Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SS braided brake lines - improve pedal feel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default SS braided brake lines - improve pedal feel?

Anyone who has em chime in. I'm looking to stiffen up the feel of the brakes and make the pedal feel more responsive.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Anyone who has em chime in. I'm looking to stiffen up the feel of the brakes and make the pedal feel more responsive.
Maybe a simple flush and bleed will help you out a little. Depending on how long it's been since the last one.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Good Question... Stainless steel brake lines have basically no flex as compared to OE rubber style which can expand. With this elimination of flex there is generally a better feel in the pedal as well as a bit quicker response time since you do not have to wait for the rubber hose to finish expanding before full pressure is obtained at the caliper. I think you will be very happy with pedal feel once you have this type of flex lines on your car. Good Luck
Old 01-26-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut open an OE brake line ... you will see a steel braided liner.

The jury is still out, as far as I'm concerned. I think the stiffer, better feel under the pedal is from the system flush and typical brake fluid upgrade that goes along with it, more than and flex or expansion the OE line sees.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Cut open an OE brake line ... you will see a steel braided liner.

The jury is still out, as far as I'm concerned. I think the stiffer, better feel under the pedal is from the system flush and typical brake fluid upgrade that goes along with it, more than and flex or expansion the OE line sees.

That is correct, but there are other parts of the stainless steel lines that make them far superior. When you get a good set, you will get a Teflon inner part which also resists expansion. Here is a link that has additional information about this type of brake line. http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/brake-hoses.html

The brakes are one of the most important systems in a car, so why not have the best available parts throughout.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's basically what I'm debating, whether a flush and fluid upgrade would be fine or if I should upgrade the lines as well. I'm really not looking to replace the rotors/pads/calipers at this time so just looking for a cheaper alternative in the meantime.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its good for keeping my eggs from sticking to the skillet, but how does teflon resist hose expansion? I thought that ss lines were developed in order to shield high pressure hoses from external damage.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Teflon coated bullets penetrate body armor. It's pretty tough stuff.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Slippery maybe. Tough I dont know. Maybe it will help the brake fuild slide.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

I have a firmer pedal now since I changed to braided lines.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

To answer your question- yes, it will help with brake pedal feel.

I take my car road coarses and so I added the SS lines. All I can say is the pedal is rock hard now, no more mushyness. It's not a daily driver so I somewhat miss the feeling when in any other car.

Having taken my car to road coarses, I bleed the brakes frequently. With the stock rubber lines on, there was always a "mushy" feeling even right after changing the fluid. With the SS lines on, I get in and the it's like you can almost feel the pads hit the rotors- it's that solid. Nice comfortable feeling.

As I said, I was thinking about changing out my stock ones on the GXP just so I can get the better feel. Don't get me wrong, the GXP is good, just not great.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, and the teflon is to help with the application and release of the brake pad. It's supposed to reduce friction (surprise) of the fluid to the wall of the brake hose. This friction actually causes some of the delay between the application of the brake pedal to the pads engaging the rotors. Ditto the release of the brakes. Of course, we're talking milliseconds so it's not really noticable, but that's the purpose.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the real world feedback, appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

A recent 5-year government study found that Teflon is a significant cancer risk. Dupont, the major manufacturor, has complied with a government request to stop its manufacture. (This was in the press last week)

Unfortunatley, currently there is no viable Teflon substitute that has similar charateristics. For now, your choice is caliper cancer or a mushy brake - BOTH significant health risks!

Additional suggestion: Toss you non-stick pans - IMMEDIATELY!
Old 02-23-2006, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Then I wont eat the Teflon out of my brake lines as I planned.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Damn, and I have to stop using them as straws. Junior, give me that back!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

teflon tubing is kinda like a poly tube flexible yet rigid. It is a liner (not lining) liner is a tube (lining is a coating) simpleton break down. any how between that an the SS jacket leads to a rigid (sort of) hose. And if you cut open a factory line it's braded but it's like thread stretchy think of a Bias Ply tire compared to a Steel Belted Radial.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cut open an OE brake hose and you will find a SS cord. It's just wrapped in a "rubber" coating to keep sand and grit from getting in the braid and turning it into sandpaper on the inner liner.

The firmer pedal feel is from a good brake fluid flush and an upgraded brake fluid (typiaclly). I ran my '98 TA for years on road courses and I couldn't feel any difference when I changed to Earl's lines.

On my CMC road race car, I bought Goodrich banjo fittings that converted the line to -3AN and bought ready made lines. I then installed a -3AN to flared bulkhead connectore and went through the fender well. I then re-plumbed the brake line all teh way to the master cylinder, getting the brake lines out of the K-Member.

Now, when I drop the motor out the bottom, I don't have to breech the brake system ... Castrol SRF is EXPENSIVE! Just hang the calipers on the body, and drop the K.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

And what would be considered an "upgrade" for brake fluid?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I use Castrol SRF ...

But there is ATE Super Blue, Motul ...

And the leak many get at the caliper is because those washers are not washers ... they are crush seals. and like a gasket, they should be replaced.

And get good ones made from copper. the aluminum ones sent with most kits take too much torque to seal well. Pulling the threads out of a cast aluminum caliper is not a good thing.

As far as torque on the banjo bolt, I snug the bolts and then pressurize the system. I then tighten till they stop leaking.

Quick Reply: SS braided brake lines - improve pedal feel?