Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Which adjustable transmission mounted Torque Arm?
BMR
25.00%
Spohn
16.67%
UMI
50.00%
L.G.
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Torque Arm for Pacesetter/TSP catted Y

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torque Arm for Pacesetter/TSP catted Y

I'm pretty new to torque arms so I'm wondering which torque arm I should get. I've pretty much decided on a transmission mounted TA b/c of clearance and I'll also be getting adjustable unless someone know's of a reason not to. A few questions though:

Which brand works the best with Long tubes and Catted Y - BMR, Spohn, UMI, LG...

Chrome Moly worth it? What's the difference?

Should I get a TA with a driveshaft safety loop or buy one seperately? At what 1/4 ET mile time do I need a driveshaft loop?

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 10-09-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:59 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Re 98 Camaro
I could not get a Spohn tranny mount torque arm to clear my factory Y pipe. I later put on Mac headers and cat Y pipe and it still hit the Mac Y pipe. The other designs (BMR, UMI, Random) seem to allow a little more clearance at the front over the Y pipe. The bottom tube slopes up on a steeper angle. All of them seem to be great quality. I am using a BMR ajustable torque arm now with the relocation kit. I am realy happy with it. Also, with it set at the highest position there is alot of room under it. I can't imagine this combo interfearing with any Y pipe. On the other hand, you do have to be carefull about hitting the floor in the tunnel.

JA
Old 10-10-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ttt...

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 10-10-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

im running the spohn, and am having no problems with it. I like it because I got the drive shaft safety loop with it
Old 10-11-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JGA
Hi

Re 98 Camaro
I could not get a Spohn tranny mount torque arm to clear my factory Y pipe. I later put on Mac headers and cat Y pipe and it still hit the Mac Y pipe. The other designs (BMR, UMI, Random) seem to allow a little more clearance at the front over the Y pipe. The bottom tube slopes up on a steeper angle. All of them seem to be great quality. I am using a BMR ajustable torque arm now with the relocation kit. I am realy happy with it. Also, with it set at the highest position there is alot of room under it. I can't imagine this combo interfearing with any Y pipe. On the other hand, you do have to be carefull about hitting the floor in the tunnel.

JA
This is with a Tranny mounted T/A? I thought they run along the driveshaft up under the tunnel and have no clearance problems. Are you talking about a chassis mounted T/A?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zeus
This is with a Tranny mounted T/A? I thought they run along the driveshaft up under the tunnel and have no clearance problems. Are you talking about a chassis mounted T/A?
Hi
I bought a tranny mount torqur arm. It's the one that has a poly bushing in the clam shell that bolts to the tail shaft of the tranny.

My problem was not about clearance under the rear connector of the Y pipe. That is the location that typically interferes with the cross memeber on a tunnel mount torque arm.

My problem was at the front just behind the clam shell mount. On a 98 and newer car the Y pipe crosses over directly under the front of the torque arm. The bottom of the Spohn torqure arm sits lower at the front then the BMR, Random, UMI, etc. It's just shapped differently. The BMR unit has a bottom tube that slopes up at a steeper angle. It gives a little more clearance at the front over the Y pipe. It fit no problem on my car, while the Spohn did not.

I am not saying the Spohn tranny mount torque arm won't fit on your car. There are plenty of people on this forum that use it with no problems. It is also a really nice unit. However, the clearance at the front is significant. It realy comes down to a hard lesson in "bolt on 101". You buy a new torqure arm and install it. You then take a gamble when you buy your new LTs and Y pipe because you do not know if it will fit with your new torque arm. Or on the other hand, you install your new LTs and Y pipe and then take a gamble buying a torqure arm because it may not fit with your new Y pipe. The Spohn unit is less forgiving in this regard. The BMR unit is more forgiving and in my opinion, less of a gamble.

Sorry for rambling on so long, but in my opinion if you buy a part advertised as a bolt on, it should work on a stock configuration. There is no way a manufacturer can anticipate all the different possible combinations of aftermarket parts when they design a product. But it should be tested true on a stock configuration.

JA
Old 03-06-2008, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for the interest in our products.

All (3) torque arms I have linked below will clear and work with the TSP catted y-pipe. I will warn you though the TSP y-pipe hangs low and may take some adjusting to get it to seat properly with a shorter style arm. This isn't just with our set-up, its will all of them. But we have installed many of them with the TSP y-pipes and it all fits well.

This item here is a transmission mounted arm, there will be no issues at all with the TSP y-pipe- www.umiperformance.com/2205

Here is our shorter tunnel mounted arms, they have clearance built in to clear larger and lower y-pipes. They are the same arm, one just has a drive shaft loop and one doesn't

www.umiperformance.com/2202
www.umiperformance.com/2203

If you have any questions regarding our product please ask. Thank you!
Ryan

**EDIT** I just realized this thread is over 2 years old, someone must have voted and bumped it up top.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Quick Reply: Torque Arm for Pacesetter/TSP catted Y