Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which SFC for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which SFC for me?

Ok, I have searched, read, and discussed to death about SFC. I am going to get some VERY soon, and I still can't decide which to go with. I have seen reasons to pick certain ones over the others, but I want to give a few points that might make a difference in my situation:

1. I have a lift and WILL NOT be using them to jack up the car under any circumstances.
2. I am not sure if I am going with a y-pipe setup or true duals, so if I'm welding some in, I want to be CERTAIN that their will be no fitment issues.
3. Although I most likely won't lower the car any (at most would be if I got Koni's and lowered it just a little), I don't want them to have good clearance. I've seen pictures of the LG Motorsports (G2) with the v-braces....they look like a good product, but from the side it looks weird. So if I go with them, I probably won't use the v-braces.
4. I will drag race some, but never road race/autox any. I want to get close to needing a roll bar, and I will put one in if needed.
5. I don't want to remove the interior, so the Wolfe aren't an option.
6. For some reason, I don't know why, I don't want to go with BMR. Maybe it's because I have learned that you get what you pay for. And just because I have heard some bad stuff about them, I don't want the KBDD.

So basically, unless you guys suggest something else, I think it is basically down to:
1. G2 w/o the v-braces
2. Spohn Tubular (steel or Chrome Moly?)
3. SLP Bolt-in (and replace them if they won't work with my exhaust setup)

Please, any opinions, suggestions, good or bad experiences, pictures....anything that would help me. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Boxed Hotchkis SFCs are a nice all around SFC that will tuck up nice too. Anything simple is all you need for your type of application.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

SLP bolt-on SFC work just fine, I understand though that Don Goetz SFC fit a little better then the SLP's. JMO

Al
Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard some talk of the Don Goetz SFC. Where can I find those? I would like to see some pictures. How are they better than SLP? I am assuming they would be better than the KBDD as well? Thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been very happy with my Global West subframes.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Global West.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by matts22
I have heard some talk of the Don Goetz SFC. Where can I find those? I would like to see some pictures. How are they better than SLP? I am assuming they would be better than the KBDD as well? Thanks!
You can find him here www.chirpthird.com , SLP's are good but guys who have installed Goetz SFC's say the holes line up a little better....KBDD are the weld-on type which.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LGMotorsports G2 SFC's with the v-braces, that's what I have, been very pleased with them. Yes you can see them from the side view, only the v-braces, but mine are the red ones. The black ones will be far less conspicuous from the side.

Clearance issues is no problem whatsoever, the factory y-pipe sits lower than the v-braces, so there ya go.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

I have the SLPs on my 2000 Z. They are very nice and super heavy duty. The down side is they do decrease the clearance a bit so if your car is lowered, I'd think of going with a tubular style instead.

Here's a bit of good news though... if you choose the Spohn's, I can save you some dough. I'm a dealer for them. If you want a price quote, email me or PM me and I'll get back to you. Let me know the prices you are getting from all the other competitors and exactly what you are looking for and I'll beat it.

I have the SLPs because I plan on running 9s with my Camaro and I wanted the heaviest SFCs available.

John
Old 12-06-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the D. Goetz on my 99 vert. Took a little over an hour to install, all the holes lined up easily. All I had to do was widen a hole on each side to fit the large rectangular nuts. Very heavy duty and look great, good clearance. Don will send you photos if you want too.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLP SFC very nice peices. And duals can be run with them. I did a write up on my install not long ago, you may have read it.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by psykoTa
SLP SFC very nice peices. And duals can be run with them. I did a write up on my install not long ago, you may have read it.
Link us up my friend.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is my install https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/234008-installed-my-bolt-slp-sfc-s-today.html
As for pictures of duals with SLP's. I can never get pics to upload. I always get some stupid error message.So, if you PM me your e-mail, I can send them to you that way, or maybe someone could host it?

