Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Massive Wheelhop Post-LCA Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive Wheelhop Post-LCA Install

Hey all -
About 2 weeks ago, I installed BMR tubular non-adjustable LCA's with poly bushings, as well as a BMR adjustable panhard. Now, I'm getting a MASSIVE amount of wheelhop from the left side. It's worse than a few CTS-V's I've driven at work. The rear tires are Firestone Firehawk's (obviously ) with about 3/32" left. I was thinking that it was caused by a combination of the poly bushings and the low amount of tread on the tires, but I've never had problems with wheelhop with just the tires. The mounting bolts were installed and properly torqued with the suspension loaded, and all the fittings have been greased. I'd appreciate it if you'd give me your thoughts
Old 02-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Has your car been lowered? If so, then you'll have to put some lca relocation brackets on to change the angle of the lca's. Other than that, I wish I could help more.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:33 PM

You must have flex somewhere...
Old 02-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Nope, I'm still stock ride height. I'm going to put a set of subframe connectors on within the next few weeks to see if they will help at all. Thanks for the input guys
Old 02-20-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Today i installed a new pair of shocks for the rear of my car, to see if it will help with my wheel hop I've been getting lately. I took camaro for a drive with the new shocks installed and wheel hop seems to have stoped. My other shocks were stockers and the rest of my suspension is stock, except for my sfc. I was already going to install a polyurethene trans mount and poly bushing, for the stock torque arm, but the shocks seem to have cured wheel hop. I still might install the polyurethene bushing.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wheel hop from the left side is pretty abnormal I think.
Might check that the shock mount nuts are tight, esp. if
you undid the upper.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Not that this really applies here, but I have always found it interesting how wheel hop was controlled on V6 S-10s. I had the please of having 96 4 cyl, and I had horrible wheel hop. The stupid truck bucked like crazy. But I had a 98 and a 02 V6 S-10, and neither had wheel hop. The way it was controlled (keep in mind they also have leaf springs in the rear) was by a third rear shock that pretty much ran almost parallel to the frame towards the axle. Voila...no wheel hop. It would be neat if somebody could find some neat tricks like this for other cars. Luckily for me, I have virtually no wheel hop.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Wheel hop from the left side is pretty abnormal I think.
Might check that the shock mount nuts are tight, esp. if
you undid the upper.
The shock was not touched. I'm going to double check all of the fasteners tomorrow to make sure nothing has rattled loose, as well as ensure the driveshaft is not contacting the loop. I've also ordered some new tires, in case they are the cause (I've seen wheelhop caused by certain brands of tires)
Old 02-20-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Is everything tight on your rear sway bar? No damaged end-links?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

When I was under there to install the LCA's, everything was okay. I had no problems with wheel hop prior to the install. I did not modify or loosen anything during the install besides the 4 bolts retaining the LCA's, and the 2 bolts retaining the panhard rod. The rod had just been removed off of another stock-height Firehawk (2000), and did not need adjusting. The LCA's were installed one-at-a-time, so nothing was put in a bind. The LCA retaining nuts were torqued to 87 lb/ft with the suspension loaded, and the panhard nuts were torqued to the same.

Quick Reply: Massive Wheelhop Post-LCA Install