Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are these defective rotors? (need a quick answer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004 | 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Are these defective rotors? (need a quick answer)

Hey guys,

I just got my rotors from Wholesale Direct (for my Expy) and they look like they have rust and other discoloration on them. They are supposed to be Zinc washed but I'm not sure if they are. There are some pictures here:

www.anycities.com/user/trpltongue/rotors.html

Does that look normal? I tried contacting Brian at wholesale direct but he hasn't called or emailed me back yet. I just got them yesterday and was planning on doing the install Saturday.

Anybody have any opinions?

Thanks,

Russell
Old 09-17-2004 | 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

The discoleration seems to just be like fingerprints and things like that. I can't comment on the rust though

If you don't feel comfterble putting them in, just return them for a new pair

-Todd
Old 09-17-2004 | 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Todd! That's kinda what I was thinking.

I tried calling Brian again but he was out and the other tech wanted me to talk to Brian about it. He said it didn't sound right. I really wouldn't worry about it except that they are suppossed to be zinc washed which should prevent any initial rust, and that rust is right at the hub/rotor joint which would be bad if it failed.

I guess I'll have to send them back for another pair

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Russell
Old 09-17-2004 | 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
Thanks Todd! That's kinda what I was thinking.

I tried calling Brian again but he was out and the other tech wanted me to talk to Brian about it. He said it didn't sound right. I really wouldn't worry about it except that they are suppossed to be zinc washed which should prevent any initial rust, and that rust is right at the hub/rotor joint which would be bad if it failed.

I guess I'll have to send them back for another pair

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Russell

No problem, I am a very bored college student with too much time on my hands

Looking at the pic again, I don't seem to see any coating on those at all. Almost looks like what happens when stainless steels headers get some action?

-Todd
Old 09-17-2004 | 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are those rotors for your WS 6??? That doesn't look like the right design to me...
Old 09-20-2004 | 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No,

They are for my Expedition.

I put the rear rotors on as they didn't have any rust on them and they seem to be working fine. I still don't know if they were zinc washed or not. I guess time will tell. I'm also still waiting to hear back from Brian, or anyone at wholesale direct about getting a replacement set of front rotors.

On a side note, and I know this has been covered before; what direction do the slots go? I think the vanes go in the same direction as the slots, so the top of the slot should face forward right?

I never can remember and they don't come with any instructions.

Russell
Old 09-21-2004 | 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are for my Expedition.

On a side note, and I know this has been covered before; what direction do the slots go? I think the vanes go in the same direction as the slots, so the top of the slot should face forward right?

I never can remember and they don't come with any instructions.

Russell
Only baer I know of that has directional rotation for cooling reasons due to the design of the vanes inside.

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2004 | 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah,

I went and double checked last night and the cooling vanes are not directional. I talked to Brian about it yesterday and he agreed that it wasn't normal, in fact he said he'd NEVER seen it before. He was a bit hesitant about replacing them because he would have to eat shipping costs but he did offer to re-plate them. I'm fine with re-plating them as long as they get all the rust off first. I'll be sure to post back to let everyone know how it goes.

Russell
Old 09-22-2004 | 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah,

I went and double checked last night and the cooling vanes are not directional. I talked to Brian about it yesterday and he agreed that it wasn't normal, in fact he said he'd NEVER seen it before. He was a bit hesitant about replacing them because he would have to eat shipping costs but he did offer to re-plate them. I'm fine with re-plating them as long as they get all the rust off first. I'll be sure to post back to let everyone know how it goes.

Russell
It shouldn't have left in the first place with that rust, otherwise he wouldn't have to worry about the recurring shipping costs.
Old 09-22-2004 | 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree. Brian said that the rotors go from his shop, to the zinc platers, and then to the customer. He told me that the rust must have come from the platers leaving extra chemical on the rotor as he would not send them out of his shop looking like that. I really don't care how it got there as long as he takes care of it. A simple re-plate should take care of the job. If not, I'll be getting new rotors and he'll be paying for shipping twice

Russell

Quick Reply: Are these defective rotors? (need a quick answer)