BTW I got to push my car through some pretty curvy roads. It handles very tight and responsive, every trun felt like there was more left in the car. My dash no longer pops and farts on bumps or turns. However, my t-tops rattle more now, I think it is mostly the cold weather, but it did slightly rattle when it was hot. As for bolting them in vs welding them in. So far no bolts have backed out. And SLP's really dont reduce ground clearance all that much, I havent really looked to see how much, but I bet they dont sit any closer to the ground than the y-pipe.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by psykoTa
Here is my install https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234008
As for pictures of duals with SLP's. I can never get pics to upload. I always get some stupid error message.So, if you PM me your e-mail, I can send them to you that way, or maybe someone could host it?

BTW I got to push my car through some pretty curvy roads. It handles very tight and responsive, every trun felt like there was more left in the car. My dash no longer pops and farts on bumps or turns. However, my t-tops rattle more now, I think it is mostly the cold weather, but it did slightly rattle when it was hot. As for bolting them in vs welding them in. So far no bolts have backed out. And SLP's really dont reduce ground clearance all that much, I havent really looked to see how much, but I bet they dont sit any closer to the ground than the y-pipe.
Cool. I'm PMing you now for the pics.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT

Anyone else? I still have no clue what to get.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

Honestly if you're going full double diamond style, go SLP. They are very beefy. If you're looking for a tubular rail style, then go Spohn. If you want Spohn, let me know. I can help.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just getting on here to say that I had pretty much decided to either go SLP or Spohn when I read the last post saying I should go with one of these two. Now I just have to decide which one. Hopefully, I can get a clear consensus.

First of all, jcarroll845, shoot me a pm or an email to matts22@hotmail.com with a price. And email me any pictures if you have them. Thanks

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking. I'm most likely never going to lower the car. The only way is if I get Koni SA shocks and use the lower perch to lower about 3/4". Shouldn't make a big difference. So clearance shouldn't be a problem but is always nice.

Things I like about SLP:
1. Bolt in available (which I would most likely get and I might weld them later) and if they didn't fit my exhaust or something I could take them off.
2. Stronger/good design
3. More people have them so I get more opinions
4. I can pronounce their name (j/k)

Things I like about Spohn:
1. Tubular, tuck up REALLY close and can't be seen from the side.
2. Come in Chrome Moly, so they likely won't rust as easily.
3. Give more clearance for duals or a 3" catted y-pipe (haven't decided this either)
4. Light weight
5. Less expensive

Now, based on my first post, which do you think I would be happier with? Would the Spohn be plenty strong for a 450 hp car (in the future)? Do the SLP's rust? Are the SLP's that much stronger/better design?

Please give me some help to decide between these two. ANY HELP AT ALL!

And if anyone has any pictures of either of these installed, especially one of the SLP's from the side of the car, please post them, email them to me, or whatever. I have found some pictures when the car is on a lift, but not a side view.

Does anyone have the Spohn's? Can Chrome Moly rust?

Sorry that I'm so paranoid, but this is one thing that if I buy and weld on, I can't take it off and replace it. So I HAVE to do it right the first time. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

OK, I'll tell you now that if you don't want to see them, don't use the SLPs. You can see them standing next to the car. Of course, I wanted to see mine so I had them undercoated in red to match the rest of the suspension upgrades. I like that.

Another thing is the SLPs are very heavy compared to the Spohns, but also a better design for stregnth. If you are looking for a finished product in the 400-500hp range, I don't think you need the extra stregnth.

They both rust if you don't have them coated. These both come coated unless you go with the cheaper SLP weld on version but then you have to find the bolts to bolt it up first to weld it and then you have to finish them.

They both clear almost any exhaust configuration you can come up with (except tips out the side infront of the rear tire).

Lastly is the price difference... and I'll PM you on that issue but let me just tell you the Spohns will be much less expensive.

John
Old 12-08-2004, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Spohn's weigh 17.5 per pair. SLPs are twice that in weight. Just thought you might like to know.

John

Quick Reply: Which SFC for me?