Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Boxed SFC's interfere with factory jack points?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxed SFC's interfere with factory jack points?

Would a set of boxed SFC's such as say UMI's interfere with the factory jack points? I am wondernig because with the car so low, often I have to use the factory jack to get the car started before switching to a conventional jack when I want to lift it. I'm also wondering just incase of an emergency where I may have to replace a tire on the highway.

Anyone have any problems?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

I have UMIs boxed SFCs and they hang about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower then the pinch welds. If your car is lowered I would probably not recommend any boxed SFCs cause they all decrease ground clearance a little. I would get the tubular UMIs they aren't supposed to hang down below the body at all.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSblack98
I have UMIs boxed SFCs and they hang about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower then the pinch welds. If your car is lowered I would probably not recommend any boxed SFCs cause they all decrease ground clearance a little. I would get the tubular UMIs they aren't supposed to hang down below the body at all.
My cars not lowered at all. I'm not worried about ground clearance. My exhaust hangs lower than the SFCs ever would.

I am just concerned about getting a flat tire oneday, then not being able to use the jack that comes with the spare because my SFC's interfere.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Steve0
My cars not lowered at all. I'm not worried about ground clearance. My exhaust hangs lower than the SFCs ever would.

I am just concerned about getting a flat tire oneday, then not being able to use the jack that comes with the spare because my SFC's interfere.

Oh, I assumed it was lowered since you said you had trouble getting a jack under it. Mine isn't lower either and I don't have trouble getting a floor jack under it. I haven't tried the jack thats in the car. Good idea though! I really like the boxed style for the best strength. That is my recommendation...
Old 07-16-2005, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The loss of ground clearance with our boxed style SFC's and others is in somewhat a myth. You will notice other components installed on your car from factory will hang lower then the SFC's themselves. For example your stock y-pipe with hang lower then the SFC's, now imagine a set of long tubes, especially a SLP, Hooker or Pacesetter LT that reduce ground clearance greatly. Also on a Trans Am model the stock side skirts hang lower then the SFC's as well. Conclusion is you will do great damage to other components of the car before you ever get the SFC's themselves to scrape.

As for a jacking point, use the SFC's as a jacking point. It will not hurt them in anyway other the possible scratching the powder coat, so carry a rag with you.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 07-16-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I use my SFCs as lift points at work whe I put the car on a lift. Works great for that. You should be able to get a floor jack under the SFCs. I also want to say I recommend the UMI SFCs, they are less expensive then other brands and of great quality! Keep up the great work Ryan!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

My umi boxed subframe connectors sit higher then my ORY.. they have done a great job keeping them nice and tight under the body and like others have stated i use mine as jack points in the rear the fronts i use the factory location.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Weird, my tubular SFCs (came on the car when I bought it) hang lower than anything else...

Edit: You can literally see them from the side without going underneath, I thought they were BMRs at first but I dont think they are... dont know what they are really.

Last edited by Charging TA; 07-16-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Banned

No, they will not interfere with using a lift or any other kind of jack for that matter. And about the clearance thing, that is total BS. You lose clearance but it's not in a place that you need it. Besides, factory y-pipe hangs much lower than the SFC's. On my TA, the SFC's hang maybe a 1/4" lower than the side skirts and aren't even visible.

See pic for my car jacked with SFC's on. My car is also lowered on coil-overs. See any scratches on the SFC's? Get some BMR boxed, great mod and a very noticeable difference in stability and comfort. Yeah, they make the car more comfortable.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
As for a jacking point, use the SFC's as a jacking point. It will not hurt them in anyway other the possible scratching the powder coat, so carry a rag with you.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
I have been jacking up my car NASCAR style using the sub frme connectors for years. Certainly makes it easy to place jack stands.

Place the jack about mid door, align the jack pad on the connector and jack away ...
Old 07-16-2005, 11:15 PM
9 Second Club

Hell ya. My SLP diamond shaped rock
Old 07-17-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as I'm concerned there aren't any factory jack points. The places you're supposed to use are too weak, and can bend easily. I've got tubular sfc's, and jack on those at the flat parts where it's welded in front or back, which works great.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Geez people, he wasn't asking about clearance at all, he just wanted to know if the SFCs got in the way of the jack points from the owners manual. He never said he had problems getting the jacks under the car.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:49 PM

You should have no problem using the factory jack with the Boxed SFC's. You can also jack from the SFC's themselves.

Quick Reply: Boxed SFC's interfere with factory jack points?