Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What suspension parts do i need???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What suspension parts do i need???

I am building an 01 Z28 for my brother. He is in the Army over in Germany. He has always wanted a fast camaro so he told me to build him one. Well so far here is what we have.

01 Z28
M6
9,500 miles

Engine
AFR 205 Heads
TSP Magic Stick cam
Hardend push rods
Ported LS6 oil pump
Rollmaster timing chain
Pacesetter LT's
TSP Rumbler X
TSP lid
LS1 Edit

Tranny
Ram HD clutch
Ram Billet flywheel
Mosier 12 bolt, 33 splines, HD Eaton posi, TA cover
Drive shaft(unsure which one to use)

Wheels/Tires
He is not sure as what he is wanting to go with just yet.

Suspension
We need help in the section. Not sure what to exactly go with yet. We are wanting a clean drop but not sure if that is exactly what we need if we want to run good in the 1/4. This is also why we are waiting on wheels and tires.

thanks in advance to all,
Josh
Old 04-01-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

So your goal is to maximize straight line acceleration and not to create a solid canyon carver? That makes a big difference.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Launching!

TTT i would like to know some opinions also
Old 04-02-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really need to decide on what direction you want to go in.

A drag optimized suspension works like crap for going around corners.

A handling suspension does an OK job for drag racing. It is the better compromise plus it will feel tight and quick, like a vette.

Once you decide, we can tell you how to go about getting it.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Teching In

I talked to my brother yesterday about what he wants more. He said he wants it pull the wheels at the drag strip. so that being said I think he is wanting more of a drag setup. Unless he can pull the wheels on a setup that is meant for the twisties.

I was thinking more of a Street setup would be best. Something that will be okay in the turns but will still be good from a dig. Sorry to be such newb. but.....well....I am a gosh darn newb.

thanks for you help so far guys.

Josh
Old 04-05-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

well that's sort of a problem then because what you were thinking of vs. what your brother wants are incompatible.
I think to pull the wheels you are looking at skinnies, no sway bars, drag shocks...and by the time you're done you really shouldn't be driving it on the street. It wouldn't be too safe.

I would try to get him to agree to go the way you want...something that is a killer street handler. (besides, is he really willing to spend the $10-20K it will take to have a wheelie capable drag car?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Banned

Yea sounds like he wants a dedicated drag car. Try to explain to him such a vehicle will be fun on the track, but not very practicle...it won't handle sharp on the street and would be for 'bragging' rights for a weekend vehicle since he's not a bracket racer...

OTOH a canyon carver can still be fun on the drag strip, yet even more fun once you get it out on some curvey roads. This would be something that you might be able to enjoy more as well when he is on assignment.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to keep the car stock suspension wise, unless i break anything, until he gets back. I have tried and tried to explain what you guys are saying but he still wants the wheels in the air.

I guess we will see what happens when het gets back to the states. Oh well it will be fun babysitting the car until then.

Josh
Old 04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jyeager
(besides, is he really willing to spend the $10-20K it will take to have a wheelie capable drag car?

It isn't that hard to pull the wheels in the front.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Keenov

It isn't that hard to pull the wheels in the front.
Well, with an auto I assume you can make it happen with skinnies, drag shocks, slicks, high stall converter, and a transbrake. But you would also then probably want to upgrade the driveshaft and rear end. That could be done with a TH400 rather than beefing up the 4L60. But what do you estimate the total cost of that set of upgrades?

With an M6, what would it take? super strong clutch for the 5k rpm clutch drops, driveshaft, rear end, skinnies and drag shocks, slicks.

Am I missing anything? Perhaps I overestimated the cost. But I guess I was also assuming an engine that put out more power than stock. Say in the 500hp range. But perhaps the stock engine can create enough rotating inertia to pop the front end up?