Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Traction control kicking in...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Traction control kicking in...

As hp and tq increase how is the traction control (TCS) effected, does it react the same or kick in sensing the new power?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:01 PM
Launching!

It should still react the same way. It kicks in when it senses wheel spin.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traction control reacts to rear wheelspin, so it will operate the same regardless of power output. It applies the brakes to the spinning wheels and relaxes the throttle until the rear wheels are no longer spinning.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TooSlow02
Traction control reacts to rear wheelspin, so it will operate the same regardless of power output. It applies the brakes to the spinning wheels and relaxes the throttle until the rear wheels are no longer spinning.
I didnt know the ASR applies the brakes, i though it just pulled timing or cut out the throttle.
either way traction control should still act in the same manner as it always has.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
I didnt know the ASR applies the brakes, i though it just pulled timing or cut out the throttle.
either way traction control should still act in the same manner as it always has.
Yes, when the ASR/TCS system detects wheel slip, the EBCM will command rear brake intervention if the wheels are still spinning excessively, but only after the PCM has reduced ignition timing and relaxed the throttle. The system has worked this way since its introduction mid-year '94. The ABS/ASR changed in '98 from Delco-Moraine ABS VI to Bosch 5.3 ABS, which uses 2 completely separate rear brake lines to control each caliper individually (ASR cars only, non ASR cars still have a single common rear brake line), instead of the single rear circuit in the ABS VI system. This is to aid in torque transfer in case only one wheel is slipping. With ABS VI, both wheels brakes were activated even if only one wheel was spinning. (This is why '98-up cars with ASR braided line kits have 6 lines, while all non-ASR cars and '93-'97 ASR cars have only 5.) Other than that, the ASR systems operate similarly.

Last edited by TooSlow02; 12-25-2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for that explanation, ive never heard it put so detailed.
-Stuart
Old 12-25-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
Thanks for that explanation, ive never heard it put so detailed.
-Stuart
Yeah, I have a bad habit of going into boring and excessive detail. Mabye I'm anally retentive?
Old 12-25-2004, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I have a bad habit of going into boring and excessive detail. Mabye I'm anally retentive?
could be, its good info either way.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got an idea how bout u just go to the little traction box and unplug it! You get rid of TCS automatically then but u may or may not lose ABS who needs it anyways!
Old 12-25-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhtLT1
I got an idea how bout u just go to the little traction box and unplug it! You get rid of TCS automatically then but u may or may not lose ABS who needs it anyways!
You would lose ABS that way. A better solution would be to install a logic module. It's cheap, plugs right into the switch harness, and defaults the ASR/TCS in the off mode when you start the car, so if you actually wanted ASR on, you have to turn it on.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

You would lose ABS that way. A better solution would be to install a logic module. It's cheap, plugs right into the switch harness, and defaults the ASR/TCS in the off mode when you start the car, so if you actually wanted ASR on, you have to turn it on.

This is true also
Old 01-08-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TooSlow02, I'm calling you out on your TCS explanation. On the LS1 cars at least, there is nothing in the entire car that is capable of applying the brakes except your foot. I've gone over the wiring schematics with several GM techs to figure out exactly how it works.

BTW, pulling the TCS fuse from under the hood works real well, does not effect the ABS and is free.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWW
TooSlow02, I'm calling you out on your TCS explanation. On the LS1 cars at least, there is nothing in the entire car that is capable of applying the brakes except your foot. I've gone over the wiring schematics with several GM techs to figure out exactly how it works.

BTW, pulling the TCS fuse from under the hood works real well, does not effect the ABS and is free.
You sure? Cuz I am 100% postive I felt one of the rear brakes clamp and release a few times going uphill during a right 90 degree turn in the rain while the inside wheel was spinning.
It's kinda rare to make it happen but i'm sure i felt that a few times at least in suitations like that while on light throttle.
It's not the rearend posi unit doing that.

There's a motor looking thing in the back of the bosch ABS module.
It appears to be a non serviciable part, just a R&R item.
I would take a defective one apart to see how it works inside

Have you checked out the brake system digram for a ASR/ABS equipped f-body?
Old 01-08-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

The motor behind the ABS block supplies pressure to the solenoids to make them open and close. They don't apply braking pressure.

The diagrams I researched were specifically for my car. A 99 TA with TCS and manual tranny.

I'm not too familiar with the Camaros. Is ASR what the call traction control?

Right now it's usually the newer, high end cars that get what is called stability control. That is a system which CAN apply brakes to certain calipers to prevent the car from sliding of the road etc... F-bodies do not have this.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The motor behind the ABS block supplies pressure to the solenoids to make them open and close. They don't apply braking pressure.

The diagrams I researched were specifically for my car. A 99 TA with TCS and manual tranny.

I'm not too familiar with the Camaros. Is ASR what the call traction control?

Right now it's usually the newer, high end cars that get what is called stability control. That is a system which CAN apply brakes to certain calipers to prevent the car from sliding of the road etc... F-bodies do not have this.
Yes ASR = Acceleration Slip Regulation

I do know for a fact a few new cars comes with adpative cruise control (mercedes comes to mind) that you can set a distance to follow another car in front of you if their speed is slower than your set speed and it applies up to 25% braking if the car in front of you slows down making the distance shorter.
However that won't work well if someone slams the brakes in front of you in your lane out of the blue...

Last edited by Midnight F-117A; 01-08-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

That cruise control feature is yet another thing our cars don't have.

Sounds neat though. I don't think I would need it except for maybe on the Autobahn.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, what is the 2nd gear start thing called on the Camaros?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think The ASR is different depending on the year. I think the LS1's adopted much of the Vette's fly by wire ASR without being truly fly by wire. I know if I hammer my 01 LS1 with the ASR on the gas pedal pushes back. I know for sure that the LT cars's ASR uses just the brakes but I'm not sure when the change over to the throttle by wire happened on the LS1 F-bodys because there is for sure some serious backpedaling going on in my LS1's ASR.

Last edited by sixvi6-camaro; 01-08-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, first of all "throttle by wire" means elctrical wire, not cable wire. The C5 vettes got a computer controlled throttle body, the f-bodies didn't. F-bodies were all cable driven. They are very different from the vettes. When you think about it, there is no reason for the vette pedal to be pushed back. I don't ever remember it pushing back, either.

The throttle pushback you are refering to is caused by the TCS motor which is mounted behind the battery.

When TCS activates, it first reduces timing to reduce power. If that is insufficient, the TCS motor will physically close the throttle and you feel it pushing back on the pedal. The automatic cars also have a torque management system to reduce force to the rear wheels, but since I have the M6, I didn't go into detail on how that works.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I re-read my post realised my wording was all screwed up on the throttle by wire thing I edited it a bit too late.. lol. I'm all hopped up on nyquil right now with a bad cold.

Your post totaly makes sense I'm just out of my mind right now.

Quick Reply: Traction control kicking in...