Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

100+mph braking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 100+mph braking?

When i apply the brakes over 100mph it seems they have no stopping power at all, like they are glazed up and don't grip the rotor. Do they always feel like that at those speeds?

I have Hawk HPS pads up front with stock rotors.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

I have the carbotec XP9's and I'll have to upload a video of me racing a car this weekend. I went from 120 to 70 in about two seconds..well, it felt like that anyway.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same pads with Eradi Speed rotors. How old are your pads? You could also try some sloted rotors to allow the gas between the pad and rotor to escape, that could be the glazed feeling your experiencing.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6
When i apply the brakes over 100mph it seems they have no stopping power at all, like they are glazed up and don't grip the rotor. Do they always feel like that at those speeds?

I have Hawk HPS pads up front with stock rotors.
I don't have hawk pads, I have car quest performance pads and one time I was going 70 then I decided to keep giving it more gas and I was about 110 and the dam light up in front turned red I had about blocks to stop before I hit the cars waiting at the light.

Well I tap on the brake easy, I thought hey, I got enough room to not use the brake excessivly. But I was wrong. After about half a block I started apply heavyly on the brake and dam car would not seem to slow down. I thought ****, Im going to have to go out onto the side of the road and take the fence thats their with me, instead of hitting the cars in front of me.

Well, luckly, very lucky The car started to hold brake and slow the car down and I didn't have to crash onto the side fence.

I know I learned my lesson to never speed so fast to where I don't have a bit more the two blocks to stop going over 100mph.

Were you just out on a run or where you racing?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueSS346
I have the same pads with Eradi Speed rotors. How old are your pads? You could also try some sloted rotors to allow the gas between the pad and rotor to escape, that could be the glazed feeling your experiencing.
Less then a year old.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I don't have hawk pads, I have car quest performance pads and one time I was going 70 then I decided to keep giving it more gas and I was about 110 and the dam light up in front turned red I had about blocks to stop before I hit the cars waiting at the light.

Well I tap on the brake easy, I thought hey, I got enough room to not use the brake excessivly. But I was wrong. After about half a block I started apply heavyly on the brake and dam car would not seem to slow down. I thought ****, Im going to have to go out onto the side of the road and take the fence thats their with me, instead of hitting the cars in front of me.

Well, luckly, very lucky The car started to hold brake and slow the car down and I didn't have to crash onto the side fence.

I know I learned my lesson to never speed so fast to where I don't have a bit more the two blocks to stop going over 100mph.

Were you just out on a run or where you racing?
It was just a run...no racing.

I got the same feeling but i had plenty of room to slow down. I first braked like normal and at first they seemed to grab but then lost it right after that. This isn't the first time but this time i remembered and posted to see if anyone had in input on it.

Only thing is if it slips my mind and i'm up at those speeds and really do need to slow down if that happens i'm screwed.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock brakes didnt do much for me at 140. kinda scary when your stopping distance is nearly twice what instinct tell ya. the C5 calipers are much more predictable...
Old 11-15-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if ya got distance, you could try hittin brakes for a few, letting off for a bit, then gettin on em for a few. kinda like if it doesn't have abs sorta(trying to describe like on-off interval). Try some slotted rotors (not drilled) and aftermarket pads and see if that doesn't help a bunch.
The 04 Silverado's are just plain horrible braking(more than once) with rims from 100+. I could cook steak an eggs for me and friends off those badboys. That feeling of lack of brakes is kinda sickly feelin ain't it.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

yeah i have stock breaks and above 130 they feel scary as hell lol. i feel like they're covered in oil at high speed.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

Get some PFC pads and braided lines for your brakes and don't be scared to way lay on the brake pedal. Stop like you mean it, don't just ease down on the brake pedal 'cause that will just put unnessasary heat in the brakes but don't stab them either. Use PFC pads or you might as well not use any pads at all.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:13 AM
roy
TECH Resident

If your having brake problem , I would get it check out , it could be something as simple as the caliper guide pins need cleaning and lubing. As for the HPS pads , they should be fine, I friends over herein germany running that pad on race tracks 15minutes at a time, seeing speeds up to 120mph and braking down to 60 mph with no problem.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS2win
Stock brakes didnt do much for me at 140. kinda scary when your stopping distance is nearly twice what instinct tell ya. the C5 calipers are much more predictable...
i thought the c5 calipers where basically the same as the f bods, exept they run a slightly bigger rotor so it allows for it. plz correct me if iam wrong i would like to know for sure!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

I live in Germany and HAD the same problem when driving on the Autobahn. I bought EBC front dimpled and slotted rotors along with the RED stuff ceramic pads. It solved all my brake fade problems. I have no problem jamming the brakes at speeds of 160MPH

It's all about getting the expandling gasses and crap a place to escape.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyhawk101
It's all about getting the expandling gasses and crap a place to escape.
It's actually about actually putting decent pads on the car. You changed pads (a big deal) and rotors (not a big deal) and credit the rotors with the performance gains. If you try those pads on a "blank" rotor, you'll find that they work the same.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know, when I had stock brakes I had a brake or die situation @ 120. I stood on the brakes, ABS engaged, I was chirping the fronts, smoke was everywhere, I slowed down real freaking quick. Every single loose item in the car was either under the pedals or at the front of the dash.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

think how fast those rotors are spinning... so insane to think about

the stock rotors hot spot so easily because they just let everything stay, slotted rotors allow the pads to breath and not clog up or glaze over. you might want to try to rough up your pads though. drive backwards and apply the brake and do that a few times and see if that helps
Old 11-22-2005, 12:26 PM
roy
TECH Resident

I give up
Old 11-22-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roy
I give up

Me too.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trackbird
Me too.

One day, they will learn (or NOT).
Old 11-23-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought Hawk HPS pads were pretty good...so EBC would work much better for what i'm wanting to improve on?

Quick Reply: 100+mph braking?