Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best pads n rotor combo

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best pads n rotor combo

im looking for a good pair of rotors and pads to put on the front of my 2002 camaro ss i was looking at the powerslot slotted and dimpled rotors anyone have any experience using these?also what pads are good to go with that wont squeal?thanks..Dan
Old 08-10-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are you looking for looks or performance?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Import Patrol

I have had horrible luck getting my brakes to stop squeeking once I put on my brembo cross drilled rotors. After going thru 4 diff types of pads, I finally got hawk performance pads, works like a champ. They are great pads
Old 08-10-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default pads n rotors

i want something that performs good and looks good as well thats why i been lookin into the powerslot dimpled and slotted they look decent but i dont no how they perform,these damn stock ones keep warping on me.with the pads i hear good things about hawks but everyone says they make so much damn noise,i have rebestos qs ceramic pads i had bought a couple years back i might just throw these on with a set of powerslots.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you bedding in your rotors and pads correctly? I know that stock rotors aren't very good, however any rotor (expensive or inexpensive) will warp if they're not bedded in properly.

If you do indeed select a rotor that is dimpled and slotted, be aware that these rotor face features practically do nothing to enhance braking capability. The dimples are to enhance outgassing performance while slots are used to provide a constant wipe and to remove outgassing. In other words, they're mostly looks and probably do more harm to performance than good. Practically all pads manufactured today do not outgas, except while bedding in. They won't prevent warping any more than blank rotors.

I say go for a decent set of pads and go for either duralast or brembo blank rotors.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Drilling and slotting are no help in terms of braking power. Further, they can shorten the life of the pads and rotor itself since you get a cheese grater effect on the pads, and any slot or hole (or dimple) put into a cast rotor weakens the structure of the disc.

Squealing comes from a few things, but most often the pad moving around a bit in the caliper. You have to make sure you have all the hardware in place, that it's in good shape, you don't have a caliper hanging up (common on LS1 front caliper slides). Then the compound itself can be part of it. But again, the chees grater effect will want to grab the pad and try and shift it around.

Brembo rotors are great for this car. I'm not talking about the Sport rotors that are drilled and so on. I'm talking about regular "blank" non-drilled or slotted rotors. They are not a ton of money (fronts are $67 each), rears roughly the same. They are made of a high-carbon iron, they are very durable, and have excellent warp resistance.

As for pads, you have a lot of choices, and they depend on things like noise, performance, price, etc. For street use, even hard street use I prefer the PBR MetalMasters in front and Hawk HPS's in the rear. You can do the HPS in front too, but they cost more, have less initial bite and are a bit dirtier. I run the PBR/HPS combo on my car for everything but outright road course use, when I step up pads. I use them on the street, I use them when I autocross......
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

To the top, I think I'll go with Sam's recommendation.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/262940-replacing-rotors-what-get.html
(Just dont do what absolut_speed said in that thread, he was joking.)

Thats just one of many threads on the subject.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW I run the autzone rotors and they were cracked and hot spotted to hell and back, but never warrped. Its all how you take care of em. Dont drive the car hard, then come to a red light and sit on the brake pedal. Dont ride the brakes (it just builds up heat) if you know the brakes are pretty hot, drive around for a while so they can cool off.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

They just weren't warped very badly.... The cracking and hot spots come from the metal flexing. Each hot spot is a high spot which was in contact with the pads more, got hotter than the surrounding metal and turned blue.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-12-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default pads

thi9s question is for sam i just ordered some brembo rotors,they offered axxis ceramic pads and the metal masters pads which would you suggest and out of the two which are cleaner in terms as dust and noise,thanks.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Import Patrol

don't care if the pads wear out faster, but the cross drilled, or slotted helps cool the rotors and in return you dont warp your rotors frequently
Old 08-13-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ImportPatrolWS6
don't care if the pads wear out faster, but the cross drilled, or slotted helps cool the rotors and in return you dont warp your rotors frequently
Please study the plethora of information regarding this topic. You are incorrect. May I refer you to the Brake FAQ sticky and the search feature.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
They just weren't warped very badly.... The cracking and hot spots come from the metal flexing. Each hot spot is a high spot which was in contact with the pads more, got hotter than the surrounding metal and turned blue.
Learn something new every day, thanks. Now time to get a brake duct set up going.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ImportPatrolWS6
Nope, that isnt true.
Read the thread to which i linked in my post above and check out the faq like pimparo said.

Quick Reply: best pads n rotor combo