Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Pads

Wow what a frustrating topic!

I've been searching the past week or so to see which are the "best" pads for my application (comparable to stock pads) I would go with the stock pads, but I don't want to spend $160 shipped on pads

I would go with Hawk HPS but from my readings, some people seem to say they squeek more and dust more, plus they cost around $145 shipped.

So I have narrowed my selection down to Wagner Thermo-Quiets which cost about $85 shipped and Raybestos Quiet-Stops which cost about $110 shipped (or if anyone has any other recommendations) I've done a lot of reading on both these and as usual you have 10 users who love them and 10 users who say they are junk!
So what do you guys think
Old 06-13-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Raybestos Quiet Stops on the front of my car now and they are great. No noise, and little to no dust. I haven't tried the other pads so I can't comment on them. Cheapest place I found to order them was Rock Auto.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not impressed with the Wagners. Have them on our Bravada and they overheated way too quickly through the mountains on our vacation, and no I wasn't riding them either.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Getting ready to use Hawks.

Bill
Old 06-17-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

What, no Carbotech Panther Pluses? Their only $285 shipped, dust like crazy and squeek all the time.

Just kidding, they don't squeek ALL the time.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not too sure if Axxis makes pads for OEM replacement. My Big Brakes have them, and after bedding in they literally feel like an upgrade from stock. It's almost like I finally got a free lunch.

But seriously, you might want to check if there are Axxis OEM replacement pads and check if anybody has a positive experience with them. They shouldn't be too expensive, however hopefully the OEMs are not "K-Mart."
Old 06-17-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JasonWW
What, no Carbotech Panther Pluses? Their only $285 shipped, dust like crazy and squeek all the time.

Just kidding, they don't squeek ALL the time.
Carbotech XP9 now thats a pad.

On a serious note, atleast try the panther plu pads, see how you like em. Carbotech also makes other pads, give them a try.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bobcat, then Panther+, then XP8, XP9 and then XP10. http://www.carbotecheng.com/prod-ct-compounds.htm

They have a street pad called the Bobcat. They are new, so few have used them, but based on feedback from their other pads, I bet it is a good one. About $200 shipped.

stang killer, have you used the XP9's? Are they streetable?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I've done a lot of reading on both these and as usual you have 10 users who love them and 10 users who say they are junk!
I think the differences are based on what they have used in the past. Also, some people bed their brakes in, some don't and that can make a big difference. Unless you've ever used a really strong pad, you might think Hawk HPS's are really good. It's all relative. My Panther pluses don't even compare to the stock pads. No way, and street driving doesn't even come close to phasing them. You have to get aggressive at high speeds to get them hot enough to really feel the power. They laugh at high speed stops. The faster you go the better they feel, I love that.

Another factor is initial bite. It doesn't get talked about much for some reason. Some pads grab softly at first to gently bring the nose down and then get really strong. I don't like that feeling. The Carbotechs seem to have a really strong initial bite. As soon as you hit the pedal, it jerks the car down to speed. The hotter the pads, the stronger they feel. Even cold on the street they are stronger than stock and one high speed stop is enough to get them grabbing like crazy. They also have good release characteristics, meaning if you lock a wheel, you can gently reduce the pedal pressure to get it spinning again. I've heard some of the Hawks are bad about not releasing or being like light switches, either on or off and hard to modulate. I don't remember which Hawk it was, but it was one of their racing pads.

Anyway, hope that helps. Or maybe confuses you some more.

You also really need to decide if you want to sacrifice safety and confidence for a pad that is clean and quiet. You can't really have both.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-17-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow what a frustrating topic!

I've been searching the past week or so to see which are the "best" pads for my application (comparable to stock pads) I would go with the stock pads, but I don't want to spend $160 shipped on pads

I would go with Hawk HPS but from my readings, some people seem to say they squeek more and dust more, plus they cost around $145 shipped.

So I have narrowed my selection down to Wagner Thermo-Quiets which cost about $85 shipped and Raybestos Quiet-Stops which cost about $110 shipped (or if anyone has any other recommendations) I've done a lot of reading on both these and as usual you have 10 users who love them and 10 users who say they are junk!
So what do you guys think
You looking for front pads only or both axles?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

lol, yeah JasonWW you were of no help I understand everything your saying, but i'm basically just "looking" for pads that "act" like OEM but cost close to $100 (Maybe XP10s are my answer....LOL)

Fulton i'm looking at replacing all 4 corners

Foxton, I did a search on Axxis before and I didn't find many posts, but of the very few I did find, they were not positive...
Old 06-18-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know what your looking for. A lot of folks have looked for factory equivalent pads for a cheaper price. The bottom line was that whatever they used either had a bit more dust or a bit more noise or were just right. It's a crap shoot. Some get lucky, some don't. The only way to know for sure you will get quiet and clean pads is to get the factory ones.

