Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rod-end Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rod-end Question

I have rod end lca and phb and I am taking the lca off for sure due to them being a little to harsh fo my daily driving, but is the phb really transfering that much noise and vibration, or just taking of the lca solve the problem. Because if not I will replace the phb too. Also where can I get 1le bushings for the lca's. Thanks
Old 04-12-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a G2 double rod-ended adj PHB with factory LCA's and I do not hear any substantial noise coming from my car...

I have read from quite a few people that the rod-ended LCA's do cause lots of noise, hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
I have a G2 double rod-ended adj PHB with factory LCA's and I do not hear any substantial noise coming from my car...

I have read from quite a few people that the rod-ended LCA's do cause lots of noise, hope this helps.
thanks for the advice. anybody else?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The noise is the LCA's. Currently, I am running an old prototype bar with "junk" rod ends. These are strong rod ends, but they have no teflon liners in them, just metal on metal. They actually rattle when you shake them (new). So, they should make plenty of noise, but I only hear a little noise over really choppy roads (think gravel alley). So, it is probably the LCA's making most of the noise.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SMDLS1
I have rod end lca and phb and I am taking the lca off for sure due to them being a little to harsh fo my daily driving, but is the phb really transfering that much noise and vibration, or just taking of the lca solve the problem. Because if not I will replace the phb too. Also where can I get 1le bushings for the lca's. Thanks
Are you feeling a harshness in the ride or is it noise and vibration that is making you want to change them? Are the rodends still in good shape or do they have slack in them?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Are you feeling a harshness in the ride or is it noise and vibration that is making you want to change them? Are the rodends still in good shape or do they have slack in them?
They are brand new, and the rods themselves are'nt making noise. It's the harshness and vibration they are transmitting into the interior. I want to get ride of it all together, so if the phb is contribbuting to harshness and vibration it's gotta go. What do you think?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

What actual parts are we talking about?

I've never heard anyone say that their rod ended PHR added noise (unless the rod ends were cheap or worn out).

Also, if the LCA bolts aren't torqued enough, it can make them move around and add noise. Especially if you have SFC's that go around the LCA bolt. You have to tighten the crap out of them to bend the metal ears tight against the bushing spacers.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

What actual parts are we talking about?

I've never heard anyone say that their rod ended PHR added noise (unless the rod ends were cheap or worn out).

Also, if the LCA bolts aren't torqued enough, it can make them move around and add noise. Especially if you have SFC's that go around the LCA bolt. You have to tighten the crap out of them to bend the metal ears tight against the bushing spacers.
Everything is torqued down, Im not saying that I know my phb is making noise Its just that if it is contributing to the harshness and vibration in the cab I will remove it along with the lca. But if people with a rod end phb dont see an increase in harshness, then I will just remove my rod end lca's.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SMDLS1
But if people with a rod end phb dont see an increase in harshness, then I will just remove my rod end lca's.
I'd start there and then see if that gets the job done.

Moving back to the rubber PHR will make the rear floppy again. Do you want that? Why did you go with rod ended parts in the first place? Just curious as most people are more interested in the performance.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd start there and then see if that gets the job done.

Moving back to the rubber PHR will make the rear floppy again. Do you want that? Why did you go with rod ended parts in the first place? Just curious as most people are more interested in the performance.
Because i didnt know they would be so much performance oriented, I should of done my research first. But oh well yo u live and learn.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Let us know if the LCA's were the source of the problem or if the PHR was also acting up.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let us know if the LCA's were the source of the problem or if the PHR was also acting up.
I changed the lca out today, left the phb in and the problem is know fixed. thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

What brand LCA were you using?
Were the rod ends still tight?
What exactly were they doing, such as tranfering a buzzing or whirring sound, a vibration? How would you describe it?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

What brand LCA were you using?
Were the rod ends still tight?
What exactly were they doing, such as tranfering a buzzing or whirring sound, a vibration? How would you describe it?
There is nothing wrong with the lca , they are not making noise themselves. They are just transfering way more road noise and vibration than the stock lca, to much for my taste. They are spohn lca.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

OK, was it a whirring sound, a humming that got louder as you went faster? How loud was it? Could it be heard with the windows down or only when up and the radio off?

I'm asking because I will replace my LCA's soon with rod ended ones. I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who made the LCA's, and are hye for sale?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Who made the LCA's, and are hye for sale?
Spohn and no i am keeping them, so when I modify my car I'll put them in for track use.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey guys, there may be a better alternative to rod/rod LCA bushings. A lot of folks say they are too noisy, why not use a rod-end on one side only to prevent binding and a stiff rubber bushing on the other to soak up the vibrations? I was thinking about welding up something like that using a 1LE bushing and a rod-end. Well I just ran across this thread, check it out:
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=3553&

Quick Reply: Rod-end Question