Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just a Front Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just a Front Sway Bar

I'm looking at getting some Strano sway bars. I've heard that you can just get the front bar and it'll make a huge difference. Is this true or do I need both? Also I've been told Strano's are the best but why do they cost more than other brands?
Thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've read, they are nice and big but they are also hollow so they don't add weight.

It's the best of both worlds. People want a bigger sway bar for handling but also some people remove the sway bar all together because of the weight.

I hope someone chimes in with more accurate info but I believe I am correct.

I am getting interested in these bad boys as well, do I hear GP anyone ???
Old 11-08-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

I've also heard that just adding Strano's front bar makes a HUGE difference. But wouldn't that make the car understeer unless you put the rear bar to even it out? Hopefully Sam will chime in soon.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
From what I've read, they are nice and big but they are also hollow so they don't add weight.

It's the best of both worlds. People want a bigger sway bar for handling but also some people remove the sway bar all together because of the weight.

I hope someone chimes in with more accurate info but I believe I am correct.

I am getting interested in these bad boys as well, do I hear GP anyone ???

Yes but you can buy other hallow bars as well and wouldn't the hallow bars be cheaper because there's less material?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy with my Strano front bar. I still need to install the rear one. Turn is is improved. The biggest difference is in the center of the corner. Where the smaller bar would start to push the nose, the bigger just hangs in there. I have noticed that it may make the car a touch looser on exit than before, but that is probably attributal to higher speeds through the center of the corner.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

I've got the strano front bar as well....I like it a lot...made the front end feel a lot tighter
Old 11-09-2005, 10:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

If you are interested in the a lot of detail, then let me ask you call me. It's not an easy thing to describe in an e-mail.

Why are my bars "more expensive" than other bars? And shouldn't hollow be cheaper?
Well, if you compare the price of my bars to Hotchkis or SLP (front only) who are the only others to make 35mm+ Hollow bars, you'll find mine are the least costly of the three. My front is $199, SLP's is $299, and Hotchkis is around $259 or so. My f&r set is $379, Hotchkis going to cost you at least $460 or so, usually more.

Hollow tubing is harder to bend, because it's easier to kink. Also it's harder to make hollow tubing than a solid bar which can be just milled out of a chunk.

Hopefully that helps shed some light on the costs.... As for front or both? That depends and is something that varies in each case due to a lot of factors. What is best for one person may not be for the next. They might have different springs, shocks, tires and sizes, different parameters for performance, etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

I have got stock springs with Bilstein HD's, SLP's Bolt on SFC, STB, LCA, PHR and I'm running stock 16'' rims with 245/50 street tires. I thought my car handles good...

About 2 Month ago I installed Sam's 35mm front bar and it handles really great in the turns now, much easier to control the car in turns, it feels very strong and you will notice that the bar is working.

Some times I feel that the rear is too light and I would like to have a bit more grip in the rear. So I'm going to buy the rears from him soon to find out.

Take his bar guys it's worth every cent, you won't be disappointed
Old 11-09-2005, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Z28camaroLS1
I have got stock springs with Bilstein HD's, SLP's Bolt on SFC, STB, LCA, PHR and I'm running stock 16'' rims with 245/50 street tires. I thought my car handles good...

About 2 Month ago I installed Sam's 35mm front bar and it handles really great in the turns now, much easier to control the car in turns, it feels very strong and you will notice that the bar is working.

Some times I feel that the rear is too light and I would like to have a bit more grip in the rear. So I'm going to buy the rears from him soon to find out.

Take his bar guys it's worth every cent, you won't be disappointed
In this case, from what I see here and I'm taking "light" as oversteer, I wouldn't put a rear bar on it without a review of the rest of the car. Normally a 35 front, 19 (stock) rear is not at all loose.

There could a be number of things going on here. Worn tires that have lost grip as they heat-cycle. The LCA's likely have poly bushings in them that kind of stick and bind the rear axle adding roll stiffness on their own (but do it in an inconsistent manner). Maybe the rear tire pressues are too high, I find a lot of folks running like 35 in the rear, which IMHO is too much in most any street tire, and that adds spring rate and can hurt mechanical grip. Could be a combination of things.

Now, it's entirely possible he means "light" in a different context. Such as, a little sloppy, or a feeling of instabilty, which are VERY common. And stems from the shock damping (or lack thereof) to control the rate of roll, and/or insufficient spring or bar to control the amount of roll....

Classic case, and the above is an example of how wires can get crossed when e-mail is involved.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Now, it's entirely possible he means "light" in a different context. Such as, a little sloppy, or a feeling of instabilty, which are VERY common. And stems from the shock damping (or lack thereof) to control the rate of roll, and/or insufficient spring or bar to control the amount of roll....
I think this is the ticket. I have the 35mm bar, SFC's, 1LE springs (99 SS), and rod end LCA's. I bet its the 70,000 mile deCarbon's. The rear of the car sorta lays over under power on exit. Tires are Nittos with about 30 PSI, fronts are Firehawk Wide Ovals with about 32 psi.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I think this is the ticket. I have the 35mm bar, SFC's, 1LE springs (99 SS), and rod end LCA's. I bet its the 70,000 mile deCarbon's. The rear of the car sorta lays over under power on exit. Tires are Nittos with about 30 PSI, fronts are Firehawk Wide Ovals with about 32 psi.

Those old shocks certainly aren't helping anything...

Shocks are more transient devices than anything. You will feel better control with shocks when making some kind of change in direction, and the will slow the roll rate. However, in this instance it seems you don't like the way the car falls over on corner exit. I do think shocks would help, but here it sounds more like too little bar. The car falling over on outside rear tire as power is applied is more likely to be helped with bar.

Can't know for sure, again phone calls are the only way... But it sounds like a combination of bar and shock. Funny thing is I think you are seeing the worst of both things. Have to pick on and try it first, and see what happens. I think I'd start with shocks though. It's common to misinterpret rolling too quickly and unchecked with rolling too "much".

Tough call. I'd be curious to discuss.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

I may be explaining it a little poorly. It could also be that the added mechanical grip in the front was just a change in acclimated feel. It never feels out of control, just different. The rear is never sliding, it just transitions from the turn to straight up quicker. Perhaps going from having to wait on the nose to settle down to reapply power, to being able to stand on it just presents a unaccustomed feel. I notice it much less than when I first did the bar and LCA's (nearly the same time). I have only put about 500 miles on the car in the last three months. I am very happy with the front bar. I need to get off my lazy butt, and install the rear bar. Centerfire rifle season for deer opens in Missouri on Saturday. Car modding time is limited.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I get it... Yep, get the rear bar on. Hell, it's easier than the front bar install!!!!

Old 11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TTT.....for Sam

Hey when is the next sale on the bars? I only need the front.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 11-10-2005, 09:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Fronts are always available individually. No sales planned. I'm already the cheapest of the 3 35mm or higher hollow bars (Strano, Hotchkis, SLP) by a long way.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Fronts are always available individually. No sales planned. I'm already the cheapest of the 3 35mm or higher hollow bars (Strano, Hotchkis, SLP) by a long way.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Sam that really did help out. (I know that sounds sacastic but I really mean it).