners amazingly is about it.

I recently installed a race suspension setup from Ground Control on an E46 M3. I'll have to look into pricing for my car, but he paid about 6k for all the parts. He opted for titanium though

I was wondering how LG mounted their setup. Sounds kind of sketchy to me that they use factory mounts. I guess I'd have to throw the car up on the lift and check it out though.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
. . . going fast, and being able to handle the corners amazingly is about it.
You can get a Ground Control coil over kit for all four corners of an fbody for $450. You can order the kit with any spring rate you want, but the best spring rate is different depending on what you're trying to do with the car. You may want it to handle corners well on the street, in autox (tight low speed turns,) or on a road race track (high speed.) All require a different setup as far as springs, shocks, sway bars, tires, and wheels. If you get a set of CO's and Koni SA's, at least you can tune the shocks and springs for any type of handling that you may want to do. But you would need different sets of springs for the CO's. I think you could get by with one front swaybar, and maybe two different rear bars and still be able to handle all of the above.

Last edited by Cal; 07-30-2004 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:38 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

The car is pretty much just a street car. It goes down the drag strip every now and then, but the times or setup for that is not important to me.

LGM's kit may be over kill, but so be it. I'm going to possibly buy some BMW reinforced mounts and figure out how to get them to work in the rear. The way LG's kit mounts seems like it needs a bit more meat there to really be sturdy.

Wheels are 18x9 iForged fronts; 18x10 iForged rears w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 295/35/18s and 275s up front.

I'm going to use all LG suspension components.

I have a question about the springs on the coil overs though. What does he use? He used to use G2 springs, but they are no longer available. So does he still have some all ready to go with the kits, or has he switched over to a different spring.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

The valving and spring rates on the LG Coilovers are all custom, you tell him what you want, or he will help you make a decision.