Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

squeak is driving me insane!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry squeak is driving me insane!

I have a squeak that i belive is coming from the driver side rear lower control arm (the front bushing). It is almost constant. It squeaks getting in and out of the car, starting from a stop, going over bumps, etc. It is also very loud. I can hear it over my wide open borla and blasting stereo. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? The only suspension mod I have is slp bolt in sfcs.

thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

grease, might be your drivers seats as well, sounds like it anyway. Control arm bushings shouldnt squeek when you sit in a car, unless your tipping the scales in an enormous fashion.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

It is definitely not the seat. I'm almost positive its the front rear lca bushing but, I only weigh 130 lbs. I thought urethane squeaks too so I'm reluctant to buy new bushings. Can I take the stock ones out easily to grease them?

Last edited by slowscott; 06-07-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

I have the same thing happening, squeak from my passenger lca chassis mount. One more commonality, I have SLP SFCs, however the squeaking started when my KBDDs were on. My guess is the bushing is slightly compressed and hence makes noises when the bushing is moving up/down or flexing. Not sure what the fix would be.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slowscott
It is definitely not the seat. I'm almost positive its the front rear lca bushing but, I only weigh 130 lbs. I thought urethane squeaks too so I'm reluctant to buy new bushings. Can I take the stock ones out easily to grease them?
They're rubber, you should be able to grease em up, they also remove easily enough. Check out all your bushings. Look at bushings holding your sway bars as well. What your saying here is that when sit in the car you compress the springs enough to move your lca's to cause the squeek. AT 130#s seems kind of unusual to me, but I guess not impossible. Hope you find it, squeeks drive me nuts!
Installing SFC's should not cause a squeek, it should fix any if anything. Were your SFC's installed correctly? You can screw it up if you dont have the suspension loaded evenly. My car tightened up tremendously after my KB DD SFC instal. IF a bushing is bound, something is not right.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

I drove the car up on blocks to install the sfcs so the suspension was loaded normally. Only one side squeaks and I installed them both so I dont think I did anything wrong. It squeaks much worse while driving then while gettiing in and out of the car.

To take out the bushing can I just take the bolt going through it out and then the lca will drop down?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Banned

Sometimes metal against metal has a chirp identical to the rubber noises as well. Have someone get in the car while your outside under it listening if you can. They dont need to start it up from the sounds of it, just moving around in the drivers seat you should be able to pinpoint it better. You might try some white lithium spray on them to see. Spray it up and go for a drive see if it quiets any. Try to get the straw into the bushing area as best as possible. I havent dis-assembled my LCA's but it sounds about right from the looks of them.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe something here will help:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/332955-lca-help-please.html

You don't need another person to help. If you put the car up on the ramps, or better yet a drive on lift, you can get under it and pull down on the car to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

99blancoSS, with stock springs and shocks it is very easy to tilt the car when getting in or out. They all do that. Stiffer springs and better shocks will prevent it.