Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks? Which ones to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shocks? Which ones to get?

Have 98 Z with 65,000 miles. HAs stock shocks on it. Which shocks should I get? I heard KYB adjustables were go. How about Bilisteins or the vevalved ones? Need more info on shocks. Go to the track and cruise some curves often And my car isa daily driver. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

I ll share with you the few things I learned after reading many post on this specific subject
You need new shocks, if you 're thinking about keeping your ride non-lowered , regular Bilsteins HDs are the way to go, can have them for 330$ and 95% of people here will tell you that really the way to go
if you have more $$$, and might go lower in the future, Konis adjustable are the best of the best, allowing you to be adjust for future lowring spring
I would stay away from KYB, I had them on my previous car , didnt like them at all
anyway thats my .02
do a search on bisltein hd and you ll see all the good thing people say about them
Old 01-29-2006, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

oh I forgot to mention the difference in the various bilsteins
Bilsteins HD: good for stock springs for non lowered car
Bilstein SLP: only work good with SLP springs
revalved Bilstein: from Sam Strano, matched individually to your spring and needs, around 500 if I remember well...

anyway for stock spring , Bilstein HDs , Koni if you have the money ( around 700 to a 1000,if I m not mistaking)
Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some Konis from Sam Strano for a little over $800.00 shipped. With that comes Sams advise and expertise for set up.

Last edited by JAMES RODRIGUEZ; 01-30-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

KYB's suck. Bilsteins can be good depending on your use. Koni's are excellent, but they can be overkill if you're not going to use them for handling (autox, RR, etc). Talking to Sam would not be a bad step to take if you want the proper dampening for your car.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. Got the organge stockers on my Z. I am probably thinking about the Bilisteins HD or The Koni Adjustables. How has the best price for them right now? Car has stock springs in it. Maybe in the future thinking about a possiblablity to lower the car but don't know since I know have True duals on the car.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Staging Lane

i have stock shocks, i just got a cheap used pair of stock shocks and springs, as i think they are dying. now the rear ones are totally hosed. if i buy bilstein or tokico, or konis for the rear ... will it hurt the front at all?

also any tips on installing shocks for front and rear. ive never done it before. and was planning to do it when i changed my brakes out.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I think am sold to some Bilsteins HD shocks for my car. Don't know if I want to lower my car now since I now have True duals on my car. Probably just keep the stock ride height for now and get some Bilsteins HD so that it can handle better on the road. I have those orange stock shocks on my car right now. Who has a good deal right now for some Bilsteins HD shocks (the complete set) for my car? Thanks for the Information. Keep posting up your thoughts on the Bilsteins HD's. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ROB2000
i have stock shocks, i just got a cheap used pair of stock shocks and springs, as i think they are dying. now the rear ones are totally hosed. if i buy bilstein or tokico, or konis for the rear ... will it hurt the front at all?

also any tips on installing shocks for front and rear. ive never done it before. and was planning to do it when i changed my brakes out.
http://www.ls1howto.com/

-Mike
Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IVRedZ28LS1
Thanks for the info. Got the organge stockers on my Z. I am probably thinking about the Bilisteins HD or The Koni Adjustables. How has the best price for them right now? Car has stock springs in it. Maybe in the future thinking about a possiblablity to lower the car but don't know since I know have True duals on the car.
That's quite a spread between options! Don't get me wrong, both are excellent shocks, but they have different "missions". The more control you demand, if you want shocks that can handle future upgrades, and having control over just what damping is like.... then you are talking Koni's. If you want a good all around shock for a never to lowered car, and ultimate damping and roll rate control are not high on the list, then HD's would be just fine. And of course you have Revalves that are in between. Both on price and what they do. Valved for more control, but not adjustable.

Koni's start $705/set...
HD's are $329...
Revalves are $500...

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Shocks? Which ones to get?