Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pads wont go over rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pads wont go over rotor?

i went to change the back brakes on my trans am and got the driver side done fine but when i got to the passenger side the pads wouldnt fit over the rotor. i tried pushin the caliper back futher but i didnt make a difference. and its not like its just off by a little bit its off by almost the whole thickness of the pad.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try getting a c-clamp & compressing the piston in the caliper. That sounds like its your problem.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

^I second that opinion. You might have to open the bleeder valve to let out a little of the compression in there, but probably not.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His slider pins may be stuck and not allowing the caliper to slide over the rotor. I'm basing this on the fact that he got one side done, so he would seem to know how to do it, it's just that the side with the stuck, or potentially stuck, slider pins has thrown a curve ball.

See if you can move the two "pins" that the bolts that hold the caliper on screw into. If not, try to pound them out and get new ones at the dealer (clean out the bracket where they were with some brake clean and find a way to get the rust and crap out of there. Or, replace the PAB (bracket) and the pins and be on your way.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Teching In

before you do the slider pins try to compress the piston first if you havent done so.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you don't have a c-clamp, just a large channel locks and some muscle will work fine.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skunkdya
If you don't have a c-clamp, just a large channel locks and some muscle will work fine.
Or go to Auto-Zone and borrow their Great Neck 11 Pc Disk Brake Tool Set, AZ part # 27111. It's one of the tool sets that AZ loans out and is explicitly designed to assist in doing what you need to compress the piston back into the caliper. I used to do the C-Clamp method but this is way easier.

FWIW since I have speed bleeders on all my brakes when I compress the pistons I have the bleeders cracked open (with tubing on the bleeders, of course) so that I'm not working against the system and instead force the fluid out of the calipers. If you aren't cracking the bleeders open you might want to give that a try regardless of what tools you are using to compress the pistons.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Make sure you lube up the pins with high temp grease, or your pads could wear uneven.