Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What would adding aftermarket shocks to stock springs do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What would adding aftermarket shocks to stock springs do?

i want to stay stock ride height (flamesuit on) because i dont want clearance issues and i actually prefer the stock height. anyways, would upgrading to bilstein or some other aftermarket shock help me? i plan on LCA, SFC, TA, 9" rear and slicks, and i dont autocross, only 1/4 mile race
Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with wanting stock ride hieght. Using good shocks is the single best improvement you can do to your suspension. For handling... Koni's are best followed by revalved Bilstein's, then regular Bilstein HD's.

Last edited by May Spin; 02-07-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by May Spin
Nothing wrong with wanting stock ride hieght. Using good shocks is the single best improvement you can do to your suspension. For handling... Koni's are best followed by revalved Bilstein's, then regular Bilstein HD's.
what kind of benefits could i expect from them?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"would upgrading to bilstein or some other aftermarket shock help me?" What do u what to do handle or 1/4 mile?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
"would upgrading to bilstein or some other aftermarket shock help me?" What do u what to do handle or 1/4 mile?
1/4 mile on a 95% daily driver
Old 02-07-2006, 11:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

What you can expect from better shocks? A LOT!

Let's see: killing of the waterbed motion as you drive. Much better straightline stability. Quicker steering response, slower body roll (the point some think the car rolls *less*), and even a much better ride when it comes to the sharp, square edged bumps that shake your dash and steering column and rattle your teeth.

All in all.... the car drives about 1000% times better. There is a reason that pretty much any post of mine starts with "shocks, shocks, shocks".

Of course shocks are all different, with different strengths and weaknesses. Hard to explain them all by e-mail. I don't have near enough info here to recommend anything solid to you. It seems you want a better driving car, you don't care about ultimate control, and you do some drag racing. Most of the time HD's suffice in that realm. But if you are planning on lowering in the future, getting into more cornering oriented areas, etc. then you want to explore further.

There are a lot of shocks for the car, and I sell most all of them. But the only ones I'll personally use are some type of Bilstein or Koni. KYB's and Tokico's aren't near the quality. Edelbrock are fine quality, but I dont' like the damping (and the price is more than Bilstein)..... and it goes on from there.

Does that help?
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-07-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What you can expect from better shocks? A LOT!

Let's see: killing of the waterbed motion as you drive. Much better straightline stability. Quicker steering response, slower body roll (the point some think the car rolls *less*), and even a much better ride when it comes to the sharp, square edged bumps that shake your dash and steering column and rattle your teeth.

All in all.... the car drives about 1000% times better. There is a reason that pretty much any post of mine starts with "shocks, shocks, shocks".

Of course shocks are all different, with different strengths and weaknesses. Hard to explain them all by e-mail. I don't have near enough info here to recommend anything solid to you. It seems you want a better driving car, you don't care about ultimate control, and you do some drag racing. Most of the time HD's suffice in that realm. But if you are planning on lowering in the future, getting into more cornering oriented areas, etc. then you want to explore further.

There are a lot of shocks for the car, and I sell most all of them. But the only ones I'll personally use are some type of Bilstein or Koni. KYB's and Tokico's aren't near the quality. Edelbrock are fine quality, but I dont' like the damping (and the price is more than Bilstein)..... and it goes on from there.

Does that help?
hey sam ya that helps a BUNCH. Ya basically i am trying to keep my stock ride height so no lowering is in the future. I can get all those advantages above even on stock springs? and like you said, i dont do any auto X but mostly 1/4 racing.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Sure can..... The stock shocks are, bar-none, the WORST OEM shocks I've ever experienced on *ANY* car. You have helped slant me a bit more toward HD's for your situation. Though I'd still like to speak with you to confirm that. BTW, HD's are $329 for the set of 4.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: What would adding aftermarket shocks to stock springs do?