Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are there disadvantages to lowering your fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are there disadvantages to lowering your fbody?

I really can't decide if I want to lower my SS. Besides ground clearance, are there any other disadvantages to lowering my SS? Are there more advantages than disadvantages? Thanks!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travisnd
I really can't decide if I want to lower my SS. Besides ground clearance, are there any other disadvantages to lowering my SS? Are there more advantages than disadvantages? Thanks!
You will have less traction until you get some LCA relocation brackets and your car's ride will be stiffer than before with the new springs. I would like to lower mine but my headers and duals scrape on some of bigger speed bumps around here. Also, I'm going to get the relocation brackets since they provide extra traction on a non-lowered car.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After lowering you have to use angles when entering and leaving parking lots. It helps to do it slowly, sometimes you can't turn left quickly across traffic into an entrance and hit it perpendicularly. Have to wait for a larger opening in traffic so you can turn slow and hit it on an angle. Avoid speed bumps.

Mine is lowered and I love it. It is my first lowered car, on the interstate you do not get blown around. Semi's passing won't suck you towards them. I let my lady drive it on the interstate and when we got out to get gas the wind was blowing so hard it was difficult to open the gas station door. But while driving we had no idea, and the was the first time she drove it.

I think that the aero advantages outway the scraping. I plan on lowering my other car too.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

They have a tendency to suck up road dirt to the motor. Kind of like a vaccum cleaner.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

It all depends on your driving style and what roads are like in your area. First off you need to have nice roads because of obvious ground clearance issues and the fact that the ride will be a bit stiffer with the lower springs. Also, if you are going drag mainly and need the weight transfer then stay stock height. If you are going for appearance or handling then go lower. The lowered center of gravity will allow your car to handle much better in the turns and IMO looks sweet. Hope this helps..
Old 12-06-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

the only disadvantage is if you half *** it and dont get all the complimenting parts.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

What all is needed to lower your car properly? I was thinking of springs, adjustable panhard and relocation brackets for lca's. Anything else?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by travisnd
What all is needed to lower your car properly? I was thinking of springs, adjustable panhard and relocation brackets for lca's. Anything else?
This falls under
the only disadvantage is if you half *** it and dont get all the complimenting parts.
You definately need shocks...

Springs AND shocks are required

then anything else

LCA relocators are sorta optional for the reasons stated above
Adjustable panard is a must if your running wider than stock tires...
Old 12-06-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Clearance and traction is the main disadvantages for me as well. I recommend DMS springs. They have a progressive rate and they have a great price to.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Travis, ground clearance is an issue, if you get a spring that drops your car more than 1.5" you need to be cautious espesically with a 35th SE. Search as many post as you can on different setups, and choose the one that fits your driving style the most. In addition to a drop, your car will require other suspension parts (i.e. panhard rod, relocation brackets, front end alignment).

My setup: Eibach pro-kit, QA1 adjustables, adj. panhard rod, weld-in relocation brackets. I love the stance and it negotiates turns well, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone else for the reason that the struts/shocks fail to dampen the springs as much as i'd like. If I could do it over I would choose a 1" drop spring (Hotchkis and BMR)with an adj. strut/shock combo...

I think there are more advantages than disadvantages, READ READ READ and consult some of the sponsors>>>>>>> and you'll find the right set-up
Old 12-07-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Theres a sticky thread up in the Brakes and handling section that shows different springs and how they look...
Old 12-09-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

I've never had or driven a lowered f-body, but I do have a lowered '88 Mustang GT that I first drove with the factory Ford springs. Also, I have done some research on the advantages and disadvantages of lowering springs on f-bodies.

Advantages to lowering:
1. better handling
2. no 4x4 wheel well

Disadvantages to lowering:
1. stiffer ride
2. decrease in weight transfer
3. the need for expensive matching parts such as revalved Bilsteins or Koni shocks to properly dampen the springs
4. the possibility of losing the optimal factory rear control arm angle--requiring you to buy relocation brackets to get it back
5. the possibility of the car being lower in the back and higher in the front (as I've read the experiences of Camaro owners with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs or even with the SLP Eibachs)
6. the possibility of having to buy an adjustable panhard rod to recenter your rear-end
7. the possibility of needing a front-end alignment
8. you'll be tempted to buy bigger rims and tires to compliment the lowered look

So, I count 8 disadvantages versus 2 advantages. Personally, I think the worst disadvantage is the stiffer ride. I still have the factory springs at a little over 50,000 miles. I think it rides stiff enough with the factory springs, but I think that replacing my probably-worn out factory shocks with Bilstein HD's will make the car ride like a luxury car. I wouldn't want to drive the car if the ride got any stiffer. I think that, in the end, it's your call: do you want to sacrifice comfort for looks or looks for comfort?

Last edited by damon_Z; 12-09-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Launching!

As already mentioned, the biggest disadvantage for me was the loss of ride quality. I love how my car looks and handles with drop springs, but hot damn, if I'm not on a smoothly paved road it feels like my car will shatter into pieces.

Of course, upgrading my shocks would probably be a good idea
Old 12-11-2005, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

If your shocks are matched to your springs the ride wont be horrible. If the shock cant control the spring then thats when it dosent work like it should.

Quick Reply: Are there disadvantages to lowering your fbody?