Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Slot direction

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slot direction

I've been trying to figure out which direction the slots run on my new slotted rotors upon installation. I've looked at pics in magazines and it's about half and half the way some people have them installed. I know you really should look at the vents in the center of the rotor and or the markings on the disk but my disks have no arrows and the vents in the center look straight. Now if I'm looking at the top of the rotor, should the slot look like a back slash or a forward slash? The majority of the pics i've seen look like a forward slash (/)
Thanks, pics would help too. I just received my slotted drilled Brembos from Wholesale Direct. Oh, by the way, what caliper paint would you all recommend? Thanks...

Last edited by ssPetess; 03-04-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wholesale direct told me the top of the vanes should lean towards the back of the car.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Wholesale direct told me the top of the vanes should lean towards the back of the car.

That is the standard approach (I think Baer is different, but that's usually correct).
Old 03-05-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trackbird
That is the standard approach (I think Baer is different, but that's usually correct).
Baer racing and Brembo have both gone to reverse slotting on their rotors. I guess it's the latest fad in rotor surface treatments.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it all depends on the webbing inside the rotor. If it straight, you can put them either way. I think it looks better to have the top of the slot pointing to the back of the car. It looks like it is meant to be that way. And yes, Baer reverses their rotors.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes it looks as if the vents (webbing) are straight but why are the rotors different part numbers? From what I've read so far, the slots are for dissipating gas which forms between the pad and rotor. If this is the case, I would think you''d want the slots leaning forward on the top of the rotor. I think I may have to call Brembo and first confirm the item numbers, then ask about the slot direction...
Old 03-05-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ssPetess
Yes it looks as if the vents (webbing) are straight but why are the rotors different part numbers? From what I've read so far, the slots are for dissipating gas which forms between the pad and rotor. If this is the case, I would think you''d want the slots leaning forward on the top of the rotor. I think I may have to call Brembo and first confirm the item numbers, then ask abouth the slot direction...
They're different part numbers because of the slot direction. More than likely they'll say that the slots should be reversed (slots point forward from hub to outer edge). From what I can find on the subject, reverse slotted rotors supposedly reduce or eliminate "carbon smearing" where brake pad material actually builds up on the surface of the rotor to the point where you can see black streaks across the rotor face (not to be mistaken with transfer film during pad/rotor bedding, which is desireable) and causes brake vibration and uneven rotor clamping.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I looked this up the other day and Bembro says this in their FAQ

Which direction should the discs rotate?
It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

* Straight
* Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
* Curved vane

The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first
Old 03-05-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i put my powerslots on so the disks with an L stamped on them went on the Left (drivers) side of the car I have noticed a lot of people do not follow that methodology
Old 03-05-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

since the vanes are not curved and are straight, it doesn't matter.
the vanes are what dictate the direction of the rotor.
slots can be done in both directions (reversed and traditional) and makes no difference whatsoever.... personal preference.
in your case, either way is fine.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Dumb question, if i wanted to switch from a forward direction to a reversed directon would that be a problem? i have been running my powerslot rotors for about 1000 miles now
Old 04-15-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
Dumb question, if i wanted to switch from a forward direction to a reversed directon would that be a problem? i have been running my powerslot rotors for about 1000 miles now
not a problem.

Quick Reply: Slot direction