Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Last year..BMR awesome....This year...BMR=K-Mart??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last year..BMR awesome....This year...BMR=K-Mart??

Hey it just seems like lately BMR has been getting a lot of bashing or being equal to the walmart or Kmart of suspension mods. When I first started researching suspension mods I wanted to get SFCs as my first mod as they were almost needed for any F Body on the road. It seemed like a year ago when I got my BMR SFCs they were highly recommended...now it seems like they are being called cheap and unreliable. Mine seem to be fine, with me noticing a stiffer and tighter car around corners etc. So is this just me or is BMR's rating going down the chute? Really would like to know because im in the market for LCAs, relocation brackets, and a panhard bar. Im going to go UMI all the way if BMR isnt going to be reliable. Experts tell me whats up pleaseeee!! Thanks for the help...

-Phil
Old 08-04-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't pay any attention to the riches to rags BS. Boxed BMR SFCs are as good as anything out there. I've got a bunch of BMR and some Spohn sway bars. The changes were dramatic and very positive. Are there brands better than BMR, it could be. But, BMR hasn't suddenly turned to trash. Not by a long shot. Oh. I'm no expert, just a satified consumer.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Too many welds have broken on their stuff. Thats what the deciding factor was for me.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

I have their LCAs and PHR and I'm very satisfied.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have their PHB and springs and I don't have any problems... With any company you will get complaints. BMR is so big and sells so may parts you are going to hear more about them.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of note from another recent thread, there was just a BMR K-member that developed a hairline crack in a weld.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been beating on my BMR componets for 5 years and still perform flawlessly.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
BMR is so big and sells so may parts you are going to hear more about them.
GM sold so many 10 bolts on 4th gens that a few are bound to break. No big deal
Old 08-04-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I never got the k-member but all the BMR stuff I did use worked great.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
With any company you will get complaints. BMR is so big and sells so may parts you are going to hear more about them.
Will you continue to say that if a weld were to fail on their parts on your car and god forbid someone got hurt as a result of it? Yes BMR is a big company, so they should have no problem being able to make a weld that will not break.

Last edited by stang killer; 08-05-2005 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

well sounds mostly like BMR is still a trusted brand, its going to be hard to decide on BMR or UMI, both have decent prices and good products I hear...tough one

thanks for the replies
Old 08-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phil8616
well sounds mostly like BMR is still a trusted brand, its going to be hard to decide on BMR or UMI, both have decent prices and good products I hear...tough one

thanks for the replies
Let me be another satisfied customer of BMR to tell you that I have nothing but BMR and I am completely satisfied.

Let me also add that the other companies such as UMI, LG, and SPOHN are comperable in quality and price.

STANG KILLER, if you don't have anything nice to say.......SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

What's wrong with Stang Killer having a different opinion. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
Old 08-05-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I could see a few faulty welds giving some items a bad name. Has the company made things right with the end user? Has BMR tried to up the quality control?

What about non-welded items? Im considering some BMR springs, and these may well be the most criticized BMR piece of all.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Okay, I could see a few faulty welds giving some items a bad name. Has the company made things right with the end user? Has BMR tried to up the quality control?

What about non-welded items? Im considering some BMR springs, and these may well be the most criticized BMR piece of all.
I have BMR's in the rear. Love'em.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Last year..BMR awesome....This year...BMR=K-Mart??
That's because stuff has finally been out there long enough to start to break. Everything is assumed to be excellent until it proves otherwise. We've apparently seen enough time pass that stuff is starting to break and the reputation is changing.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shortstuff4104
STANG KILLER, if you don't have anything nice to say.......SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH!

Stang Killer, I'll stand on your side. No worries.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Another thing to be wary of is comments like, "I have Brand X part and no problems!" What exactly does that really mean? Just because I bolt in a part and I have "no problems" doesn't mean its performing its intended task or making any improvements. For example, the stock parts perform with "no problems" 97% of the time, so why replace them at all if that's the only criterion?

FWIW, I still have some BMR parts that I like (LCA relo. brackets and STB), but there are others that I would not even consider installing on my vehicle.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never been throroughly impressed with most of the BMR stuff, with the exception of their extreme duty line of parts. I have their extreme duty torque arm on my car and it is a very nice peice. Their extreme duty LCAs that I saw in person were also top notch quality.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortstuff4104
The original poster asked "Why is BMR considered K-Mart brand"?

Unfortunately, there have been a lot of us who have gone down the BMR path, only to find their parts didn't measure up to an individual's performance standards (that means it broke).

So, we moved on.

If you have BMR parts on your car and they have worked flawlessly, then ...

1 - you don't run your car as hard as the next guy

2 - you have been lucky

3 - you have purchased parts since Brett has learned of our fate

I broke a end off of a PHB. The casing surrounding bushing broke at the weld. I contacted Brett, he sent me a rod end (at my expense) and I installed it. It sounded like a someone hitting the bottom of my car with a ballpeen hammer.

It was then I found LG Motorsports. I've had the same PHB on my street car of 10s of thousands of road course miles, using R compound 315 racing slicks and it has performaed flawlessly.

I quit looking at parts after that. I'm sure there are improvements Brett has made. It's just hard to go back.

Ryan at UMI has picked my brain extensively, asking what components break and where. He has been very open to suggestion and I think modified his parts according to interviews he has taken.

I would give UMI a long hard look if I were again in the market.

1 man's opinion ... it's basd upon fact.