Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Emergency help needed? What could i have broke??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency help needed? What could i have broke??

Last night i went out partying or whatever and we were leaving this club and i hit a Huge pothole with the right side of my car. i didnt even see it. Well now the front right side makes a very loud thumping noise. It's real bad, i couldnt go over 30 to get it to my friends house. I looked around the car last night and i didnt see anything obviously sticking out but i couldnt get underneath last night. What could this be???
Old 07-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jpat1023
Last night i went out partying or whatever and we were leaving this club and i hit a Huge pothole with the right side of my car. i didnt even see it. Well now the front right side makes a very loud thumping noise. It's real bad, i couldnt go over 30 to get it to my friends house. I looked around the car last night and i didnt see anything obviously sticking out but i couldnt get underneath last night. What could this be???
Have another beer guy, you probably just put a bump in the tire which with every revolution of the tire makes the thumping noise when contacting the pavement.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

nope...i dont drink and drive my SS. and it is way to loud to be a bump in the tire. any other ideas. i hit pretty hard.??
Old 07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

nope...i dont drink and drive my SS. and it is way to loud to be a bump in the tire. any other ideas. i hit pretty hard.??
To be honest guy, without actually being there, I can't help you. Best advice is have an experienced mechanic if you know of any take a ride and listen to it. Trying to diagnose a noise problem over the phone let alone email is near impossible. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

yea thats what i figured, i thought i'd ask though. And the name is Justin. thanks anyways.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

yea thats what i figured, i thought i'd ask though. And the name is Justin. thanks anyways.
Justin, it never hurts to ask but the fact of the matter is if you are 100% sure it's not your tires and you love your car......take the sweet ride to a shop and have an experienced technician look at it. Good luck.

Ned
Old 07-28-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Well tonight im goin to take a close look at everything to make sure it's not something simple and if i dont find anything i will definetly be taking it in 1st thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the input.

BTW how do you like your pacesetters? How was the install?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

BTW how do you like your pacesetters? How was the install?
Love them. Affordable and for a stock LS1 they did very well for the performance. Opened the engine right up.....much more responsive.

The install on the other hand was a P.I.T.A. After I found out that the right way to do the install was to drop the K-Member and properly fit everything vice trying to cheat the hell out of it by not dropping the K-Member and possibly screwing something up; I just paid my mechanic who has his own performance shop. The labor ran me 700 bucks but that was for the Header install and welding of the HiFlo Cats and Y-pipe. A little pricey but he had it all done in about a day and I had the piece of mind that nothing was screwed up. I would have done it myself but I am lacking a lift, mig welder, time, etc.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it a "whoop whoop whoop" sound that increases frequency with speed? If so, you probably have a bearing yelling at you and you'll need a new hub. If it's a "thump thump" I'm still thinking...

Last edited by pimpmaro; 07-29-2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

ok guys last night i lifted it up on the jack and took the wheel off and looked at everything i could think of and found nothing. Then i turned around and looked at the wheel and noticed the nice littel dent and crack on the inside of the wheel. the noise was that bend hitting the arm that extends down right behind the wheel. so now i get to buy a new wheel. o well, at least i found out what the problem was.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Teching In

look at your tires man or your wheel bearings
Old 07-30-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah your bearing might be ok. If its not you'll know it soon when it starts making a roaring noise. I would definitely not even consider reusing the tire. I don't care if its brand new, when they take a hit hard enough to crack the wheel the tire is junk. Even if it doesn't look like it. It might even drive ok for a while but you likely damaged/broke a belt inside and it could very possibly blow on you down the road, probably at high speeds which just isn't a nice mental picture. I am a professional mechanic at a chevy dealer but this is still just my 2 cents FWIW...
Old 07-30-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I absolutely agree on the tire issue. I'm a former Discount Tire technician so I'm not pullin it out of my ***. At the very least, have it inspected by a competent professional.

Quick Reply: Emergency help needed? What could i have broke??