Sorry I can't be much help.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

No prob Jason, that seems to be the consensus when it comes pads.....

I am leaning towards rolling the dice and going with the Raybestos...we'll see what happens, if they suck then i'll just junk them and get the OEMs
Old 06-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Anyone use EBCs? I'm just trying out some EBC greens on my TA. So far, they bite pretty well, but they've just started squeeking at low speed in the morning (<1000 miles).
Old 06-18-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BOBA_VETT
Anyone use EBCs?
I've heard they can't handle much heat and that they wear out very fast. That's just what I've heard, though. How do you like them?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Fulton i'm looking at replacing all 4 corners
Okay, I wanted to be sure because you can get the OEM fronts alone for just over $100 shipped from gmpd. You're right, though, if you're talking all four then it'll be a bit more $$...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Teching In

I have EBC Greenstuffs, Had Hawk HPS before and only stock before that. So not alot of stuff to compare to but the ebc's don't dust as much as the Hawk's. They definetly don't stop as agressively as the hawks. the one member said the hawks are weak compared to real sport pads and they probably are. I liked my hawks better than the greenstuff and would not buy EBC pads again,( I hear their good on motorcycles) not very much initial bite or overall strength compared to the hawks,
I want to try either the hawk HP plus or carbotech panthers next, which will be soon. also looking for recommendations for a good street pad that provides good safety, doesn't need to be heated up to stop, has good initial bite and overall power, with reasonable (some ) noise and dust is acceptable to me, what do I get?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

We're getting a bit off topic, but of those 2 choices (hawk HP plus or carbotech panthers) Trackbird likes the panther+ better. I don't know anybody else who has used both. I like the Pather+, of course (I don't have any experience with the Hawk HP+). The Panther's provide excellent safety, in fact the faster you go, the better the brakes work. I feel much better driving at speed on the freeway. Stone cold they stop better than stock and only get stronger as you use them. Initial bite is strong. The power or torque is massive when they have a bit of heat in them. They seem to squeek lightly if you stop with light pressure, but med to heavy is quiet. The noise is never loud only a light squeek that you may not even be able to hear if the radio is on. I think of it as the race brake sound. I can certainly live with it. Dust is a bit much. I have the polished TTII rims and it will lightly darken the fronts compared to the rears after a week of driving. If you wash the car weekly, it's no big deal. It cleans easily with a damp rag.

I honestly don't think I properly bedded my pads in. After warming them up slowly I did 6 stops from 60-5 and it never faded, nor could I smell them. I don't think I got them hot enough. They cool quickly on the street so ducts are not necessary. I may try bedding them again. 6 stops from 80-5 will probably do it. The point is they can take some serious abuse without fading.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
We're getting a bit off topic, but of those 2 choices (hawk HP plus or carbotech panthers) Trackbird likes the panther+ better. I don't know anybody else who has used both. I like the Pather+, of course (I don't have any experience with the Hawk HP+). The Panther's provide excellent safety, in fact the faster you go, the better the brakes work. I feel much better driving at speed on the freeway. Stone cold they stop better than stock and only get stronger as you use them. Initial bite is strong. The power or torque is massive when they have a bit of heat in them. They seem to squeek lightly if you stop with light pressure, but med to heavy is quiet. The noise is never loud only a light squeek that you may not even be able to hear if the radio is on. I think of it as the race brake sound. I can certainly live with it. Dust is a bit much. I have the polished TTII rims and it will lightly darken the fronts compared to the rears after a week of driving. If you wash the car weekly, it's no big deal. It cleans easily with a damp rag.

I honestly don't think I properly bedded my pads in. After warming them up slowly I did 6 stops from 60-5 and it never faded, nor could I smell them. I don't think I got them hot enough. They cool quickly on the street so ducts are not necessary. I may try bedding them again. 6 stops from 80-5 will probably do it. The point is they can take some serious abuse without fading.
Not that I am an expert, however have you tried 10 stops from 60 to ~5? I figure that would be enough to induce the initial bedding in with green fade. I know that I run a totally different brake system now, however when I bedded in an earlier set of Hawk HPS front pads, I had to make at least 10 stops before they began to bed in with green fade. After letting them cool, I repeated the method the next day, and after the third time, the brakes were up to par.

also, after the 8th or 9th pass, I began to smell the green fade odor. regardless I proceeded to 10 stops then cooled the brakes.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just got through with 6 stops from 80-5 back to back. I felt a little fade. Hot, hot, hot. Put a couple of cracks in my front rotors.

I'm gonna get some Autozone blanks with the same pads. I may want to add ducts or get the vette rotors, have to see about that.

By "green fade" you mean having the pad material "cook" to cure it? I forgot what that means exactly. I know the Carbotechs are baked and cured in an oven at high temps.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads