Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

awesome handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default awesome handling

i want my 95 Z to handle so good you think its gonna take flight insted of go around the turn. whats the best to go. but i also want to take it to the drags and be able to bring the wheels off the ground a few inches and run about low 12's to high 11s
Old 11-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
i want my 95 Z to handle so good you think its gonna take flight insted of go around the turn.
That doesnt sound right. I think broken sway bars, flat tires, blown shocks or just a slick road and bald tires (or slicks) can send you flying.

I think you mean that you would like it to handle like its on rails.
In which case (if you want to go all out):
* shocks
* larger sway bars
* stiffer springs
* stickier tires (on larger & wider wheels to facilitate shorter sidewalls and improved contact patch)
* rod-ended rear lower contol arms
* rod-ended panhard rod
* rod-ended front A-arms
* sub-frame connectors
Thats just a rough list, not a buying guide.
This will also give you a stiff ride (since the rod-ended stuff are race parts).

but i also want to take it to the drags and be able to bring the wheels off the ground a few inches and run about low 12's to high 11s
A suspension setup for Road Race / AutoX handling is very different from a suspension setup for Drag Racing. If you want a setup that is good for both you will have to compromise or get a system that allows for a lot of adjustablility.

You need to look at it as an entire system and buy components that complement eachother. If you want more specifics, do some searching and reading in this section (Handling & Braking) and give Give Sam Strano a call. He can help you out.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-26-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Sam Strano? i done some research and came up with QA-1's. however id like to have somthing that dosent need to be ajusted constantly. i think perhaps i will go all out road/auto x with my Z and build my s10 for an all out drag truck.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to chime in by warning you that our salisbury rear axles don't handle narrow sidewalls too well when it comes to lateral grip. The largest wheel diameter should be 17 inches to the standard overall tire and wheel diameter (essentially a plus one size from stock 16 inch). As far as the tread width, you can definitely go wider.

Adjustible shocks only need to be adjusted when you either, desire to change the shock performance for the desired driving condition, or change spring rate and/or ride height. The QA1's aren't really great shocks when it comes to adjustibility. Like KYB's, their single adjustible shocks simultaneously adjust rebound and compression, not particularly desirable when you really should adjust rebound when your compression is where you want it.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can unhook the front swaybar at the track, and even drop in stock rear springs pretty quickly. Although with front 550+ front spring rates, weight transistion is not optimal. But you can make a lowered handling car work 'ok' at the track.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Foxxton
I would like to chime in by warning you that our salisbury rear axles don't handle narrow sidewalls too well when it comes to lateral grip. The largest wheel diameter should be 17 inches to the standard overall tire and wheel diameter (essentially a plus one size from stock 16 inch). As far as the tread width, you can definitely go wider.

Adjustible shocks only need to be adjusted when you either, desire to change the shock performance for the desired driving condition, or change spring rate and/or ride height. The QA1's aren't really great shocks when it comes to adjustibility. Like KYB's, their single adjustible shocks simultaneously adjust rebound and compression, not particularly desirable when you really should adjust rebound when your compression is where you want it.
when i do all this im getting a moser 12 bolt also. cause like i said i want high 11's. i wanna be safe. so should i just go with some edelbrock IASs and hotchiks swaybars, torque arm, trailing arms and SFCs? possibly some better front springs and a STB?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I'd like to rephrase that our rear-end handling, rather than the rear axle durability. Without hogging the thread, you need some lateral stress in your tires so you can detect it's limit before it breaks loose on a corner.

From what I've heard (inside and outside this forum) IAS's aren't a very good shock for high performance mobility. Before I made the move up to motorsport shocks, I ran some Koni DA's, though Koni SA's would serve you better for what you want. As expensive as they are, they're every bit worth the money.

Shock tower braces are mostly placebo when it comes to improving handling. The discussions about them has been beat to death, so I will encourage you to perform a search on that one. If you care to improve front end sway, choose a larger sway bar. The front ends on F-body's are very rigid due to a well designed K-member and front end chassis design from the factory.

In regards to trailing arms, go for a high quality rod-end, not poly. Once again this also is a beaten subject, so I will let you perform a search. Binding is what you want to avoid when it comes to handling, because it can make the rear-end break loose unexpectedly in a corner.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sam Strano?
He knows a lot about suspensions.
He is a Sponsor of LS1Tech as well.
Check out his shop online at www.stranoparts.com

Quick Reply: awesome handling