Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

car turns on its own help!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car turns on its own help!!!!!!!!!!!

just like the title says my car has a really bad problem. when cruising the car turns on its own, more specifically, the steering wheel turns on its own. you can even feel it. I am really tired of having to counter steer it. the car just goes nuts when I go through a street that has seen alot of semi traffic. used to think it was my alignment but after having aligned it twice I heavilly doubt it. I think it might be the rack and pinion but I'd rather get a second opinion.if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Teching In

You can have somebody check the rack before comitting to that expense, but I'd consider tires first. If they are over 5 years old, no matter how much tread is left, replace them. If your tires are new and the rack is good, take it to a good alignment shop and tell them it wanders in grooves. They can check a/o alter the caster according to the roads you drive on.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Launching!

deffinatly get under the car and check the steering rack.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

could be anything, does it do it with power on or coasting or both. Does it always pull the in the same direction?

A worn bearing, sticky brake, buckled rim, alignment, suspension fault could all cause this.

As can tyres (I've seen it first hand). A New set of tyres all looked great, balanced and aligned. But the car consitantly pulled a little the left. Changed the tyres over (same rims) and no more problem.

It would also be tram lining, what size tyres are you running and is you car slammed?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

dude have you ever thought of "trammeling" (I think thats what its called)? After I first bought my car I noticed that it woudl pull me and id have to countersteer. After looking for my problem. I realized it was the shitty roads where I live. Its almost as if the road is rutted. And the car is just trying to follow the ruts.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rgriffin
dude have you ever thought of "trammeling" (I think thats what its called)? After I first bought my car I noticed that it woudl pull me and id have to countersteer. After looking for my problem. I realized it was the shitty roads where I live. Its almost as if the road is rutted. And the car is just trying to follow the ruts.
lol dude it's called traqm lining, becaquse in days past the narrow solid tyres of vintage cars would get stuck in the tram lines that used to cover many of th roads, thus forcing the car in a different direction.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

well I have bought new tires less then a year ago. they are kumho mx 275/40/17. when I originally got the car I had a slight accident where no body damage occured but I did break the high pressure hose for the power steering and I loosened my rack. I fixed both but is sounds like my rack is lose again. regardless of that the car still did the same thing before coming lose the second time. the car does not go to one direction it goes in either direction depends on the road. It also seems to pull to whatever side harder under brakeing.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
lol dude it's called traqm lining, becaquse in days past the narrow solid tyres of vintage cars would get stuck in the tram lines that used to cover many of th roads, thus forcing the car in a different direction.

Thanks for straightening me out. I didnt think that was the right spelling.

Anyways... it sounds like thats what it is.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svteatinls1
... I did break the high pressure hose for the power steering and I loosened my rack...
Hmmm, sounds like the rack took a big hit then. Would an ear or hole have cracked during the initial accident, and finally broken, causing a loose rack again?

Originally Posted by svteatinls1
... the car does not go to one direction it goes in either direction depends on the road. It also seems to pull to whatever side harder under brakeing.
Sounds like something common to both sides, lika a loose rack.

Tell us what the problem finally turns out to be!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem. It's weird. When I'm at slow speeds and I turn the wheel all the way to the right, it feels really bumpy on my right side like I have a flat tire. But I don't.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

it's the roads and also tires in combination.

my stock goodyears were following the grooves of some roads like CRAZY, the BFG KDWS's were just as bad, my new AVON's (tire rack brand) are much better, they practically don't track at all.

the test for this is: does the car sway when you're on a perfect road surface? if no, it's just the wide tires
Old 02-08-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RareBird WS6
it's the roads and also tires in combination.

my stock goodyears were following the grooves of some roads like CRAZY, the BFG KDWS's were just as bad, my new AVON's (tire rack brand) are much better, they practically don't track at all.

the test for this is: does the car sway when you're on a perfect road surface? if no, it's just the wide tires
The tire/road combination is what I always thought it was as well. My car does it too. I was considering getting the Avon tires next anyway and now I think I'm definately going to.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I may have founded a solution....It turns out my front tires were at 25 PSI, instead of 35. So I pumped them up to 35 and see if it helps.

Quick Reply: car turns on its own help!!!!!!!!!!!