Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Konis and Coil over kit - need advice badly

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Konis and Coil over kit - need advice badly

It's about that time to upgrade my suspension and I was thinking of buying Koni Adjustable Front/Rear Shocks and a whatever reccomended Coil Over Kit.

My only doubts are to either buy the Single or Double adjustable kit and what Spring to use. I'd like to have the options to adjust as I see fit. So any help would be greatly appreciated, I hear Koni/Bilstein are going to start increasing their prices so I hope I'm not too late.

I E-Mailed Sam Strano a couple hours ago and hope for some advice about this. I need all the help I could get
Old 03-11-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

You might as well talk to Sam when you order the stuff from him. Just a guess, but I would say Koni sa front and rear with GC coilovers. I doubt you will find a better deal than Sam.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam told me the dbl adjustable would be better, but the others will work, just harder to adjust I believe.

I had spoken w/Sam several times about my excessive rear weight, and he recommended the GC perches, 175# springs, and the Koni's (either would work)

.....at least for my application, but he is real good about responding. Let us know how it works out. The only reason I am hesitating, is b/c NOT sure if it will work with a 12B Moser. For stock, or 9" he claims no problem.

Sam is da Man! Do yourself a favor, get the ground to fender lip measurements for all (4) wheels, and if possible, scale-out your front/rear axles. He may not ask this, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have that info available. From someone who has been there, done that!
Old 03-12-2005, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea you really need to talk to him not just e-mail him because there are to many question's about your driving style and your car that need to be asked to type out and the info you get from him is priceless.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to have a conversation with Sam on the phone, but at the moment I have acid reflux which effects my throat that has me unable to talk without suffering in pain.

All I could do now is talk him through e-mail or aim. I have the money for these items I only want to know what brand spring and coil over kit to go with. It shouldnt take too long.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andros
I'd like to have a conversation with Sam on the phone, but at the moment I have acid reflux which effects my throat that has me unable to talk without suffering in pain.

All I could do now is talk him through e-mail or aim. I have the money for these items I only want to know what brand spring and coil over kit to go with. It shouldnt take too long.
Sorry about the reflux I feel your pain I've had it for around 10 years thank God for that little purple pill I take every morning and a whole different diet which is real bland. I guess you'll have to give him as much info on your driving needs as possible with your finger's. Good luck with the setup and the reflux.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Andros

Let me say that I feel for you. I've not had the problem, but know folks who have.

As much as I would like the business (since you have money in hand).... There isn't anyway for me to find out conclusively what we want to go with until we can discuss it. It will take a bit of time, but I'd be flat-out lying if I told you I know exactly what YOU need without that conversation. Sadly, that's a common thing in today's world. Guess I'm either old fashioned or a sucker for missing the money train..........

I RARELY recommend DA's, but sometimes I do. I have SA's on my car. As for spring rates, that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax. I have customers running from 400/125 to 750/225 (not my personal choice, but they are running it). I have 600/150's on my car. And then consider that springs come in 50 lbs increments for the front, and 25 out back.... Then think about the swaybars, tire compound and size and wheel size. Also certain bushings and other suspension part play in as well.

Above are some of the reasons that I can't and won't do a online recommenation. That might cost me some business, and that woudln't be my choice. But I'm not interested in doing something wrong for the sake of a sale.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-14-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam is a good man, he helped me with my suspension setup, I couldn't be happier.